pain behind knees

jetsan

Aug 12, 2005
Hi all
So the riding is going great (yay me) my muscles are fine but shagged but im getting pain behind the knees, a tendon or ligament i guess.
The pain is located on the on the sides at the back, the harder i ride the more it hurts but after 60/70ks it feels fine untill i wake up the next morning haha.

Ive played around with cleat position and have been stretching the legs when on flats and downs, just annoying really.

anyhelp on how to stop/reduce the pain would be much appriciated!!
cheers.

There are several things that can cause that. In my case, my first two thoughts would be: 1) seat too low, or 2) riding in too high a gear and too low a cadence.

Some other things too consider would be fore-aft seat position, or a medical condition of some sort. If the pain goes away after 60km, then I might suspect that I was pushing too high a gear at the beginning of the ride, and then using a more appropriate gear later in the ride as muscle fatigue set in.

jetsan said:
Hi all
So the riding is going great (yay me) my muscles are fine but shagged but im getting pain behind the knees, a tendon or ligament i guess.
The pain is located on the on the sides at the back, the harder i ride the more it hurts but after 60/70ks it feels fine untill i wake up the next morning haha.

Ive played around with cleat position and have been stretching the legs when on flats and downs, just annoying really.

anyhelp on how to stop/reduce the pain would be much appriciated!!
cheers.
I get a similar pain when my saddle height is too tall.
Lower the height and try that.
Des.

Exellent help there peeps, below is what i think is happening. ill play around with the seat height and take it easy for awhile. dam me and my red mist!!

"The most common cause of knee (and hip pain) in cyclists is iliotibial band (IT band) syndrome. The IT band is a thick fibrous band of tissue, which runs on the outside of the leg from the hip to the knee. Pain is caused when the band becomes tight and rubs over the bony prominences of the hip (greater trochanter) and/or the knee (lateral epicondyle). Tight inflexible lower extremity muscles may worsen the condition.
As injury is generaly a problem of overuse, it is often seen in the cyclist just beginning a training program or early in the training season when the temptation is to do too much too fast"

Do ITB problems manifest *behind* the knee? I suggest you look further down the page at the possible causes by pain location. "Posterior" seems to be what you described in your post.