Painful Feet Need Help Urgently!



Ssushi

New Member
Mar 21, 2003
310
0
0
I'm a few weeks away from a week long Epic MTB ride and over the last couple of rides the soles of my feet have been killing me (60k spins).

I've a pair of Sidi Dragons (plastic soles) and Eggbeater candy peddles.

The shoes have a slight fex in the sole.

Does anyone have any tips as to how to resolve this?

Cheers

Ssushi
 

benkoostra

New Member
Mar 7, 2006
392
0
0
54
Ice.

Tylenol.

repeat.

Try freezing a plastic soda bottle almost full of water, and roll your feet on it twice a day.

Go to a podiatrist.
 

oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Ssushi said:
I'm a few weeks away from a week long Epic MTB ride and over the last couple of rides the soles of my feet have been killing me (60k spins).
Specialized and Shimano shoes have metatarsal arch support in their insoles. Since I've been using these (the Shimano brand), my foot pain has been reduced considerably.
 

Camilo

Member
Apr 5, 2007
391
6
18
benkoostra said:
Ice.

Tylenol.

repeat.

Try freezing a plastic soda bottle almost full of water, and roll your feet on it twice a day.

Go to a podiatrist.
You'd be better served to use an anti-inflamatory medicine like aspirin, ibuprophen, naproxen, etc. Tylenol is an analgesic (pain killer) but does nothing for the inflamation that is involved in most athletic aches and pains. The other advice is spot on ,imho.
 

Ssushi

New Member
Mar 21, 2003
310
0
0
benkoostra said:
Ice.

Tylenol.

repeat.

Try freezing a plastic soda bottle almost full of water, and roll your feet on it twice a day.

Go to a podiatrist.

The pain is only there when I'm on the bike and pressing on, i.e. under force.
 

gclark8

Member
Apr 13, 2004
3,522
6
0
72
I had this problem with shoes too tight.

Buy the same size you run in, you need room in the toe box and ball area. Also the sole needs to be very rigid and not flex, carbon is best. ;)
 

Ssushi

New Member
Mar 21, 2003
310
0
0
gclark8 said:
I had this problem with shoes too tight.

Buy the same size you run in, you need room in the toe box and ball area. Also the sole needs to be very rigid and not flex, carbon is best. ;)

I figure its the sole flexing, but do not want to dispose of a pair of 1 yr old shoes. I have Sidi carbon soled road shoes which are the same size and fine...
 

oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Ssushi said:
I figure its the sole flexing, but do not want to dispose of a pair of 1 yr old shoes. /QUOTE]
Is the pain accompanied by any numbness in the toes?
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
Possibly a "hot foot" (nerve compression between metatarsal bones). If so, then your shoes are too narrow. Standard Sidis are narrow shoes, and rawboned folk should avoid them.
 

Ssushi

New Member
Mar 21, 2003
310
0
0
I'm not getting any numb toes and this is my third pair of Sidi's - the others were / are fine. It's odd. I do have wide feet however.
 

benkoostra

New Member
Mar 7, 2006
392
0
0
54
Camilo said:
You'd be better served to use an anti-inflamatory medicine like aspirin, ibuprophen, naproxen, etc. Tylenol is an analgesic (pain killer) but does nothing for the inflamation that is involved in most athletic aches and pains. The other advice is spot on ,imho.
Yeah, you're right about that. I probably went with Tylenol because I'm allergic to NSAIDS.
 

oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Ssushi said:
I'm not getting any numb toes and this is my third pair of Sidi's - the others were / are fine. It's odd. I do have wide feet however.
You said your feet are wide and you've been stuffing them into Sidis, which are on the narrow side of medium, for however long it takes to go through three pairs. I don't know what you're looking for.

Damage to the metatarsal nerves occurs over years of abuse. I'd been stuffing my paddle-shaped feet into Detto Pietros, Adidas, Sidis, Lange ski boots, cowboy boots, and Italian climbing shoes for 24 years before I noticed anything seriously wrong. I finally had to do something about it when I realized that foot pain was interfering with my enjoyment of all athletic activities, even swimming.

You've been given a full range of advice from several people who have already been dealing with this kind of problem, and in context it's all helpful. I'm going to make one more recommendation. Go to a doctor and have yourself checked for diabetes. Then get a referral to a podiatrist or orthopedist. Take your shoes.
 

Similar threads

N
Replies
9
Views
2K
G
M
Replies
19
Views
429
R