Painting a carbon disc wheel?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Basso, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Basso

    Basso Guest

    So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in some
    of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in a frame shop)

    Can this look good or will I ruin it? I understand that once carbon is painted, it's painted, but
    right now the wheel looks like crap... Thanks! T

    Troy A. Coleman Sustainable Resource Sciences College of Forest Resources University of Washington
    email - [email protected] web - http://students.washington.edu/oldsven cell - (206) 351 5468

    Tags:

  2. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    Pretty sure most HED discs are fiberglass. Bondo? Don't sand through the fibers!

    "Basso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in
    > some of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in a frame shop)
    >
    > Can this look good or will I ruin it? I understand that once carbon is painted, it's painted, but
    > right now the wheel looks like crap... Thanks! T

    > Troy A. Coleman Sustainable Resource Sciences College of Forest Resources University of
    > Washington email - [email protected] web - http://students.washington.edu/oldsven cell -
    > (206) 351 5468

  3. Call HED for advice on compatable material & paint? 651-653-0202

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Basso wrote:

    > So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in
    > some of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in a frame shop)
    >
    > Can this look good or will I ruin it? I understand that once carbon is painted, it's painted, but
    > right now the wheel looks like crap... Thanks! T

    > Troy A. Coleman Sustainable Resource Sciences College of Forest Resources University of
    > Washington email - [email protected] web - http://students.washington.edu/oldsven cell -
    > (206) 351 5468

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (dianne_1234) wrote:

    >Pretty sure most HED discs are fiberglass. Bondo? Don't sand through the fibers!

    Mine is carbon fiber - I think most are.

    >"Basso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in
    >> some of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in a frame shop)

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Basso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in
    > some of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in
    > frame shop)
    >
    > Can this look good or will I ruin it? I understand that once carbon is painted, it's painted, but
    > right now the wheel looks like crap...

    I painted six pairs of Aerospokes once. Wetsanded, used DuPont 30S primer-surfacer, wetsanded again
    and a color coat of DuPont Lucite. Looked great and was a durable finish. Of course paint weight is
    not negligible ( on airliners it is measured in tons. . . )

  6. Andrew, I think they need a little more paint on an airliner than you would need to coat a
    bicycle wheel.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Andrew, I think they need a little more paint on an airliner than you would need to coat a
    > bicycle wheel.

    That's true. But if you're painting an extralight disk you'll add several ounces of substrate after
    flash. It is, as I wrote, not a negligible amount. That may affect his decision to paint a product
    that cost quite a bit largely because it is a few ounces lighter.