Pain below right knee

M

Matt M

Hi,

I have a problem where after around 5-10 minutes of running, I get this fairly sharp pain just
below my right knee. Sometimes it causes me to slow down and walk for a few minutes and others I
can bear it, then after a minute or two it subsides and I can carry on with the rest of my run with
no pain at all.

My initial thought was shin splints, however I thought that this gets progressively worse as you
run. Also, I'm not in pain at any other time, its just after those first 5-10 minutes and it goes
away as quickly as it comes on.

As a bit of background information; I've been running sporadically for a couple of years now,
initially it was outdoors but as last winter creeped in, so did I. So for the past 6 months, I've
been using a treadmill at my local gym. At the moment I run just a few miles about 3 - 4 times a
week, just to keep myself ticking over before I get back outside again.

Any thoughts as to what this might be?

Thanks in adavance,

Matt

its called a stress fracture....an mri will let you know for sure....don't run....take it from
me...been there done that. "matt m" <sorry_I_dont_re@d_it.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem where after around 5-10 minutes of running, I get this fairly sharp pain just
> below my right knee. Sometimes it causes me to
slow
> down and walk for a few minutes and others I can bear it, then after a minute or two it subsides
> and I can carry on with the rest of my run with
no
> pain at all.
>
> My initial thought was shin splints, however I thought that this gets progressively worse as you
> run. Also, I'm not in pain at any other time, its just after those first 5-10 minutes and it goes
> away as quickly as it comes on.
>
> As a bit of background information; I've been running sporadically for a couple of years now,
> initially it was outdoors but as last winter creeped in, so did I. So for the past 6 months, I've
> been using a treadmill at my local gym. At the moment I run just a few miles about 3 - 4 times a
> week, just to keep myself ticking over before I get back outside again.
>
> Any thoughts as to what this might be?
>
> Thanks in adavance,
>
> Matt