Paint touch-up?

Shane Stanley

Guest
Any hints on paint touch-up? I broke a spoke yesterday, and as I was
going down a hill at the time, it took a while to stop (computer says I
was doing 78kmh when it went). It's made a fair old mess of the paint
work on both the chain and seat stays, and near the bottom bracket. My
calf didn't appreciate it much, either.

It's an aluminium frame (Gian OCR), and it's down to the metal in
several places. The paintwork back there is all forgiving black, and I'm
not particularly fussy, but I'd like to do something about it.

--
Shane Stanley

Shane Stanley said:
Any hints on paint touch-up? I broke a spoke yesterday, and as I was
going down a hill at the time, it took a while to stop (computer says I
was doing 78kmh when it went). It's made a fair old mess of the paint
work on both the chain and seat stays, and near the bottom bracket. My
calf didn't appreciate it much, either.

It's an aluminium frame (Gian OCR), and it's down to the metal in
several places. The paintwork back there is all forgiving black, and I'm
not particularly fussy, but I'd like to do something about it.

Black nail polish usually does the trick. I've filed down some cable guides on my bike before and used black nail polish to paint over the bare aluminium. Use the cheap kind ... and wait a couple of hours before you touch the area again.

Cheers
Koon

In article <[email protected]>,
Koon Yong <[email protected]> wrote:

> Black nail polish usually does the trick. I've filed down some cable
> guides on my bike before and used black nail polish to paint over the
> bare aluminium. Use the cheap kind ... and wait a couple of hours
> before you touch the area again.

Thanks for the tip. This is a reasonably large area, but it might still
be a good prep for the bare parts before a spray pack.

--
Shane Stanley

"Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Koon Yong <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Black nail polish usually does the trick. I've filed down some cable
>> guides on my bike before and used black nail polish to paint over the
>> bare aluminium. Use the cheap kind ... and wait a couple of hours
>> before you touch the area again.

> Thanks for the tip. This is a reasonably large area, but it might still
> be a good prep for the bare parts before a spray pack.

I wouldn't do that - might well be incompatible with the top coats you're
planning to apply. Would only suggest this as a touch up for small stone
chips or the like where you're not planning to paint over.

Cheers
David M

Shane Stanley said:
Any hints on paint touch-up? I broke a spoke yesterday, and as I was
going down a hill at the time, it took a while to stop (computer says I
was doing 78kmh when it went). It's made a fair old mess of the paint
work on both the chain and seat stays, and near the bottom bracket. My
calf didn't appreciate it much, either.

It's an aluminium frame (Gian OCR), and it's down to the metal in
several places. The paintwork back there is all forgiving black, and I'm
not particularly fussy, but I'd like to do something about it.

--
Shane Stanley

The enamel paints you get from hobby shops works well (and there are many colors available other than black!). Look for it in the section where all the stuff for building plastic models of planes/cars is...