Paint stain in NOS frame

Greg

Guest
I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
tried water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After reading the list
of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
that is the culprit.

Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

On May 5, 3:21 am, Greg <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
> up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
> down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
> pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
> about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
> white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
> flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
> tried water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
> strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
> This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
> heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After reading the list
> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
> that is the culprit.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg

You might try rubbing the area with toothpaste.

It is very mildly abrasive and will 'polish' nicely.

Lewis.

*****

On May 5, 3:21 am, Greg <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
> up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
> down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
> pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
> about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
> white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
> flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
> tried water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
> strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
> This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
> heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After reading the list
> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
> that is the culprit.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?

I'd try using a dedicated polishing compound (not rubbing compound)
on a small area. If that doesn't do it, visit a body shop supply house
and ask about anything that might remove stains in a finish. Far worse
things than food coloring find their way onto automobile finishes.

On May 5, 4:21 am, Greg <[email protected]> wrote:
> After reading the list
> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
> that is the culprit.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?

Sounds like pretty nasty stuff I wouldn't want on my bike much less in
my food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allura_Red_AC

Maybe because it's acidic, it's etched into the finish??? And maybe
the polishing suggested by others is the only way to be rid of it.

[email protected] wrote:
> On May 5, 3:21 am, Greg <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
>> up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
>> down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
>> pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
>> about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
>> white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
>> flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
>> tried water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
>> strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
>> This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
>> heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After reading the list
>> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
>> that is the culprit.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Greg

> You might try rubbing the area with toothpaste.
>
> It is very mildly abrasive and will 'polish' nicely.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *****

that's a good suggestion, but don't rub too hard. it /is/ abrasive, but
the benefit is that it contains bleaches and that could well do the job.

to the op, if this frame stains so easily, either the top coat is
substantially oxidized or the paint is defective in some way. "real
world" usage is going to be nothing but stain risk. i think your
options are:

1. readjust expectation and live with it.
2. mess about with cleaners and waxes in the hope this works.
3. have the frame professionally repainted with high quality modern
paints - they're stable, glossy, stain-proof, and tough.

#3 is the best long term solution.

If it's red dye you could try wiping on a 50/50 mix of water and
ammonia. cover with a towel and apply a bit of heat with a hair dryer
for a couple minutes. Works on clothes. Might work on metal?

Greg wrote:

> On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
> down the downtube and BB area.

> It has somehow stained the paint and her nice white/pink paint
> scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch flavored) splotches
> in the paint that I can not seem to get out.

I'd worry more about the tenacious stains on wifey's giblets.

Water, lemon luice, small pinch of salt, sugar to taste. All the
electrolytes and accessible carbohydrates you need, none of the
synthetic carcinogens. Comparatively paint-friendly.

Chalo.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
> up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
> down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
> pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
> about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
> white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
> flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
> tried water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
> strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
> This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
> heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After reading the list
> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
> that is the culprit.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg

What about Clorox? Use whatever dilution you feel comfortable with at
first and make it stronger from there. I haven't seen it harm paint,
but it may be possible. Wear old clothes and clean up thoroughly. You
could also try denatured alcohol. It's a great solvent for some things.

> Water, lemon luice, small pinch of salt, sugar to taste. All the
> electrolytes and accessible carbohydrates you need, none of the
> synthetic carcinogens. Comparatively paint-friendly.
>
> Chalo.

Yeah, don't tell the Gatoraide and all those folks, but your suggestion that
is much like my 50/50 OJ/H20
washes off with water and is a bit less expensive than hyped sports drinks.
Banana consumed with water is also an alternative.

(I did use hammergell for ultra distance stuff though.)

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Greg wrote:
> I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
> up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
> down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
> pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
> about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
> white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
> flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
> trie d water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
> strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
> This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
> heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After re ading the list
> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
> that is the culprit.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg

You need some kind of bleach. Chlorine bleach like Clorox is very
harsh, not good for metal if it touches it. Toothpaste is mild, may
work: if you use it, first try without rubbing, since it is also
abrasive. But how about hydrogen peroxide? That is a very effective
bleach. However, with any of these items, test first on some obsure
area... like... the BB?

You might also try washing with a solution of ordinary powdered
laundry detergent (e.g. Tide with color-safe bleach) in hot water,
since that's what you would use to get it out of your clothes.
However, this too can be harsh, so use with caution.

All told, I would look to the hydrogen peroxide as the best bet, with
the least chance of damaging the paint. May have to soak for a while.
But maybe this is a lesson about something more valuable: think of
what that stuff is doing to your insides. Nice stain...

41 wrote:

> laundry detergent (e.g. Tide with color-safe bleach) in hot water,

Sorry, read warm water.

> since that's what you would use to get it out of your clothes.
> However, this too can be harsh, so use with caution.
>

> All told, I would look to the hydrogen peroxide as the best bet, with
> the least chance of damaging the paint. May have to soak for a while.
> But maybe this is a lesson about something more valuable: think of
> what that stuff is doing to your insides. Nice stain...

The fact is, professional framebuilders / painters make mistakes like
this all the time and they usually know how to fix them. If you live
near someplace that does custom paint finishes, give them a call or
give them a visit. They might end using solvent to remove the outer
clearcoat and then respraying just that area, in the worst case ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On May 5, 4:21 am, Greg <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
> up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
> down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
> pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
> about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
> white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
> flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
> tried water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
> strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
> This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
> heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After reading the list
> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
> that is the culprit.
>
> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg

Thanks to everyone who responded. There are many good suggestions
here. I'll post and let everyone know what worked.

In the end, Jim Beam's suggestion is one that we have already
considered and will likely undertake next spring. It appears to me
that there is little if any clear coat on this frame. A period-
specific decal set, the original paint scheme, a good painter and LOTS
of clearcoat will do the trick.

Thanks again.
Greg

Greg wrote:
> On May 5, 4:21 am, Greg <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I just recently bought a NOS Colnago frame for my wife and built it
>> up. On the maiden voyage, some Accelerade leaked from the bottle and
>> down the downtube and BB area. When she got back home, I proceeded to
>> pull the bottles and hang the bike from the garage ceiling and I went
>> about wiping it off. It has somehow stained the paint and her nice
>> white/pink paint scheme now has some darker pink (Friut Punch
>> flavored) splotches in the paint that I can not seem to get out. I
>> tried water, then windex, then diluted simple green, then full
>> strength simple green and finally a polishing wax...all to no avail.
>> This was her "dream bike" that she has wanted for years and she is
>> heartbroken at the sight of what's happened. After reading the list
>> of ingredients, it seems that it is simply food coloring - Red #40
>> that is the culprit.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how I might get the stains out?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Greg

> Thanks to everyone who responded. There are many good suggestions
> here. I'll post and let everyone know what worked.
>
> In the end, Jim Beam's suggestion is one that we have already
> considered and will likely undertake next spring. It appears to me
> that there is little if any clear coat on this frame. A period-
> specific decal set, the original paint scheme, a good painter and LOTS
> of clearcoat will do the trick.
>
> Thanks again.
> Greg

a word of caution - a /good/ paint job is not cheap! could be $500+
done right.