Pain in my Shin

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ufukyildirim, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Ufukyildirim

    Ufukyildirim Guest

    Hi all,
    I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started running).
    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Can't help you with your pain, but, don't be ashamed of your mileage.
    Not all of the people that read this group are in the elite category.
    I have been running around 9 mos and my longest is still only 4 mi.
    I don't have a desire to run much more than 12 - 15 mi a week.
    It keeps me fit. That is all that matters.
    HM

    "Ufukyildirim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    > I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    > having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    > week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started running).
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. John Sanders

    John Sanders Guest

    I'm no expert (by a long shot), but a few things came to mind...

    Did you gradually build to 2-2.5 miles? Just because you can push yourself
    to run those distances, doesn't mean your skeletal, muscular, and
    cardiovascular systems are ready. I guess you could either ease back on the
    mileage, or insert a 3-5 minute walking period in the middle of your runs to
    give your body a little rest.

    Are you stretching after each run? When I trained for my last marathon,
    it's seemed like I developed injuries in the parts I was not stretching (or
    not stretching well).

    If you think it might be shin splints, then here's an article from Runner's
    World.

    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-78-0-0-529,00.html

    Good luck,
    John Sanders

    "Ufukyildirim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    > I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    > having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    > week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started running).
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

  4. >Any ideas?

    Yes, trash those Nikes and buy a new pair of any other brand EXCEPT nike.

  5. FearTurtle 2

    FearTurtle 2 Guest

    The post about shin splints is a good bet. Also go to a running store (a
    true running store; not Foot Locker, etc.) and have them fit you for a shoe.
    So many people, me included, start running with bad shoes.

    Kevin
    "Ufukyildirim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    > I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    > having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    > week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started running).
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

  6. Ufukyildirim

    Ufukyildirim Guest

    Hi guys, thanks to you all.
    I should try to respond to all of you..

    Herman: Actually I am not ashamed, but that figure was just to give you an
    idea of how much I run at the moment. Besides, I used to smoke a lot,
    recently gave up. On the contrary, I am a little bit proud :)

    theBillRodgerz: Well I don't use Nike. I have a pair of Asics that I bought
    from Andy Blair, that is the best in my area.

    John Sanders: I did gradually build to 2-2.5 miles, but in a very short
    time. I set a goal that I would run this much, but in my earlier attempts, I
    used to walk for a little while after three quarters of the run. After the
    run, I lean forward to wall with one leg bent, the other straight, as if I
    am pushing the wall (that is the best I can describe with my english). And
    the other is to try to touch the floor without bending the legs. I don't
    know whether I am doing the correct things here or not but these are what I
    do. Hope you can help me a little bit about stretching. Thnak for referring
    to the article on shin splits, I will read it.

    Thanks again.

    "Ufukyildirim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    > I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    > having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    > week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started running).
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

  7. >theBillRodgerz: Well I don't use Nike. I have a pair of Asics that I bought
    >from Andy Blair, that is the best in my area.

    Cool! Just be sure you aren't wearing motion control if you don't need them.

  8. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see

    In article <[email protected]>, Ufukyildirim <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    > having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    > week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started running).
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Some folklore on shin splints and ways to think about what causes shin
    splints. A different way to think about shin splints and some things to do
    about them.

    Healing Shin Splint Folklore and Prevention
    by Austin Gontang,
    September 25, 2000

    You can help me get better. I need you to rate my articles and their
    usefulness to you. Click the appropriate rating circle at the bottom of the
    articles. Your comments are appreciated and necessary to keep me rethinking
    my folklore and continue my lifelong learning. Ozzie

    I continue to believe that the shin spints come more from the overstride and
    the deceleration and then the overstretch of the shin which should be
    relaxing but hasn't had time. It is then being stretched by the contracting
    calf muscle. For me I define an overstride as landing on the back of the
    heel of the shoe. If I were jumping up and down, I would never land on the
    heels of my shoes nor on my heels if I were barefoot. So why run landing on
    the heels...and by this I mean the back of the heels if one were barefoot.

    For me the image remains that as I place my foot under my center of gravity,
    the rest of my body is catapulted forward from that platform. This means
    that the calf contracting isn't pushing the entire body weight forward. The
    body weight has been catapulted forward by the glut/ham on the planted
    foot(the platform), the thrust forward of the elbow/shoulder of the platform
    side and the quad/psoas of the leg coming through to conterbalance the
    torque of the platform side.

    Anyway here, as you mentioned would show up in a few days, some of the shin
    splint folklore which I have shared with several thousand people over the
    past 2 decades. In case you didn't see the post above or didn't get others
    on your ISP, I've compiled them:

    Shin Splint Folklore by Ozzie
    c. 2000 Austin "Ozzie" Gontang, Ph.D.

    Folklore #1

    Shin splints are from the posterior and anterior tibilis getting tight and
    holding on and not letting go. Every step becomes a pain in the shins when
    running. Remember that the problem may be the calf muscles which means the
    shins have to work against muscles which only partially relax putting all
    kinds of strain on the shin. See article mentioned in #3 below.

    As you run, walk, let your toes relax. Often going up on the toes means the
    shin is being elongated...and if it is tight and holding on, the calves have
    to overcome the tightness in the shins...gradually the shins from being
    overstretched, tighten even more...and then your body realizes that it is
    even difficult to walk.

    As you stand during your day practice standing so that you can wiggle your
    toes at all times. Lean forward and notice how the toes dig in. That posture
    can also be a problem spot for the shins which get chronically tight and the
    running when the shins should be relaxing...that is when the calves are
    contracting...the shins only partially relax and the pain is that of ripping
    a muscle that doesn't want to let go.

    The ultimate muscle though which we have all passed goes from 0 cm to 10 cm.
    Now you realize the need to focus on relaxing as the crown pushes
    against that muscle attempting to force it to go to 10 cm too quickly.
    Breathing and relaxing can relax against that pressure. For the shins,
    it's also teaching the shins to let go. Everyone (except a few of us)
    attempt to strengthen and make the shin stronger rather than release the
    tightened and bound shin muscles.

    Folklore #2

    Get on all fours on a carpeted floor with the feet off the edge of a step.
    Place a tennis ball under one anterior tibialis. Keep most of the weight on
    the other knee and hands. Move foot easily up and down as you put more
    pressure on the tennis ball and roll it slowly over the belly of the shin
    muscle. Do the other foot the same way. See which foot is giving you the
    most pain.

    Folklore #3a

    See http://www.mindfulness.com/of1.asp. Face the railing. Turn the feet and
    entire body so that it is 45 degrees to the bar. Place the anterior shin
    over the bar so that the shin muscle and NOT the shin bone rest on the rail.
    If rail is too high, use the middle rail. Slowly make a small circle with
    the foot and slowly slide the shin down the railing. Do once or twice and
    then switch, facing the rail but turning 45 degrees in the other direction
    to do your other shin.

    Remember if you go too hard, too fast, too much, you'll only end up causing
    added problems as your muscle will tighten up even more to protect itself
    from your intensity. Go for the grace.

    Also remember that folklore means that if something doesnt' work for you,
    give it no power or energy but rather find someone who makes sense and whose
    folklore works for you.

    Folklore #3b

    One thing I've found over the years is that the peroneus, the muscle which
    runs down the outside of the leg - it everts the outside of the foot - often
    gets pulled and to protect itself it tightens- i.e. shortens. After the
    healing of the ligaments around the ankle, that peroneus (longus and medius
    portion) can remain in its semi-contracted state. which means it doesn't
    fully relax when the posterior tibialis - its counterpart - lifts the inside
    of the foot up.

    Way to loosen it with someone else helping.

    Have your partner start about 3 inches above the ankle bone. Hold as if you
    are going to strangle - fingers wrap around the lower leg, thumbs pointing
    toward each other or one thumb rests on the other thumb (if more pressure is
    desired).

    Have your partner use light pressure by pushing in with theirthumbs as you
    make a small (emphasis on small), smooth (emphasis on smooth) circle. As you
    makes small smooth circles with the foot your partner strangling your leg,
    slowly slides the thumbs up the peroneus muscle.

    The idea is that you can loosen the muscle from any adhesions and also you
    can loosen up the fascia which may be holding the peroneus from relaxing and
    going through it full range of motion.

    Usually after 3 or 4 times of small circles and your partner holding, walk.
    More often than not, you'll feel less pressure around the ankle as it can
    move more freely due to the freeing of the peroneus higher up the
    leg...which takes the tightness off the ankle area.

    The peroneus and posterior tibialis are often called stirrup muscles as they
    invert and evert the foot. They are also postural muscles and therefore slow
    twitch, in that they help maintain correct posture when functioning
    properly.

    To do the same thing, face a railing with a middle railing (see picture from
    web site). Turn your body 45 degrees and place the peroneus side of the leg
    on the bar, usually the lower is better unless you're very tall. Do the same
    foot movement as mentioned above to loosen the peroneus and the fascia which
    may be constricting the ankle for its full range of motion.

    Get back to us and let us know how it works. The web site picture where I
    have a group of people using the railing to loosen the belly of the calf
    muscle, gives you an idea of how to use the railing. The railing you want to
    use is the middle railing: http://www.mindfulness.com/of1.asp

    Folklore #3c

    > I have for the last couple of weeks had a pain just above my right inside

    ankle. If I hold up my leg and roll my foot to the inside, it causes the
    ankle to hurt. Snip-----

    If I had that pain I'd look first to see if the posterior tibialis had
    tightened up in response to the hill work.

    Second, I'd have the "deep tissue cross friction message" read: "Please do
    some work on my peroneus, especially the longus; and show me a few ways of
    how I might do that myself."

    >From what you've said, I'd look at my form to see where I was landing on my

    foot. I have been a strong proponent for ball/heel or midsole landing. That
    way I know that there is no overstride. Probably you're getting some
    overstride in you heavy workout, which causes the braking effect and causes
    the problem you mention.

    Folklore #4

    I'd look at the posterior tibialis, that muscle behind the shin bone on the
    inside.

    1. You are seated
    2. Left leg crossed on right thigh so outside of left leg rests on right
    thigh about 3 or 4 inches above right knee.
    3. place right thumb below left shin bone closest to you so it rests on the
    posterior tibialis
    4. Right hand rest on the shin bone.
    5. Place the left hand next to the right hand on the shin bone so that the
    left thumb rests on top of the right thumb.
    6. Make small (emphasis on small) and smooth (emphasis on smooth) circles
    with the left foot so there is no (spelled NO) jerkiness - otherwise
    you're just straining tendon.
    7. As you make the circle and the left toe goes downward, push in with the
    thumbs. With each circle move the thumbs about a quarter of an inch further
    up the leg.
    8. Find the spot that creates most pain and push more lightly at that spot
    so as not to create excrutiating pain and then move thumbs away first upward
    and then away downward, pushing harder so that you can feel the muscle under
    your thumbs let go.
    9. If you push too hard, go too fast, wince the face, stop breathing because
    of the pain, go too deep, you'll get the reverse of what you want.
    10. What you want is that posterior tibialis to let go so that your circle
    can move easily. Usually if it is bruised, the blood came from up above
    where the muscle tear took place and gravity let it settle where the bruise
    is.
    11. You'd like also to make sure that the posterior tibialis is not flush up
    again the shin bone. There should be some space where your thumb can go up
    that groove between the posterior shin muscle and the shin bone.

    Orgradually work to get it back, since if it's not there, then your shin is
    holding and probably the fascia won't allow the muscle to go through its
    range of motion and also the micro tears of the muscle or at the muscle
    tendon junction of the posterior shin muscle has scarred and also
    decreases the range of motion for the posterior shin.

    Let us know how it goes and what you learn so that we can all learn if my
    folklore worked for you, or was just folklore that needed to be discarded
    because it didn't work.

    Good luck with your experiment of one. Also during my training runs I often
    stop and work shins, calves, haves and quads loose so that my
    training run might be broken up by 10 or 12 stops to massage out or rub out
    the sore spots.

