Painting my 2 wheel whip

turt_mc_gurt

Nov 5, 2009
My dad has given me his old trek. It is a 1989, yes the first year Trek made a carbon fiber bike. I love this bike more than ne thing. However it is black and PURPLE. The color scheme was possibly cool in '89, how ever it is not so cool today. True story: i asked a 6 year old if he wanted to race the other day, and he replied "no your bike is gay." I am deffinatly comfortable in my sexuality, however I feel I would look much bad ass on a bike with a 'flat black' paint job.
I have dont a few paint repairs on cars before and all the took was some sanding and a few coats. I have never painted carbon fiber before. How do I do this.
Also, how extensive is the taking apart/putting back together process? im assuming I am going to have to take everything off including the brakes, brake lines, derailleur, etc.
Is this project realistic, or too much work/risk?

Thanks for the advice!

Too much work/risk.

You would look much bad ass if you weren't asking 6 yr-olds to race. :cool:

frenchyge said:
You would look much bad ass if you weren't asking 6 yr-olds to race. :cool:

Hahahahaha :D

as far as the bike, I don't have enough experience to give you any kind of answer.

i think that will be very hard task ,if you can not paint it well .it will not better than before,so i think you can look for a professional one instead.

frenchyge said:
Too much work/risk.

No it isn't !

Carbon fiber needs to be sanded back first with coarse grit sand paper for rapid removal of unwanted material. Then follow up with a very fine grit sand paper, to ensure a perfect finish.

If you find or create any cracks, you need to carefully place duct tape over them before commencing to repaint.

You need to sand back past the carbon fiber and leave bare plastic, then paint with carbon fiber colored paint. You can usually buy it on ebay, if not take the attached color sample to your local paint store and get them to mix you up a few tins.

Well, I am not a paint and body guy but I have heard that you should not sand past the paint on a carbon frame even if it means leaving some old paint.
You will need to tape all openings such as bottom bracket etc and maybe even apply extra grease there so the paint doesn't adhere and gum up the threads but remove all grease and debris from area to be painted. Wipe down with prep-sol or a good pre-painting solvent.Choose a good dust free environment for the painting area. I would also apply a primer( tint depends on paint color), let it dry as recommended then first dry sand with about 160 sandpaper and then wet sand with 200-220.Let frame dry. Apply paint let dry as recommended and then apply clear coat.
As mentioned a lot of work if done properly.

jhuskey said:
As mentioned a lot of work if done properly.

...and which still doesn't address the removal and proper reassembly of componentry, knowledge and special tools required, etc. Some folks could do that stuff in their sleep (and have all the right tools already), but for others it'd be a pain.

frenchyge said:
...and which still doesn't address the removal and proper reassembly of componentry, knowledge and special tools required, etc. Some folks could do that stuff in their sleep (and have all the right tools already), but for others it'd be a pain.

I considered mentioning removing cables, drop bars,crank set,, rear cassette, drop outs etc. but I hoped the OP had considered all of this and it is way to complex for me to get into the disassembly directions.
Agreed it is a bit of an effort for the results. I know a guy that stipped his MTB and had it chromed.
He was a odd individual, imo.

jhuskey said:
I know a guy that stipped his MTB and had it chromed.
He was a odd individual, imo.

A powder-coat would be nice if weight weren't a big issue.

turt_mc_gurt said:
My dad has given me his old trek. It is a 1989, yes the first year Trek made a carbon fiber bike. I love this bike more than ne thing. However it is black and PURPLE. The color scheme was possibly cool in '89, how ever it is not so cool today. True story: i asked a 6 year old if he wanted to race the other day, and he replied "no your bike is gay." I am deffinatly comfortable in my sexuality, however I feel I would look much bad ass on a bike with a 'flat black' paint job.
I have dont a few paint repairs on cars before and all the took was some sanding and a few coats. I have never painted carbon fiber before. How do I do this.
Also, how extensive is the taking apart/putting back together process? im assuming I am going to have to take everything off including the brakes, brake lines, derailleur, etc.
Is this project realistic, or too much work/risk?
If you don't completely strip the clear coat, then you are simply painting over the clear coat instead of the carbon fiber.

So, if weight isn't a factor, then after you remove everything (I would simply use masking tape to cover the headset cups/races) ...

Wash the frame & fork ...

Let dry ...

LIGHTLY prime over existing finish ... sand lightly with 200 grit or finer ... wipe off dust ... roll up a piece of paper & put it in the BB shell to "protect" the threads & in put another rolled up piece of paper in the seat tube and/or head tube ... spray with FLAT BLACK.

Reassemble.