Pain at top of laces

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jr, May 17, 2004.

  1. Jr

    Jr Guest

    I seem to remember someone posting a different method of
    lacing your shoes. Some websites, I think. I've googled, and
    found a lot of dead sites. One site in Germany but would
    like some more examples. Preferably in English.
    :)

    I'm getting a pain at the top of my foot because of pressure
    at the top of the lace.

    Aside from the different lacing, is there anyway, short of
    not running, which I prefer not to do, to make this pain go
    away? I haven't run in 2 days and it still hurts when I put
    shoes on that I have to lace.

    Thanks.

    Jeff.

    Tags:

  2. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    JR wrote:
    > I'm getting a pain at the top of my foot because of
    > pressure at the top of the lace.

    Jeff, I had the same problem recently - pain was just
    forward of half way between tip of big toe and back of heel.
    Both the bone and the tendon that runs to the big toe were
    sensitive, and I could really feel it when I tried to lift
    my big toe or when I pulled the big toe downwards.

    I ended up just skipping lace-holes near the sensitive area
    (see http://www.ava.org/laces.htm option "d"). Also I
    started leaving the laces as loose as I could without them
    falling off. Also "lock-lacing" at the top helps increase
    tension around the heel without increasing tension on the
    top of the foot (see
    http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/fitness/articles/lacing/ -
    "Heel Problems" variation).

    And of course icing after you run etc.

    Also when I got my next pair of shoes I went to a proper shoe-
    fitter, who told me I was now size 12 (previously I was 11
    1/2). Apparently it is not uncommon for your feet to grow in
    response to increase in mileage....

    Three weeks later and my foot is fine again (wish I could
    say the same for the back of my left knee....)

    Hope this helps.

    Daniel.

  3. .?.

    .?. Guest

    "JR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I seem to remember someone posting a different method of
    > lacing your shoes. Some websites, I think. I've googled,
    > and found a lot of dead sites. One site in Germany but
    > would like some more examples. Preferably in English.
    > :)

    Yavole.

  4. Steve P.

    Steve P. Guest

    "JR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I seem to remember someone posting a different method of
    > lacing your shoes. Some websites, I think. I've googled,
    > and found a lot of dead sites. One site in Germany but
    > would like some more examples. Preferably in English.
    > :)

    http://www.athletesfoot.com.au/content.cfm?pid=8283

    http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/performance/lacin-
    g_for_a_better_fit.html?sport=Running&gender=&product_type-
    =&feature=

    http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/lydpg28.html

    Steve

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Pain at the top of the feet sometimes means incorrect
    fitting shoes. I would recommend talking with a reputable
    shoe store that will look at your shoes, feet, and your walk
    to ensure that that your shoes are correct. I had the same
    problem and needed a wider shoe. After I got the new shoes,
    the pain was gone. Be careful about lacing really loose. I
    have a black toe due to this as my foot slid in my shoe.
    Your experiences may be different.

    Mark http://running.krisandmark.com/

    "JR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:c8-dnZObY9F2YTzdRVn-
    [email protected]
    > I seem to remember someone posting a different method of
    > lacing your
    shoes.
    > Some websites, I think. I've googled, and found a lot of
    > dead sites. One site in Germany but would like some more
    > examples. Preferably in English.
    > :)
    >
    > I'm getting a pain at the top of my foot because of
    > pressure at the top of the lace.
    >
    > Aside from the different lacing, is there anyway, short of
    > not running, which I prefer not to do, to make this pain
    > go away? I haven't run in 2 days and it still hurts when I
    > put shoes on that I have to lace.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff.

  6. Eddy Eagle

    Eddy Eagle Guest

    "JR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I seem to remember someone posting a different method of
    > lacing your shoes. Some websites, I think. I've googled,
    > and found a lot of dead sites. One site in Germany but
    > would like some more examples. Preferably in English.
    > :)
    >
    > I'm getting a pain at the top of my foot because of
    > pressure at the top of the lace.
    >
    > Aside from the different lacing, is there anyway, short of
    > not running, which I prefer not to do, to make this pain
    > go away? I haven't run in 2 days and it still hurts when I
    > put shoes on that I have to lace.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff.

    Just because a shoe has 10 eyelets doesn't mean you have to
    use them all. I've had the same type of pain and it's from
    lacing too high. Don't use the top eyelets. You could also
    lace every other eyelet (excluding the top ones). This
    allows the lacing to move more as you run. Temporarily, you
    can put a piece of duct tape across the area of your foot
    where it bothers you. I cannot imagine a case where pain
    from the lacing would ever cause me to lose one mile of
    running. Perhaps you have other ankle problems as well.

  7. Eddy Eagle

    Eddy Eagle Guest

    "JR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I seem to remember someone posting a different method of
    > lacing your shoes. Some websites, I think. I've googled,
    > and found a lot of dead sites. One site in Germany but
    > would like some more examples. Preferably in English.
    > :)
    >
    > I'm getting a pain at the top of my foot because of
    > pressure at the top of the lace.
    >
    > Aside from the different lacing, is there anyway, short of
    > not running, which I prefer not to do, to make this pain
    > go away? I haven't run in 2 days and it still hurts when I
    > put shoes on that I have to lace.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff.

    Just because a shoe has 10 eyelets doesn't mean you have to
    use them all. I've had the same type of pain and it's from
    lacing too high. Don't use the top eyelets. You could also
    lace every other eyelet (excluding the top ones). This
    allows the lacing to move more as you run. Temporarily, you
    can put a piece of duct tape across the area of your foot
    where it bothers you. I cannot imagine a case where pain
    from the lacing would ever cause me to lose one mile of
    running. Perhaps you have other ankle problems as well.

  8. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

  9. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    i used to buy various elastic laces and lace locks for
    greater comfort. i have since found that it's WAY cheaper to
    make them yourself. dead easy. i bought the laces and the
    lace locks separately at a fabric store.

    dirt cheap and highly effective.

    Cam

    In article <[email protected]>,
    redbeard <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I really like Yankz! elastic cord laces.
    >
    > http://www.yankz.com/
    >
    > They are great. Not only do you have easy on/off for your
    > shoes, but you shoes can now stretch around your feet
    > which is great for hot days and long runs.
    >
    > Be it my imagination or not, I really think I get less
    > blisters now also.
    >
    > Good luck with whatever you choose.
    >
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:31:09 -0400, JR wrote:
    >
    > > I seem to remember someone posting a different method of
    > > lacing your shoes. Some websites, I think. I've googled,
    > > and found a lot of dead sites. One site in Germany but
    > > would like some more examples. Preferably in English.
    > > :)
    > >
    > > I'm getting a pain at the top of my foot because of
    > > pressure at the top of the lace.
    > >
    > > Aside from the different lacing, is there anyway, short
    > > of not running, which I prefer not to do, to make this
    > > pain go away? I haven't run in 2 days and it still hurts
    > > when I put shoes on that I have to lace.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Jeff.

  10. Bethowmuch

    Bethowmuch Guest

    I had the same problem, be careful if you go with not lacing
    as tight. I tried that and think I wound up with
    insufficient arch support which caused even more problems.