Pain in front of shoulder : Not sure what to do about this

angelo1234

Aug 23, 2003
Hello. I'm 38 yrs old and am training for my first Ironman (July 2004). I have been riding for 12 years and rode across the US in 1996. I started preparing for my race last July. In late September, I was finishing up a century ride and noticed the front of my left shoulder was sore and there was a dull pain. Ever since, it seemed to be getting worse and I was frusterated because it was very uncomfortable riding my bike. I even pushed my saddle forward thinking that would help. I expected that my legs would be sore not my shoulder and I did not know why!! Anyway, two weeks ago, I decided to see a doctor who diagnosed me with tendonitis of the long head of the biceps tendon. I think he mentioned supraspinatus as well. Anyway, he told me to rest so I rested for one week and felt somewhat better (although the area was still a little sore). Last week I decided to see a sports medicine doctor who diagnosed me with weak rotator cuff muscles and prescribed PT. Well, I decided to do an easy 1:30 ride yesterday and noticed the pain is still there. I am going to PT so I will definitely ask about this. Has this happened to any one? How long did it take for you to get better? What was your treatment and rehab plan?

Originally posted by angelo1234
Hello. I'm 38 yrs old and am training for my first Ironman (July 2004). I have been riding for 12 years and rode across the US in 1996. I started preparing for my race last July. In late September, I was finishing up a century ride and noticed the front of my left shoulder was sore and there was a dull pain. Ever since, it seemed to be getting worse and I was frusterated because it was very uncomfortable riding my bike. I even pushed my saddle forward thinking that would help. I expected that my legs would be sore not my shoulder and I did not know why!! Anyway, two weeks ago, I decided to see a doctor who diagnosed me with tendonitis of the long head of the biceps tendon. I think he mentioned supraspinatus as well. Anyway, he told me to rest so I rested for one week and felt somewhat better (although the area was still a little sore). Last week I decided to see a sports medicine doctor who diagnosed me with weak rotator cuff muscles and prescribed PT. Well, I decided to do an easy 1:30 ride yesterday and noticed the pain is still there. I am going to PT so I will definitely ask about this. Has this happened to any one? How long did it take for you to get better? What was your treatment and rehab plan?

Have you been x-rayed by an orthopedist? My presumed rotator cuff problem turned out to be arthritis.

Yes, I injured my rotator cuff twice (each shoulder). The first time was quite worrying as it simply didn't seem to want to heal. All in all, it took at least 6 months after the Doctor finally injected cortisone and steroid.
The usual treatment is to keep the shoulder strong, stretch the area and exercise it with light weights, avoiding any painful movement. Anti-inflammatories are helpful, possibly Diclophenac via a doctor.

Last week I decided to see a sports medicine doctor who diagnosed me with weak rotator cuff muscles and prescribed PT. Well, I decided to do an easy 1:30 ride yesterday and noticed the pain is still there. I am going to PT so I will definitely ask about this. Has this happened to any one? How long did it take for you to get better? What was your treatment and rehab plan?

This is exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. I never saw a doctor, but I started seeing a trainer to build myself up and he told me the exact same thing your sports doctor told you. He has been concentrating a little more on exercises to build muscle in my rotator cuffs, The pain has gone away. It was so annoying! It would hurt so bad in my left shoulder after a ride. I had no problems in the gym with it, though. It took about a month to get over it.

So ya, work the muscles in that area more and it should subside.

Well, my new shoulder problem is the triple fracture of my humerus just below the joint...the next 3 months will be slings an PT. Oh well, the skiing in Vail was excellent.