Pain in My Ass

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mijenks, Sep 5, 2004.

1. mijenks

mijenks New Member

Literally.

Once I reach about 10-12 miles, I start to get a sharp, pinching pain on my right backside. It's right about where my hip pivots, and it hurts really bad for about 5-8 miles, then fades. It feels like someone is giving me a shot of medicine or something back there. I don't feel it ever in my left side, only in the right.

Any ideas?

Tags:

2. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Could just be that side has a weaker muscle. It will get better with training. Maybe stretching more? That's what I would do!

Unless you are already riding a lot. (Sorry I don't know any background facts)

3. KeSs

KeSs New Member

is your seat adjusted properly? I had the same problems but i readjusted my seat and the ass and knee problems went away

4. mijenks

mijenks New Member

My suspicions are that the seat is the problem, although stretching more can't hurt. What stretch do you do for that outer muscle? When I played hockey, I used to cross my right leg over my left, so that my right foot was planted on the ground by my left knee, pull leftward on my right knee, and rotate my torso to the right. It seemed to work a lot better with skates on, though, as I recall.

5. Smartt/RST

Smartt/RST New Member

Your position on the bike should not cause any significant discomfort, especially so early in a ride. To me, this is a major sign of a more significant cause of your pain (ie: the symptom). If you have not done so already, I would recommend seeing a qualified professional about a proper fitting.
    The other possiblity is an imbalance in your muscluature; this can be either a flexibility, postural or strength issue. A sports medicine professional/physical therapist can do a postural/strength/flexibility assessment that may reveal the cause of your pain.
    Seeing a physical therapist with the proper sports background is well worth the money (and many are covered by insurance). I've seen many athletes discover imbalances they were never aware of and have since gaind significant improvements in their power after correcting for it.
    Good luck.

6. mijenks

mijenks New Member

I stretched before a ride yesterday. Stretched it really good. I didn't have any problems.