Pain in right foot

johnnydelva

Nov 25, 2004
Hi All,

i've been riding for a year and finally can't take it anymore. i have look clipless pedals and shimano shoes (low end). after about 20 minutes i get pain in my right foot and my toes go numb. i've tried lossening the velcro straps but the pain and numbness is still there. can any one give me sugguestions or should i got out and get another pair of shoes? thanks in advance.

johnnydelva said:
Hi All,

i've been riding for a year and finally can't take it anymore. i have look clipless pedals and shimano shoes (low end). after about 20 minutes i get pain in my right foot and my toes go numb. i've tried lossening the velcro straps but the pain and numbness is still there. can any one give me sugguestions or should i got out and get another pair of shoes? thanks in advance.
Have you tried adjusting the fore/aft position of the cleat on the shoe slightly to see if this makes any diffrence in the severity or onset of the pain?

johnnydelva said:
Hi All,

I strongly suggest you find a bike shop where they have someone who is an expert at fitting a person to a bicyle. It may be due to a difference in your leg length and that a shim under one cleat may elleviate the problem you are having. For myself, when riding long distances I can have either foot begin going numb. I then realize I must balance my pedaling because I've become conscious that I've been letting the numb foot to be carried along by the other one rather than by actively lifting up as I pedal with that foot. It may be you habitually push harder with your stronger leg and it is the foot on your weak leg that goes numb from always being pressed against the pedal. Concentrating on spinning evenly with both legs will help alleviate pain that only occurrs on one foot.

johnnydelva said:
Hi All,

I had the same problem when I switched shoes this year. My original shoes had a stiffer sole, and my foot was never sore. My newer shoes, are lighter with a thinner sole (they are better fitting than my orignal ones) and I needed to play around with the cleat position on my Speedplays to eliminate the pain. I adjusted the fore and aft position as well is the lateral position. They are dialed in now, but it took quite a few long rides of trial and error.

Hi

Sometimes the pain in the foot can be caused by incorrect cleat alignment.
I had pain on the outside of the foot that was caused by too much toe in
while clipped in. The slight toe-in was causing pressure on the outside of the foot even with the built-in pedal float. By angling your heel out you can already start to feel the pressure on the out side of your foot, imagine pedalling while feeling this, while riding anything as small as this will get magnified by the cadence and the stiffness of the shoes.

After pivoting the cleat alignment to more toe-out the pain disappeared.
So I would suggest a neutral or ever so slight toe out. Also make sure cleat is below the ball of the foot.

Regards

My Wife had the same problem a while back so I bought her some Dr Scholls Gel insoles for her shoes ($14 I think) and moved her Cleats forward a bit...since then, absolutely no complaints...She wears Sidi shoes btw...

Your Shoes fit ok? Right?

johnnydelva said:
Hi All,