Painting a lugged frame... I've got a question

TeleVizedPayne

Sep 11, 2005
I'm getting ready to have a Bridgestone frame repainted. I am going to have it powder coated. To complete the finish, they will need to bake the frame at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Will this damage the lugs?

TeleVizedPayne said:
I'm getting ready to have a Bridgestone frame repainted. I am going to have it powder coated. To complete the finish, they will need to bake the frame at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Will this damage the lugs?
The material used to braze steel softens at about 1200F. Plenty of lugged frames have been powder coated without damage.

TeleVizedPayne said:
Agree on the Temp. You will never have to get the bike painted again. That stuff never chips. I powdercoated 1/2 of my Ti bike because I think that Ti bikes without paint have no character and it did improved the looks. No chips after 5Kmiles. Just put plastic pieces (cutout clear chainstay savers) where the cables will rub on the steerer tube.