Pain in back of rib cage

YannisG

Aug 31, 2004
After high intensity sections of long rides I get a pain in the lower back part of the rib cage on the left side. The pain will subside quickly after the end of the ride. Recently I had to take advil to relieve the pain during a 6 hour ride.

Has anyone experience such a similar problem? Any recommendation will be appreciated.

YannisG

YannisG said:
After high intensity sections of long rides I get a pain in the lower back part of the rib cage on the left side. The pain will subside quickly after the end of the ride. Recently I had to take advil to relieve the pain during a 6 hour ride.

Has anyone experience such a similar problem? Any recommendation will be appreciated.

YannisG
Hello-
I am experiencing something similar.
I tried icing it and it has helped.
Try to localize the pain first.

BillBB said:
Hello-
I am experiencing something similar.
I tried icing it and it has helped.
Try to localize the pain first.
Thanks for yr response.
Does yr pain persist after you stop riding so you ice it to releif the pain?
In my case as soon as I stop it does away completely within 15 minutes, but it bothers me while riding.
I have not been able to localize the pain. That is, pressing in the area a cannot locate a point of pain.

Thanks
YannisG

YannisG said:
Thanks for yr response.
Does yr pain persist after you stop riding so you ice it to releif the pain?
In my case as soon as I stop it does away completely within 15 minutes, but it bothers me while riding.
I have not been able to localize the pain. That is, pressing in the area a cannot locate a point of pain.

Thanks
YannisG
Hmm,... Maybe it is not the same... Mine used to hurt a lot when I would be riding hard and it would quickly go away after done like yours. It was hard to localize. I do not ride that much distance (about 60 miles a week) but I do ride hard (for me, anyways,...:eek: ), so I have been able to live with it for about four months now. Lately, though, the pain has been lingering even after the ride, so I was able to localize the pain and been able to ice it, hence the improvement.
You might want to try to do several stretching exercises to see if you can identify the muscle(s)/area(s) invoved.
I hope you get better soon.

BillBB said:
Hmm,... Maybe it is not the same... Mine used to hurt a lot when I would be riding hard and it would quickly go away after done like yours. It was hard to localize. I do not ride that much distance (about 60 miles a week) but I do ride hard (for me, anyways,...:eek: ), so I have been able to live with it for about four months now. Lately, though, the pain has been lingering even after the ride, so I was able to localize the pain and been able to ice it, hence the improvement.
You might want to try to do several stretching exercises to see if you can identify the muscle(s)/area(s) invoved.
I hope you get better soon.

Thanks for being more specific.
Even though I do quite a lot of stretching and yoga I'll try some specific stretching in the pain area.
Thanks for helping out

YannisG said:
Thanks for being more specific.
Even though I do quite a lot of stretching and yoga I'll try some specific stretching in the pain area.
Thanks for helping out
If I were you I would try the ice even if you cannot localize the pain. Ice the general area a few times a day if possible for two or three days and see how it feels afterwards.

YannisG, don't mess about, you could be experiencing referred visceral pain, go strsight to the Doctor and get yourself checked out properly.... you can't hope to diagnose this over the internet !! :eek: