Painting a carbon trek frame

dub-alicious

Oct 12, 2004
Ok here goes, I have a trek 5200 2001 team replica frame but i hate....and i mean hate the white replica paint job and the 1000 treck stickers.....I was wondering if it was possible to paint it one color and have the painter put treck stickers under the clearcoat, i would get it done by professional automotive or hot rod painters......

what you guy's think?

dub-alicious said:
Ok here goes, I have a trek 5200 2001 team replica frame but i hate....and i mean hate the white replica paint job and the 1000 treck stickers.....I was wondering if it was possible to paint it one color and have the painter put treck stickers under the clearcoat, i would get it done by professional automotive or hot rod painters......

what you guy's think?

Take a look at airglow.com, they will do anything you want and appear to do a fantabulous Job....

dub-alicious said:

what you guy's think?

anything's possible. it will cost you bucks to have it painted profesionally.

i also hated the decals on my epx carbon frame that i bought for low $ off ebay. (ugly decals=low price). i couldn't spend the $ for a pro job (although most custom painters do a fantastic job).

i just carefully wet sanded the decals off and spray painted and clear coated it outside with spray cans of automotive acryllic paint and clear coat bought at an auto supply store. i read up on painting with auto paints on the web and just went for it. please observe all safety precautions if you do this - acryllic and enamel paints are nasty stuff. if i screwed up i figured i would sand it off and start again. anyway, it came out great. the difference with a professional job is that it will be baked in a controlled oven rather than air dry. this renders the clear coat a lot harder.

good luck whatever you do

bob

Thanks for the info, i was considering doing it myself with a compressor but i dont have the balls to work on my frame.....i rather have a professional do it!

by the way the airglow.com doesnt work!