Pain Down Leg/numb Big Toe

rclouviere

Apr 10, 2011
Over the last several months, during many rides, after several miles in the saddle, I've occasionally had pain from my buttocks, down the outside of my left hamstring that results in numbness in my toes. It's worse when I ride with aero bars for extended periods of time, but is also when riding in a standard position. I'm quite sure it isn't my shoes or pedals. Could it be my saddle.

Very frustrated and would appreciate help.

I think there's a constricted vein in your buttocks that is causing the numbness of your toes. And from the looks of it, yes, it is more likely that saddle that is the culprit. Even in a chair, some people experience that numbness of the foot (not necessarily toes only). Sometimes I also experience that when driving my car. But when I stand up, the numbness goes away. Just be aware that the numbness only occurs when you are riding because if it persists, you have to consult a doctor.

Alright let's see. I was going to say a good fitting can't hurt. I was also thinking circulation, lymphatics, and adrenals. The wrong seat in a position that constricts the circulation would not affect a teenager but an adult whose systems are slow would certainly cause some pain.
Detoxification and work on these systems of the body.

Alright let's see. I was going to say a good fitting can't hurt. I was also thinking circulation, lymphatics, and adrenals. The wrong seat in a position that constricts the circulation would not affect a teenager but an adult whose systems are slow would certainly cause some pain.
Detoxification and work on these systems of the body.

Since posting, I've had a bike fit and been to physical therapy, to no avail. The therapist thought it was lower back issues, but I don't think so. How would I go about working on circulation, lymphatics and adrenals?

Since posting, I've had a bike fit and been to physical therapy, to no avail. The therapist thought it was lower back issues, but I don't think so. How would I go about working on circulation, lymphatics and adrenals?
You could consult a natural pathic doctor. Usually they don't charge you for a consult just the products. There are herbal formulas to get these going. I've got a list of different herbs that I am using for these three systems it really is working. I feel warmer and the blood is flowing more. There are different foods to add to the diet as well.
You could pick some combinations yourself of something high quality. It would be like an extract or capsule formulation called something like "circulation formula/combination", "lymphatic formula" , "adrenal combination".
Might want to add more raw meals into your diet. It will help you detoxify. Obviously you've got to stretch every day. Its from your butt to your hamstring. It starts in the sciatic nerve it sounds like. Weird that it goes to the hamstring. You strained the whole situation. It will come back. These three systems are just slow. If they were working well you wouldn't even feel this numbness.

Reactions: rclouviere
Problem solved! I switched out my saddle for a Selle Anatomica leather saddle. It's quite a bit heavier, but took care of the problem.

I think there's a constricted vein in your buttocks that is causing the numbness of your toes. And from the looks of it, yes, it is more likely that saddle that is the culprit. Even in a chair, some people experience that numbness of the foot (not necessarily toes only). Sometimes I also experience that when driving my car. But when I stand up, the numbness goes away. Just be aware that the numbness only occurs when you are riding because if it persists, you have to consult a doctor.
You were right Corzhens! Switched out saddle to a Selle Anatomica and problem solved....

Sorry to hear that you're having this pain. As others have said, it sounds like a constriction somewhere. I tend to have that same issue while driving a car. My left leg will go numb, throb, and then my toes lose feeling. Definitely remember to stretch and maybe take an aspirin (if you're not allergic) before you go on your ride to help increase your circulation. I know that's helped me with my sitting issues. Hope you feel better!

You were right Corzhens! Switched out saddle to a Selle Anatomica and problem solved....

Yes, Corzhens was absolutely right. It was due a nerve being compressed under the seat. And since nerves run through long lengths, and few of the nerves from buttock travel up to the big toe. That is why you had pained in both of the regions.
Glad your problem is resolved now.