pain free transition

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by John, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I'd like to do another half IM in June in the Georgia Mtns (2001 6.5 hours), but I'm not sure if my
    body can hack it.. While the swim and bike were great, the run was painful. Huge body cramps (back,
    stomach, legs, achilles, toes) until mile 11. Even though I'm a better cyclist than runner, I enjoy
    running more and put alot more training hours running than cycling. Plus because I usually ride hard
    on my bike, it hurts my running, so I put many more hours running than riding my bike. BTW, I
    trained using little or no bricks

    My new focus, which I'm opening up to comment (or flames) is that I concentrate on comfortably
    transitioning from the bike to the run. So instead of focusing on the those long slow weekend runs.
    I'm thinking about doing my long runs as a brick. Start my Sunday morning with an hour or two of
    effortless spinning around the flats, then pulling on my running shoes and run for 1 to 2 hours. My
    goal is to finish strong and healthy, not ready for an ambulance.

    As an aside, I train often 3-4x/week, but I'm not disciplined as the average triathlete; I skip the
    weekend long runs often due to family or work obligations; so I'm uneven in my training which
    probably hurts the most. thanks, John

    Tags:

  2. Triathlt B

    Triathlt B Guest

    John, Some long bricks are good. However since most of your pain comes in the early miles try doing
    some transition runs after most of your long rides. Just 20 minutes of running after a long ride
    gets your legs used to the bike to run transition. Also do not cut back on your bike. Coming off the
    bike feeling strong will also make your run transition more effortless. Also propper
    fueling/hydration on the bike is important. Hope this helps a bit.
    B.Oliver

  3. Phil Mee

    Phil Mee Guest

    [email protected] (John) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'd like to do another half IM in June in the Georgia Mtns (2001 6.5 hours), but I'm not sure if
    > my body can hack it.. While the swim and bike were great, the run was painful. Huge body cramps
    > (back, stomach, legs, achilles, toes) until mile 11. Even though I'm a better cyclist than runner,
    > I enjoy running more and put alot more training hours running than cycling. Plus because I usually
    > ride hard on my bike, it hurts my running, so I put many more hours running than riding my bike.
    > BTW, I trained using little or no bricks
    >
    > My new focus, which I'm opening up to comment (or flames) is that I concentrate on comfortably
    > transitioning from the bike to the run. So instead of focusing on the those long slow weekend
    > runs. I'm thinking about doing my long runs as a brick. Start my Sunday morning with an hour or
    > two of effortless spinning around the flats, then pulling on my running shoes and run for 1 to 2
    > hours. My goal is to finish strong and healthy, not ready for an ambulance.
    >
    > As an aside, I train often 3-4x/week, but I'm not disciplined as the average triathlete; I skip
    > the weekend long runs often due to family or work obligations; so I'm uneven in my training which
    > probably hurts the most. thanks, John

    And people complain about ME being sad.

    You need to train more, fat boy!!!

  4. Billx

    Billx Guest

    For myself I find replacing calories and salts lost on the bike is crucial to having a good run. You
    need to practice refueling on the bike and running afterwards to see what mix of salts/food work
    best for you. I ran my first 1/2 IM without practicing and tanked big on the run because I didn't
    eat on the bike and couldn't make up for it and the salt loss during the run. Afterwards I practiced
    and found even a 'little" salt during the bike mixed with some Gatorade went a long way towards
    solving the cramping problem.