Painting Giro Pneumo Helmet

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ian.D, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Ian.D

    Ian.D Guest

    I was wondering if anyone has tried to paint their helmet ? I've got a
    giro pneumo and would like to paint it (it's the carbon color model). I
    just want to add some more color too. Any ideas what type of paint will
    work that won't destroy the integrity of the helmet ?
    Thanks,

    Ian in SD

    Tags:

  2. Scott Ehardt

    Scott Ehardt Guest

    "Ian.D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I was wondering if anyone has tried to paint their helmet ? I've got a
    > giro pneumo and would like to paint it (it's the carbon color model). I
    > just want to add some more color too. Any ideas what type of paint will
    > work that won't destroy the integrity of the helmet ?

    Spray Paint + Styrofoam (helmet) = colorful goo

    I think latex paint is safe but I'm not sure...

    --
    Scott Ehardt
    http://www.scehardt.com

  3. Ian.D wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone has tried to paint their helmet ? I've got

    > giro pneumo and would like to paint it (it's the carbon color model).

    > just want to add some more color too. Any ideas what type of paint

    will
    > work that won't destroy the integrity of the helmet ?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ian in SD

    I expect when they paint them at the factory, or turn them over to Troy
    Lee, they're just painting the carbon shell bits, before afixing them
    to the foam. I'd steer clear of anything with a hydrocarbon
    solvent/propelant. Some airbrush paints may work, but I'd experiment
    on an old helmet FIRST.

  4. The opening argument by the defense attorney would be, "did you know he
    painted the helmet he wore the day of the crash." And you'll be sitting
    there, all retarded and all, knodding up and down.

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 6 Dec 2004 23:01:25 -0800, "Ian.D" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was wondering if anyone has tried to paint their helmet ? I've got a
    >giro pneumo and would like to paint it (it's the carbon color model). I
    >just want to add some more color too. Any ideas what type of paint will
    >work that won't destroy the integrity of the helmet ?

    Water-based paints won't stick. Most solvent-based paints will eat
    the styrofoam. Many solvent-based paints will distort the shiny
    shell, so trying to peel that off and paint it separately will most
    likely be a bad move.

    Short form answer: No.

    Long form answer: The most likely result of any attempt to paint the
    helmet will be the need to purchase a replacement or the need to
    remove the ugly remnants of the failed paint job.

    Of course, you could always trim peel-and-stick shelf liner to fit the
    various sections and cover the surface with that; there's a
    particularly tasteful pattern here...

    http://www.contactbrand.com//productDetail.asp?sku=6B6200&bb=color&id=13

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/6bhsg

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  6. Ian.D wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone has tried to paint their helmet ? I've got a
    > giro pneumo and would like to paint it (it's the carbon color model). I
    > just want to add some more color too. Any ideas what type of paint will
    > work that won't destroy the integrity of the helmet ?

    I once sprayed a Giro helmet with no hardshell left (it had melted in
    the car) using Humbrol enamel and thinners. It had no visible effect on
    the polystyrene (think about it: model aircraft kits are polystyrene and
    this is the paint recommended for them).

    Then again, I never actually wore the helmet so I didn't care what it
    was doing to the structure. It was just an intellectual exercise.

  7. BobI

    BobI Guest

    Ian,
    I've thought about doing this also. Like most I don't want to destroy my
    helmet either.
    I fly RC airplanes too and have tried to add some flair to my lid with
    "monokote". Monokote is a thin polyester film for covering the wood
    structure of the model aircraft. It's attached by heating the film with a
    small iron, which activates the glue, and pressing the film to whatever you
    want to attach it to. I've built foam airplanes also, the stuff will stick
    to many different materials. You just have to clean the surface of any oil
    and dirt etc. The trick is to use the lowest temperature to get the job
    done. You can also us a solvent to "set" the glue and apply the film that
    way. The film also shrinks as it's heated, so you could cover your whole
    helmet to make it water proof. I haven't tried this yet though. Monokote is
    a brand name that's made by the TopFlite company. Other companies make the
    stuff also with slightly different properties. You can cut the stuff with a
    razor blade, knife or scissors. It comes in all sorts of colors too.
    Check it out:
    http://www.monokote.com/index.html