Pain in the side after race

vio765

Jan 20, 2005
hey gang, i had the first race of the season last saturday and spent a majority of my time above LT. i havnt had any training higher than LT. i felt ok after the race, but the next day my left kidney hurt; like a dull isolated pain. i first thought it could be a kidney stone. but when i lean down (imagine sitting on the toilet and bending down such that you are resting your chin on your knees) i feel that STREEEEEETCH of a muscle. so now i think it might be a pulled muscle. anyone ever have anything like this before? BTW, it feel deep tissue, like a kidney stone!
adam

Did it go away yet? If so it was most likely just a strained diaphram muscle or one of the ligaments that are attached to it. It's common and nothing to worry about unless it turns into a sharp stabbing pain - in which case you should see an M.D..

lol, generally, I think anyone that asks about "severe pain" of any sort should probably see a doctor! Even if there were a medical doctor on the site, it's very hard to say what the hell is wrong through text messages. A check up is always the safest bet!

the pain has decreased dramatically. i was really close to calling the doctor, but when i was about to, i felt much better! i believe i strained myself because i raced at a level my body has not experienced in training yet. i should be on the bike pretty soon! cant wait.

vio765 said:
the pain has decreased dramatically. i was really close to calling the doctor, but when i was about to, i felt much better! i believe i strained myself because i raced at a level my body has not experienced in training yet. i should be on the bike pretty soon! cant wait.
Sounds to me like you just pulled a muscle in the lower back in an early season race. It's easy to do this in a race if you haven't been at that level of output before in training. Rest and gentle stretching like you described ought to take care of it, but would advise that you start back easily until you're sure the strain has healed.

Daily lower back stretches might help you to prevent future problems. I do them every morning before getting dressed; only takes a few minutes a day.