Painting a carbon fiber bike

bluez28zr2

Mar 26, 2004
Has anyone here tried this? I would like to paint my Trek 5200 this winter and would like to find some reading material on the do's and don'ts. I've tried a couple of searches, but to no prevail. I've done some painting on cars and such.
Thanks!

bluez28zr2 said:
Has anyone here tried this? I would like to paint my Trek 5200 this winter and would like to find some reading material on the do's and don'ts. I've tried a couple of searches, but to no prevail. I've done some painting on cars and such.
Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that Trek repaints carbon frames. Why not give them a call and see if they will share the specifics with you?

painting carbon is just like painting plastic, just FYI. I cringe when i say it, but you gotta sand it, prime it, and paint it...you just want to scuff it up a bit, don't go to town...i'd hate for that beautiful carbon to get damaged :eek:

Hi there
Have you had any luck on info re your carbon painting, i have the same bike and would also like to give it a bit of a facelift due to some scratches etc if it's at all possible, i was just worried about the thinners in the paint and what effect that might have on th ecarbon.

Let me know if you had any success :confused: