Pain in knee area after riding up-hill

mjoyce91

Aug 29, 2007
Hello, I had never really rode a bike that much before Saturday, so I decided to bike a few places the following Monday. I first biked to school, then after school I biked back home, then back to school, had cross country practice, and then to the pool where I played tennis for an hour and half, so a total of about 6 and half miles of riding. I was about to bike back home, and while I was going up a hill I had to stop because it's pretty steep, so I stepped off the bike, and when my right leg touched the ground, I got this pain in my right knee. The pain is in a weird spot, so I took a picture of it, and circled the area that hurts.

img0379qr0.jpg

I went to my school's athletic trainer today, but I think my leg was so stiff that he couldn't bend it back, so he couldn't give me any advice on what to do. He just told me to ice it, but I have a feeling it's little more serious than just needing some ice. Any one know what this is and how I can heal it?

mjoyce91 said:
Hello, I had never really rode a bike that much before Saturday, so I decided to bike a few places the following Monday. I first biked to school, then after school I biked back home, then back to school, had cross country practice, and then to the pool where I played tennis for an hour and half, so a total of about 6 and half miles of riding. I was about to bike back home, and while I was going up a hill I had to stop because it's pretty steep, so I stepped off the bike, and when my right leg touched the ground, I got this pain in my right knee. The pain is in a weird spot, so I took a picture of it, and circled the area that hurts.

I went to my school's athletic trainer today, but I think my leg was so stiff that he couldn't bend it back, so he couldn't give me any advice on what to do. He just told me to ice it, but I have a feeling it's little more serious than just needing some ice. Any one know what this is and how I can heal it?
Wow, you are busy. I suspect the pain is due to your saddle being too low. Your leg should be bent 30 degrees when the pedal is at the furthest point from your saddle. If it is less than this your knee takes more of the strain. That being said, I am not a physio so my suggestion would be to go to a bike shop (a real one) and get the bike fitted correctly and if the pain persists see a physio.

adrian knight said:
Wow, you are busy. I suspect the pain is due to your saddle being too low. Your leg should be bent 30 degrees when the pedal is at the furthest point from your saddle. If it is less than this your knee takes more of the strain. That being said, I am not a physio so my suggestion would be to go to a bike shop (a real one) and get the bike fitted correctly and if the pain persists see a physio.
thanks, that's probably what it is. it was my sister's bike and i hadn't done much adjusting before riding it, besides raising the seat.

Saddle adjustment and check your fore and aft to make sure your knees are behind your toes......;)

I believe your problem is caused by too low a cadence. The harder it is to push your pedals, the greater the strain on your knees.

Maintaining a cadence of around 80-100 revs per minute so it is quite easy to pedal will ease the strain on your knees and prevent long/short term damage.

Try sitting down in your seat and pedalling all the way up the hill, making good use of your gears, before standing on the pedals putting even more strain on your knee joints.

Cadence is the key to efficient cycling, just look at Lance Legstrong. He pushes about 150 rpm!

Hope your knee feels better.