Painting a carbon disc wheel?

Basso

Guest
So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in some
of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in a frame shop)

Can this look good or will I ruin it? I understand that once carbon is painted, it's painted, but
right now the wheel looks like ****... Thanks! T

Troy A. Coleman Sustainable Resource Sciences College of Forest Resources University of Washington
email - [email protected] web - http://students.washington.edu/oldsven cell - (206) 351 5468

Pretty sure most HED discs are fiberglass. Bondo? Don't sand through the fibers!

"Basso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<fHUDa.85507$M01.46600@sccrnsc02>...
> So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in
> some of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in a frame shop)
>
> Can this look good or will I ruin it? I understand that once carbon is painted, it's painted, but
> right now the wheel looks like ****... Thanks! T

> Troy A. Coleman Sustainable Resource Sciences College of Forest Resources University of
> Washington email - [email protected] web - http://students.washington.edu/oldsven cell -
> (206) 351 5468

Call HED for advice on compatable material & paint? 651-653-0202

[email protected] (dianne_1234) wrote:

>Pretty sure most HED discs are fiberglass. Bondo? Don't sand through the fibers!

Mine is carbon fiber - I think most are.

>"Basso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<fHUDa.85507$M01.46600@sccrnsc02>...
>> So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in
>> some of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in a frame shop)

"Basso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:fHUDa.85507$M01.46600@sccrnsc02...
> So, does anyone have experience with painting carbon discs? I have a HED that I want to fill in
> some of the dimples and have it painted ( I work in
> frame shop)
>
> Can this look good or will I ruin it? I understand that once carbon is painted, it's painted, but
> right now the wheel looks like ****...

I painted six pairs of Aerospokes once. Wetsanded, used DuPont 30S primer-surfacer, wetsanded again
and a color coat of DuPont Lucite. Looked great and was a durable finish. Of course paint weight is
not negligible ( on airliners it is measured in tons. . . )

Andrew, I think they need a little more paint on an airliner than you would need to coat a
bicycle wheel.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andrew, I think they need a little more paint on an airliner than you would need to coat a
> bicycle wheel.

That's true. But if you're painting an extralight disk you'll add several ounces of substrate after
flash. It is, as I wrote, not a negligible amount. That may affect his decision to paint a product
that cost quite a bit largely because it is a few ounces lighter.