Painful feet.

Not Telling

Guest
Hi.

I'm posting from work hence the anonymous bits.

I am a lardy person, 18 stone, and as a part of my new fitness regieme I have got myself back into
cycling to work. It's only 4 miles and takes about 15 minutes but I'm finding that the outside inch
of my feet are starting to ache. I guess I need some shoes with firmer soles, but can anyone
reccomend a cheap pair?

FWIW my bike is a "Radford Speedster" with "Compact Racing Geomotry" a hybrid with flat bars on an
aluminum road style frame costing £250. Nice narrow tyres, no suspension and strapless toe cups
fitted. Can't find a reference to it online so it's probably cheap ****, but it gets me to work.

Anyone give me some advice on how to reduce the ache in my feet please?

Mike Barnard.

It would help if we knew what style of pedal and what kind of shoes you were wearing. I've never had
foot soreness like you describe and I'm cycling for 45 years

Not telling wrote:
> I'm posting from work hence the anonymous bits.
>
> I am a lardy person, 18 stone, and as a part of my new fitness regieme I have got myself back into
> cycling to work. It's only 4 miles and takes about 15 minutes but I'm finding that the outside
> inch of my feet are starting to ache. I guess I need some shoes with firmer soles, but can anyone
> reccomend a cheap pair?
>
> FWIW my bike is a "Radford Speedster" with "Compact Racing Geomotry" a hybrid with flat bars on an
> aluminum road style frame costing £250. Nice narrow tyres, no suspension and strapless toe cups
> fitted. Can't find a reference to it online so it's probably cheap ****, but it gets me to work.
>
> Anyone give me some advice on how to reduce the ache in my feet please?

Is it a cramping sensation? I get cramping even with Shimano shoes and SPD pedals.

This might sound stupid, but the way I overcome it is simply to involve the whole foot more when
pedalling even if it means wiggling my toes and/or foot. Cramping suggests lack of blood in that
area, so a bit of motion should get it flowing better again.

--
StainlessSteelRat "Birth and death are not two different states, but they are different aspects of
the same state. There is as little reason to deplore the one as there is to be pleased over the

In message <[email protected]>, Not telling
<[email protected]> writes
>I guess I need some shoes with firmer soles, but can anyone reccomend a cheap pair?

I was normally wearing deck shoes/trainers and had exactly the same problem as you, so (on a whim)
bought some 'proper' cycling shoes from my LBS and have never regretted it. They were also the first
thing I'd bought that actually made me go any faster (the second was the track-pump last month).
I've had a look round stores selling trainers and such-like, but have never found anything as firm
as the one's in bike shops.

I can't give any other advice, except cheapness never hurts.

>I am a lardy person, 18 stone,
ditto, ditto

--
Martin @ Strawberry Hill

I have found that the laces on my shoes become too tight towards the toe end of the shoe and this
causes alot of discomfort, so now I always ensure they are slackened of down they before i tie a
knot in the top and use the velcro to tighten rather than the laces

news:[email protected]...

On Sun, 11 May 2003 17:19:23 +0100, "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it a cramping sensation? I get cramping even with Shimano shoes and SPD pedals.

I think it's the foot platform of the shoes. Next time out I'm determined to find somewhere that
stocks Sidi, so I can try those on my feet. I have a pair of M057 boots which are great but my
Shimano road shoes are a bit narrow in the foot (couldn't really tell when I tried them on; only
after getting cleated and pedalling).

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> Is it a cramping sensation? I get cramping even with Shimano shoes and SPD pedals.
>
> I think it's the foot platform of the shoes. Next time out I'm determined to find somewhere that
> stocks Sidi, so I can try those on my feet. I have a pair of M057 boots which are great but my
> Shimano road shoes are a bit narrow in the foot (couldn't really tell when I tried them on; only
> after getting cleated and pedalling).

Yes, I get it on the edges of my feet (the right-hand edge of my right foot mostly). Of course with
SPD the majority of the power transfer is in the centre of the foot.

Strangely enough I haven't had the cramp for a few weeks now so I put this down either to training,
a better riding position somehow, or that I wiggle my feet sub-consciously :)

--
StainlessSteelRat Mathilda: Do you "clean" anyone? Léon: No women, no kids, that's the rules.

On Sun, 11 May 2003 17:42:33 +0000 (UTC), "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes, I get it on the edges of my feet (the right-hand edge of my right foot mostly).

Same here, for sure. I think the dip in the foot platform where the cleats attach is partly to
blame, and I've resolved to try filling it with silicone as has been suggested. At which point I'm
sure a reference to Jordan will creep in, but I'll strive to remain above such childish badinage...
Oh bugger, I mentioned Jordan didn't I?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:
> On Sun, 11 May 2003 17:42:33 +0000 (UTC), "StainlessSteelRat"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I get it on the edges of my feet (the right-hand edge of my right foot mostly).
>
> Same here, for sure. I think the dip in the foot platform where the cleats attach is partly to
> blame, and I've resolved to try filling it with silicone as has been suggested. At which point I'm
> sure a reference to Jordan will creep in, but I'll strive to remain above such childish
> badinage... Oh bugger, I mentioned Jordan didn't I?

Why's that? Is Jordan a major silicone producing country? I'd always thought it was one of those
locally produced things, what with silica and water both being available in abudance in most places
there are people.

It always amuses *me* to read those puerile tabloid headlines as if they refer to the actual
significant Jordan, anyway.

ObCycling: Sorry, can't think of one.

Ambrose

Usenet <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> [shoes] were also the first thing I'd bought that actually made me go any faster (the second was
> the track-pump last month).

Interested: where do I mount the track pump to make my bike go faster?