Painting a Carbon frame...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crystal, May 29, 2003.

  1. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    Hi all... I have a 10 year old Look KG 96 Team Replica Carbon bike which I would like to Paint. The
    bike is in its original non-painted state, the finish is "Carbon" with a thin plastic clear coat
    with several LOOK decals.

    Is painting such a frame possible or not recommended? Has anyone had a Carbon bike painted? Thanks
    in advance for your reply.

    Sincerely, Antonio Paventi

    Tags:

  2. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all... I have a 10 year old Look KG 96 Team Replica Carbon bike which I would like to Paint.
    > The bike is in its original non-painted state, the finish is "Carbon" with a thin plastic clear
    > coat with several LOOK decals.
    >
    > Is painting such a frame possible or not recommended? Has anyone had a Carbon bike painted? Thanks
    > in advance for your reply.

    Its not clear whether you want to paint the frame yourself or have someone else do it. If you want
    somebody who paints carbon fiber bikes
    (e.g., calfees, kestrels), check out Joe's Bicycle Painting here:

    http://www.joesbicyclepainting.com/

    If you want to do it yourself, take a look at Damon Rinard's webpage, now hosted by Sheldon Brown,
    here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/carbonqa.htm

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all... I have a 10 year old Look KG 96 Team Replica Carbon bike which I would like to Paint.
    > The bike is in its original non-painted state, the finish is "Carbon" with a thin plastic clear
    > coat with several LOOK
    decals.

    > Is painting such a frame possible or not recommended? Has anyone had a Carbon bike painted?

    In the auto world , things like that are generally wetsanded, shot with a primer-sealer and painted,
    not stripped first.