    Check out the two articles listed and especially the pictures. I can use
    almost anything along my running path to assist me as a tool to release or
    massage tight muscles:

    http://www.mindfulness.com/of1.asp
    http://www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp

  9. Steve Hansen

    Steve Hansen Guest

    Ufukyildirim wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    > having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    > week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started running).
    > Any ideas?

    Running with only one shin would be quite difficult,
    even for a short distance. Almost sure to cause pain.
    <grin>

    Seriously, when you over-stride, your weight comes down
    on the back of your heal. Then you use your shin muscles
    to absorb your momentum, which over-stresses those muscles.
    They aren't big enough to take that kind of force. (Shoes
    with heals that extend far behind the foot don't help.
    They give a longer lever-arm to this force.)

    Landing on the heal also wastes energy by generating 'braking'
    force. When the foot is in front of the center-of-balance
    at landing, part of the force vector is toward the rear,
    which slows you down. That is wasted energy.

    Try taking shorter steps, so that you land with the
    foot under your center of balance. If the heal lands
    first, your step is too long.

    When you land, the vertical momentum should be absorbed
    by the quadriceps (the big muscles on the front of the thigh)
    not by the little muscles on the front of the shin.

    As you get used to this, also try to minimize the vertical
    motion of your head. Up-and-down motion is just wasted
    energy, and every bit of 'up' that you do turns into a bit
    of 'down' that must be absorbed at the next step. If you
    avoid creating the vertical momentum, then you don't have
    to absorb it when you come down.

    "Efficient" running styles avoid generating vertical
    motion, and braking force. That avoids wasting energy,
    and allows more of your energy to go into forward motion,
    and in turn allows you to run faster with less effort.

    Steve

  10. Ufukyildirim

    Ufukyildirim Guest

    Thanks Steve,
    Having studied physics at university, that what you have said all made
    sense, I will try to make effort to avoid vertical movement; and also try to
    make my steps shorter, though they sound a little funny to me, because I am
    a bit tall, being 6'4". Well as I said, I gonna try those things.

    Thanks again.

    "Steve Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ufukyildirim wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > I hope you can help me. I have just started running recently. But I am
    > > having pain in my shin towards the end of each run. I run three times a
    > > week, each being about 2-2.5 miles (told you I have just started

    running).
    > > Any ideas?
    > >

    > Running with only one shin would be quite difficult,
    > even for a short distance. Almost sure to cause pain.
    > <grin>
    >

    > Seriously, when you over-stride, your weight comes down
    > on the back of your heal. Then you use your shin muscles
    > to absorb your momentum, which over-stresses those muscles.
    > They aren't big enough to take that kind of force. (Shoes
    > with heals that extend far behind the foot don't help.
    > They give a longer lever-arm to this force.)
    >
    > Landing on the heal also wastes energy by generating 'braking'
    > force. When the foot is in front of the center-of-balance
    > at landing, part of the force vector is toward the rear,
    > which slows you down. That is wasted energy.
    >
    > Try taking shorter steps, so that you land with the
    > foot under your center of balance. If the heal lands
    > first, your step is too long.
    >
    > When you land, the vertical momentum should be absorbed
    > by the quadriceps (the big muscles on the front of the thigh)
    > not by the little muscles on the front of the shin.
    >
    > As you get used to this, also try to minimize the vertical
    > motion of your head. Up-and-down motion is just wasted
    > energy, and every bit of 'up' that you do turns into a bit
    > of 'down' that must be absorbed at the next step. If you
    > avoid creating the vertical momentum, then you don't have
    > to absorb it when you come down.
    >
    > "Efficient" running styles avoid generating vertical
    > motion, and braking force. That avoids wasting energy,
    > and allows more of your energy to go into forward motion,
    > and in turn allows you to run faster with less effort.
    >

    > Steve

  11. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << I will try to make effort to avoid vertical movement; and also try to
    make my steps shorter, though they sound a little funny to me, because I am
    a bit tall, being 6'4". Well as I said, I gonna try those things. >>

    a bit of advice, for your Vice. 60 minutes into seconds, further the decimal
    point to the left. how many decimals am I? it's a law of infinite regresss,
    eternal jest. onward quest....... ~(?:>

    _______

    http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )

  12. I sprinted one time and it gave my shin splints for a year