Pain in Arches

triguy98

Sep 19, 2004
New bike, new shoes, new pedals. Need help dialing in my pedal position.

After riding for 5- 10 minutes, I get strong cramping feeling in my arches to the outside of the foot. stretching help a tiny bit. Getting of the bike, the cramps go away within a minute, and come back after a couple minutes in the saddle.

I am not new to clipless, and this is the first time I've run into the problem.

triguy98 said:
New bike, new shoes, new pedals. Need help dialing in my pedal position.

After riding for 5- 10 minutes, I get strong cramping feeling in my arches to the outside of the foot. stretching help a tiny bit. Getting of the bike, the cramps go away within a minute, and come back after a couple minutes in the saddle.

I am not new to clipless, and this is the first time I've run into the problem.

Not sure if this is your problem, but - I also used to have pain in my arches, it was from overpronation and a case of plantar fascitiis (I used to be a runner and duathlete). Do you have high arches? If so, you may have a similar condition. Get a pair of insoles that have arch support and mold to your feet. For example, Sidas (yes, Sidas, NOT Sidi) Conformable Insoles or Carnac Insoles, etc.

actually, i have fairly flat feet. I might try switching my cleats over to my older shoes and see if the problem occurs again just to rule out the new shoes/ lack of support or cleat positioning.

Might just have to take a allen out with me next time and continuously play with it. Not exactly my idea of a productive ride

BikingBrian said:
Not sure if this is your problem, but - I also used to have pain in my arches, it was from overpronation and a case of plantar fascitiis (I used to be a runner and duathlete). Do you have high arches? If so, you may have a similar condition. Get a pair of insoles that have arch support and mold to your feet. For example, Sidas (yes, Sidas, NOT Sidi) Conformable Insoles or Carnac Insoles, etc.

triguy98 said:
actually, i have fairly flat feet. I might try switching my cleats over to my older shoes and see if the problem occurs again just to rule out the new shoes/ lack of support or cleat positioning.

Might just have to take a allen out with me next time and continuously play with it. Not exactly my idea of a productive ride

Oops! I meant to say low arches, NOT high. Sorry....

so the insoles will help with the arches, even on flat feet?

The feeling is the same as I got while backpacking this past summer. I just thought about it. Same spot. Not comfortable.

BikingBrian said:
Oops! I meant to say low arches, NOT high. Sorry....

triguy98 said:
so the insoles will help with the arches, even on flat feet?

It's probably worth trying, I would think. Insoles aren't that pricy, either. In my street shoes I wear custom-made orthotics to raise my arches. You can find them online or go to a podiatrist. They make ones for cycling shoes as well. But, they cost about $100 or so. The insoles are usually about $20 up to about $45 or so for the ones which conform to your feet (Sidas). You use a hairdryer to soften up the material, step into them, and when they cool they get hard. They will help stop your arches from flattening out more than is necessary. (If that is the problem, which it sounds like it might be....)

Is there anyway this is equipment/position related vs crappy arches? Again, never had this problem before on bikes...

hmmm....very hard to say. You might be right, and it could very well be equipment-related. On the other hand, you said you had a similar type of pain when backpacking, when you are placing stresses on the feet and arches. To rule out whether or not it's the equipment, maybe you should go back to your old pedals and/or shoes and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't clear up with different pedals and shoes, then you can be fairly sure it's your arches.

Your new shoes may be to tight. If you are cranking down the straps, try loosening them slightly. The upper part of the shoe should break in a bit eventually. Then you should be able to tighten them down a bit more. I had this issue with the outside of my left foot.