Painting Road Pedals

gkamieneski

Sep 11, 2003
I have some old Shimano Ultegra (Look-style) pedals that I would like to refinish. They are a gloss white enamel for the pedal body. What would be the best type of paint to use, spray or brush? Seems to me that the right epoxy enamel could be brushed on and would cure as a solid without brush strokes. I'm not looking to maintain the Shimano labeling, but the solid white pedal body would look great.

I don't know which would be more durable, but I would just tape off what needed to be masked & then spray it (after prepping the surfaces).

If the spray finish proves not to be durable enough, then I might go through the effort of brushing painting it.

After the brushed-on finish proves not to be durable enough, then I would just periodically touch up the finish with some more spray paint!

This may-or-may-not-be true:

The thicker the paint, the more easily it is chipped ...

If it was me I would just go buy new pedals.I have done this before and they look like **** to me.I'm not saying your will turn out this way but if I did them they would lol.Pedals are not that much if you don't go for the high end ones.Just my .02 cents on this.Anyway have a great time riding.

If you've used anything with silicone in it on or near the pedals, the project will fail unless you find a way to remove the silicone. I think 3m makes a wipe.

KDC1956 said:
If it was me I would just go buy new pedals.I have done this before and they look like **** to me.I'm not saying your will turn out this way but if I did them they would lol.Pedals are not that much if you don't go for the high end ones.Just my .02 cents on this.Anyway have a great time riding.

Well, if you brush the paint on, the pedals will always look like ****. The idea that you won't see the brush strokes couldn't be farther from reality. Also, keep in mind that after painting, every little imperfection will show, meaning that if you want the pedals to really look good, you will need to invest a considerable amount of work, completely disassembling the pedal, using lots of elbow grease and sanding paper to create a smooth surface, putting some primer on, sanding again, repeat as necessary, before you can put the finish on. By the time you're done, you will probably wonder why you didn't just buy new pedals...;)

Professional bead-blast and powder coating will equal the original finish, but new pedals will be cheaper :)