Painting a uni

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by James_potter, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. James_potter

    James_potter Guest

    Hi,

    All my friends have Summit unicycles, and I have a KH20. so
    ALLL of our unicycles are orange. I want to paint my frame
    so it's not the same as everyone elses. How do you do this?
    I've heard about 'powdercoating' a frame, but I don't know
    what this is.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    James_Potter - OFFICIAL POSTER #1078

    ::-Save Ferris Bueller-::

  2. Eenwieler

    Eenwieler Guest

  3. James_potter

    James_potter Guest

  4. Toddw9

    Toddw9 Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > *I've heard about 'powdercoating' a frame, but I don't
    > know what this
    > is.*

    here's the basics of powdercoating a frame:

    The frame is stripped of its paint by an oven hot enough to
    burn the paint off. Sometimes it's sandblasted, but usually
    they burn the paint off. The frame is cleaned and prepped
    in a number of solutions, and finally allowed to dry. The
    frame is sprayed by a fine electrostatically charged powder
    (the electrostatic charge is what makes the powder stick).
    It is then put into an oven at about 400 F for 20-25 mins.
    When it comes out it has a very durable and sharp looking
    new paint job.

    The place I work at does powdercoating on lots of their
    products so I get to see this done every day.

    I'd expect powdercoating a uni frame to cost between $20-$30
    but don't quote me on that.

    --
    toddw9 - No, I'm not a clown.
    toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

  5. Sockmonster

    Sockmonster Guest

    I don't suppose you could prime and paint it with
    exterior paint...?

    I'm considering that myself with my Unistar chrome

    --
    sockmonster - Level 4

    Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
    tacoed my giraffe..."
    sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286