Pain in knees...help?

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
I’m 28, been riding semi-seriously for 18 months. I have a steel bike that is slightly too big for me (getting a new one in March) but by changing the seat and stem position, it’s a comfortable ride. I’ve done some long rides, most notably I rode the Alpine Classic 2 weeks ago which is a 200km ride over 4 climbs in Victoria Australia. This took 9 hours, and I felt no discomfort (except that I was stuffed!).

On Saturday I rode with some friends and experienced pretty bad pain on the outside of both knees. It seemed to start ¾ on the way into the ride, right in the centre of the knee cap, then moved to the outside. The funny thing was that there was no pain when I was out of the saddle, just when I was seated. The ride was only 110km with one medium climb, but the rest was rolling hills. I’ve changed nothing in my setup, and the only significant event was the Alpine Classic 2 weeks ago. It was my first time back on the bike after that ride. When I got home, there was no noticeable residual pain.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to what might be causing the pain? My friends thought I was riding with my knees pointed in a bit, but I haven’t purposely changed anything. Could it be that my cleats may have slipped? Any ideas?

After I've taken a few weeks off my knees tend to not do so well for the first ride. After that they're fine. Your cleats may have slipped too; check them and see, but depending on how hard you rode, that's probably what's going on.

Strangely, I had the same issue today and it was due to the cold weather and my pushing very hard. The pain started about 20 miles into a 29 mile ride and went away by mile 26. Just take it easy if it's cold and avoid mashing any big gears for the time being.

Do a search on IT BAND - mine got set off recently by hill training to much and by increasing my weekly rides from 60K to 100K, painfull as! However read what's on forums and you'll find out the streches and the exercises to do to fix it / prevent it.

Saddle height and correct, sensible use of gears can help. Many cyclists tend to push too hard in gears that may be too high for a particular stretch of road. Are you forcing those pedals round with muscular effort or are you letting your gears take most of the toll?
On training rides it's sometimes O.K. to drop your gears down, even if you may not be riding at optimum speed. If your knees are hurting they're telling you to ease up a touch.
I speak as someone who has knee problems already and since I altered my gear technique my symptoms have improved somewhat.
Climbing and standing is less stressful on the knee according to physios so try and stand a bit more till your symptoms die down.

Walrus said:
I’m 28, been riding semi-seriously for 18 months. I have a steel bike that is slightly too big for me (getting a new one in March) but by changing the seat and stem position, it’s a comfortable ride. I’ve done some long rides, most notably I rode the Alpine Classic 2 weeks ago which is a 200km ride over 4 climbs in Victoria Australia. This took 9 hours, and I felt no discomfort (except that I was stuffed!).

On Saturday I rode with some friends and experienced pretty bad pain on the outside of both knees. It seemed to start ¾ on the way into the ride, right in the centre of the knee cap, then moved to the outside. The funny thing was that there was no pain when I was out of the saddle, just when I was seated. The ride was only 110km with one medium climb, but the rest was rolling hills. I’ve changed nothing in my setup, and the only significant event was the Alpine Classic 2 weeks ago. It was my first time back on the bike after that ride. When I got home, there was no noticeable residual pain.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to what might be causing the pain? My friends thought I was riding with my knees pointed in a bit, but I haven’t purposely changed anything. Could it be that my cleats may have slipped? Any ideas?

There have been many discussions on various message boards regarding knee pain. Thought I would provide a summary of what I found and what worked for me.

Being a member of the human race, a solution to all is difficult (e.g. one size does not fit all).

A little about me. I am 54 years old and own a recumbent trike, a Catrike Road.

I experienced knee pain with my DF, but is more profound with my new Catrike this year.

I spent exorbitant monies on a SRAM 81 speed and rotor cranks on my Catrike. Knee pain is still there, but much less.

Just bought knee savers for $46.00 and pain is again less. There are three sizes. I bought the 30mm (biggest size) only cause I am 6'4" tall and everything should be bigger to fit? They essentially move your foot/leg further away from the pedal. Details are at www.kneesaver.net/

Another less expensive solution is increasing your RPMs, cadence, higher number of revolutions. This is often called spinning at a higher rate or from a "masher" to more of a spinner. The easier exertion on the knee, the better. I use this process.

Those who ride with shoes with cleats profess if cleats are all the way to back of shoe, then knee pain is less. I did this also.

Buy good shoes and pedals. Seek medical advice if no improvements.

Another inexpensive way is have a professional fit you to your bike. And, stretching prior to and after riding is an excellent way of reducing and preventing knee pain. Stretch calves, quads and hamstrings and flex and rotate your knees before you get on your bike.... every time. Leg weight training; leg presses, extensions and hamstring work on the circuit machines can be very tough on knees. Plenty of stretching and some core exercise (without weights) should help the glutes and lower back, but you have to go slow and not overdo these either.

Doctor says is attributed to growth and told me to take some supplements that lubricate the joints and supposedly help them heal. The supplement was chondroitin+glucosamine with hyaluronic acid.

There are probably many ideas to solve knee pain as there are riders.

Recommend you start with the least expensive and move up from there.

Catrike Road #116.

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

If you might be suffering from a case of ITBS then the webpage below has one of the most comprehensive treatment programs for sufferers. A yahoo ITBS forum puts this as pretty much your first point of reference for dealing with this, and from there its what works for you
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

Bikefit is sooo important here because without correct saddle height etc. higher cadences can actually inflame ITBS further

merida905 said:
Do a search on IT BAND - mine got set off recently by hill training to much and by increasing my weekly rides from 60K to 100K, painfull as! However read what's on forums and you'll find out the streches and the exercises to do to fix it / prevent it.

Do you think chrondroitin is as important as glucosamine? I pmainly take just glucosamine and cod liver oil.

Catrike #116 said:
There have been many discussions on various message boards regarding knee pain. Thought I would provide a summary of what I found and what worked for me.

Being a member of the human race, a solution to all is difficult (e.g. one size does not fit all).

A little about me. I am 54 years old and own a recumbent trike, a Catrike Road.

I experienced knee pain with my DF, but is more profound with my new Catrike this year.

I spent exorbitant monies on a SRAM 81 speed and rotor cranks on my Catrike. Knee pain is still there, but much less.

Just bought knee savers for $46.00 and pain is again less. There are three sizes. I bought the 30mm (biggest size) only cause I am 6'4" tall and everything should be bigger to fit? They essentially move your foot/leg further away from the pedal. Details are at www.kneesaver.net/

Another less expensive solution is increasing your RPMs, cadence, higher number of revolutions. This is often called spinning at a higher rate or from a "masher" to more of a spinner. The easier exertion on the knee, the better. I use this process.

Those who ride with shoes with cleats profess if cleats are all the way to back of shoe, then knee pain is less. I did this also.

Buy good shoes and pedals. Seek medical advice if no improvements.

Another inexpensive way is have a professional fit you to your bike. And, stretching prior to and after riding is an excellent way of reducing and preventing knee pain. Stretch calves, quads and hamstrings and flex and rotate your knees before you get on your bike.... every time. Leg weight training; leg presses, extensions and hamstring work on the circuit machines can be very tough on knees. Plenty of stretching and some core exercise (without weights) should help the glutes and lower back, but you have to go slow and not overdo these either.

Doctor says is attributed to growth and told me to take some supplements that lubricate the joints and supposedly help them heal. The supplement was chondroitin+glucosamine with hyaluronic acid.

There are probably many ideas to solve knee pain as there are riders.

Recommend you start with the least expensive and move up from there.

Catrike Road #116.

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown