Painting and facing

Peter

Guest
I have a frame which I am going to get sandblasted and powdercoated. Since I am not using a sealed
BB cart, I also planned to have the BB shell tapped and faced. Should this be done before or after
the paint job?

After, unless you have a repair issue where you're unsure if the tapping and facing will work and
render the frame useless.

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

[email protected] (Peter) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a frame which I am going to get sandblasted and powdercoated. Since I am not using a sealed
> BB cart, I also planned to have the BB shell tapped and faced. Should this be done before or after
> the paint job?

After. It's customary to remove the paint on the sides of the bottom bracket shell so the cups will
sit parallel. Also, you might want to try to come up with some protective device to keep sand and
paint out of the threads. No benifit from mucking things up.

Good luck.

Ed

junk-<< I have a frame which I am going to get sandblasted and powdercoated. Since I am not using a

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:20:44 -0500, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> junk-<< I have a frame which I am going to get sandblasted and powdercoated. Since I am not using
> a sealed BB cart, I also planned to have the BB shell tapped and faced. Should this be done before
> or after the paint job?
>
> After-

And definitely have it chased and faced. I made the mistake of not doing that when I got my frame
powder-coated. I got the (cartridge) bb in there, but it was an unlovely mess and the threads are
the worse for it. Next time I need a bottom bracket, I'm going to have to have the frame prepped --
and hope to salvage enough threads to hold.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

On 24 Jan 2003 08:51:22 -0800 [email protected] (Peter) wrote:

>I have a frame which I am going to get sandblasted and powdercoated. Since I am not using a sealed
>BB cart, I also planned to have the BB shell tapped and faced. Should this be done before or after
>the paint job?

If you really have the choice, I would do all the machining before you get it painted. This allows
the work to be done without damaging the paint at all.

Doing the machining first also gives you the chance to find and fix other problems before the
paint goes on.

The thickness of the finished paint should be uniform, and will not make any difference on assembly,
but if you want to chase the paint out of the threads, you can. This will be easy compared to
removing metal, so the chances of hurting the paint are minimal.

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA