Paint Stripping Chemicals - Hazardous Waste?

Jeff

Guest
I have two nice vintage steel framesets (Bianchi Veloce and a Miyata 610) that are in need of new
paint. I've read the articles about stripping and re-painting bike frames, but they don't address
the issue of how to properly dispose of the used stripping compounds (which, after use, are now
combined with paint). Would this stuff have to be taken to the local toxic waste disposal center?
Are there "green" concoctions available that you can just flush down the drain?

> Are there "green" concoctions available that you can just flush down the drain?

Have it sandblasted. Phil Brown

On 04 Jan 2004 22:22:21 GMT, [email protected] (Phil Brown) may
have said:

>> Are there "green" concoctions available that you can just flush down the drain?

There are some soy-based strippers which will remove certain finishes, but as far as I know, none
have yet achieved the wide range of usefulness that the older compounds provide.

>Have it sandblasted.

But not using plain silica sand. There are specialty abrasives for this task now; using silica sand
is, itself, hazardous. (Any place that does the job will have this under control, in all likelihood.
Be prepared to repack the BB several times if you have the frame abrasive-blasted and you're not
using a sealed BB, though.)

it's also possible that I'm busy.

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:Om%[email protected]:

> I have two nice vintage steel framesets (Bianchi Veloce and a Miyata
> 610) that are in need of new paint. I've read the articles about stripping and re-painting bike
> frames, but they don't address the issue of how to properly dispose of the used stripping
> compounds (which, after use, are now combined with paint). Would this stuff have to be taken
> to the local toxic waste disposal center? Are there "green" concoctions available that you
> can just flush down the drain?

Collect the waste stripper/paint, allow it to dry and dispose with the normal trash. Any toxins will
evaporate off. Blasting the paint is a better way if you have access to the equipment. Another
alternative is handing the frame off to a chemical stripper or metal refinisher. This way any
internal rust is also removed and he should be able to preserve any chrome.

ALF

> I have two nice vintage steel framesets (Bianchi Veloce and a Miyata 610) that are in need of new
> paint. I've read the articles about stripping and re-painting bike frames, but they don't address
> the issue of how to
properly
> dispose of the used stripping compounds (which, after use, are now
combined
> with paint). Would this stuff have to be taken to the local toxic waste disposal center? Are there
> "green" concoctions available that you can
just
> flush down the drain?

Probably can be thrown out with the trash. In MA at least, stripped lead paint from houses can now
be tossed out with the regular trash, as the former strict disposal regulations were discouraging
de-leading.

Jeff wrote:

> I have two nice vintage steel framesets (Bianchi Veloce and a Miyata 610) that are in need of new
> paint. I've read the articles about stripping and re-painting bike frames, but they don't address
> the issue of how to properly dispose of the used stripping compounds (which, after use, are now
> combined with paint). Would this stuff have to be taken to the local toxic waste disposal center?
> Are there "green" concoctions available that you can just flush down the drain?

IME it all evaporates.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:31:09 GMT, "Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote: We make a soy based paint
stripper which is every bit as effective as methylene chloride or other dangerous solvents.

The dwell time is a little longer than some of the more dangerous chemicals, but within 45 minutes
or so you can rinse away the paint.

I demoed it at an automotive trade show and stripped a car part to bare metal.

One caveat: Our product does not strip some types of automotive clearcoats.

We don't sell to the public, but you can purchase it through

www.allbicycles.com

The product is called SoyGreen Polystripper. Rich, the owner, will have to special order, but we are
right down the road.

I would send you a "sample" but our CEO has clamped down on large samples. I could get a 2oz out to
you but that wouldn't do the whole bike.

The residue could be considered hazardous, but our product is 100% biodegradable.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

cya! Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers
of Sink the Stink