Painful Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Juniper, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. I'm a fairly strong recreational rider for my age group (over 65). I've started riding longer weekly
    rides (about 105 miles and 7500-9500 feet), along with a couple of 30-47 mile rides. Although my
    butt sometimes used to get bone sore, the problem has never stayed with me after the ride.

    I have switched to a "Body Geometry" seat, which feels a bit better, but now I suddenly found light
    callouses on my butt where it rides the saddle. At the end of last time out (last Wed) it felt raw,
    and is still uncomfortable (Sunday). What should I do about it in the short run (salve, cover,
    or?), and how about the long run - might the problem primarily be longer rides, or might a
    different seat help? The seat of have is light and fairly narrow, but might one of those very
    long-nosed and even narrower seat help, or???

    I probably ride about 3000 miles a year or a bit more now.

    Steve Juniper Berkeley, California "Every day above ground is a good day!"

    Tags:

  2. PS:

    Not realizing how many "Body Geometry" models there were, I should have included the following info
    in my pvs post (copy below): Mine is a "Body Geometry" Men's Pro. Seen at
    http://www.jacksbikes.com/Saddels.htm it is item 2722-0022.

    --

    Steve Juniper

[...]

  3. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    > I have switched to a "Body Geometry" seat, which feels a bit better, but
    > now I suddenly found light callouses on my butt where it rides the saddle.

    what brand of shorts?

    i had a similar problem a while back and eventually tracked it down to the pad in my shorts. it was
    one of those fancy bonded types where various synthetic layers are stuck together at the edge. it
    turned out that the edge where it was bonded was abrasive like one of those scratchy melted-edge
    shirt labels and in combination with an exact position for the edge of my saddle, the two were
    cutting into my butt.

    as soon as i changed to different shorts with a different pad, no more cutting or callouses!

    jb

  4. sjuniper-<< I have switched to a "Body Geometry" seat, which feels a bit better, but now I suddenly
    found light callouses on my butt where it rides the saddle.
    >><BR><BR>

    Rubbing alcohol after showering, followed by Dr Naylors, just a little(or Bag Balm, Drs has less
    lanolin tho-less greasy)...Also a wee bit of the Drs before riding.

  5. Voltaire

    Voltaire Guest

    "Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s51...
    > I'm a fairly strong recreational rider for my age group (over 65). I've started riding longer
    > weekly rides (about 105 miles and 7500-9500 feet), along with a couple of 30-47 mile rides.
    > Although my butt sometimes used
    > get bone sore, the problem has never stayed with me after the ride.
    >
    > I have switched to a "Body Geometry" seat, which feels a bit better, but now I suddenly found
    > light callouses on my butt where it rides the saddle. At the end of last time out (last Wed) it
    > felt raw, and is still uncomfortable (Sunday). What should I do about it in the short run (salve,
    > cover, or?), and how about the long run - might the problem primarily be longer rides, or might a
    > different seat help? The seat of have is light
    and
    > fairly narrow, but might one of those very long-nosed and even narrower
    seat
    > help, or???
    >
    > I probably ride about 3000 miles a year or a bit more now.
    >
    > Steve Juniper Berkeley, California "Every day above ground is a good day!"

    I have a similar problem when I ride 100 miles or so. Before I put my shorts on, I clean my sitbone
    area with a babywipe to remove any bacteria and keep them from being ground into my skin during the
    ride. I liberally coat the pad in the shorts with Noxema Plus (the plus is a cream in it). Wal-Mart
    has its Equate brand of this right next to the Noxzema at about 1/2 the price. After the ride I
    shower immediately or at least remove the shorts and again clean the area with baby wipes. After
    showering, I coat the somewhat sensitive spots with hydrocortisone cream. This helps to reduce the
    redness and the slight swelling. I rode 9,000 miles last year and this regimen kept me on the saddle
    with a smile on my face.

    Good for you, riding that much at your age. I'm not quite there yet but I'm usually the oldest rider
    on our club rides. It's fun riding with the younger crowd but a sore butt can be quite irritating.

    Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the freedom of the wind on your face.

    Vol(timetogoriding)taire

  6. > I have switched to a "Body Geometry" seat, which feels a bit better, but now I suddenly found
    > light callouses on my butt where it rides the saddle. At the end of last time out (last Wed) it
    > felt raw, and is still uncomfortable (Sunday). What should I do about it in the short run (salve,
    > cover, or?), and how about the long run - might the problem primarily be longer rides, or might a
    > different seat help? The seat of have is light
    and
    > fairly narrow, but might one of those very long-nosed and even narrower
    seat
    > help, or???

    Steve: There are many people for whom the shape of the "Body Geometry" saddle just doesn't get along
    with their tail ends. In most cases, this shows up during the ride, not after, and seems to be
    related to the fact that it's not a saddle people feel comfortable moving around on; rather, they
    find one comfortable spot and stay there. That doesn't always make for comfort in the long run.
    Saddles are most definitely one of those "your mileage may vary" type of things.

    People have suggested various other possible remedies, and they're certainly worth trying, but if
    you used to not have this problem, and then it started after changing saddles...

    One other thing, which you've probably already tried- some people are extraordinarily sensitive to
    both the tilt of the saddle and height. When you switched seats, did you make sure you were at the
    exact same height as before? And if the two seats sag differently under load, did you take that into
    account when figuring the height?

    "Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s51...
    > I'm a fairly strong recreational rider for my age group (over 65). I've started riding longer
    > weekly rides (about 105 miles and 7500-9500 feet), along with a couple of 30-47 mile rides.
    > Although my butt sometimes used
    > get bone sore, the problem has never stayed with me after the ride.
    >
    > I have switched to a "Body Geometry" seat, which feels a bit better, but now I suddenly found
    > light callouses on my butt where it rides the saddle. At the end of last time out (last Wed) it
    > felt raw, and is still uncomfortable (Sunday). What should I do about it in the short run (salve,
    > cover, or?), and how about the long run - might the problem primarily be longer rides, or might a
    > different seat help? The seat of have is light
    and
    > fairly narrow, but might one of those very long-nosed and even narrower
    seat
    > help, or???
    >
    > I probably ride about 3000 miles a year or a bit more now.
    >
    > Steve Juniper Berkeley, California "Every day above ground is a good day!"

  7. Hugh Fenton

    Hugh Fenton Guest

    > sjuniper-<< I have switched to a "Body Geometry" seat, which feels a bit better, but now I
    > suddenly found light callouses on my butt where it rides the saddle.
    > >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Rubbing alcohol after showering, followed by Dr Naylors, just a little(or
    Bag
    > Balm, Drs has less lanolin tho-less greasy)...Also a wee bit of the Drs
    before
    > riding.

    I don't know Drs, but I've always found the section of the supermarket selling baby products has
    exactly the right lanolin based product at a great price.

    Hugh Fenton