painting SKS/esge fenders?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Daniel, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?

    Repainting a bike and toying with the idea of doing up a set of fenders while I'm at it.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    > clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?

    What type of plastic are your fenders made from? Many car parts are various types of plastic these
    days, and I've seen paints applied to plastic using a coat of "Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter".
    Wont work with lexan, but should work for most else. Some automotive paint manufacturers have very
    good customer support for such things, try emailing a couple once you know the type of plastic.
    They're more than happy to sell you paint and also avoiding lawsuits (in case you melt the plastic
    and kill your family with toxic fumes).

    I've had good luck painting plastic with model paints ... specifically, the spray paints used to
    paint scale radio controlled cars such as this one:

    http://tinyurl.com/yw8u5

    Basically the body is just for show. It's a thin, clear PVC type flexible plastic (you paint from
    the inside, comes out great). I've trashed my truck over the years and the paint has barely flaked
    off. The paint tends to etch itself into the plastic.

    I would try a paint specific to plastic first, and paint an unobtrusive part to test, such as the
    inside of the seat post mount or a part hidden with a metal mounting clip. You should be able to
    find plastic specific paint that will work good for your application if model paints don't work out.

    Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out (with pictures!).
    C.Q.C.

  3. Dan Daniel wrote:

    > Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    > clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?
    >=20
    > Repainting a bike and toying with the idea of doing up a set of fenders while I'm at it.=20

    Highly recommended, it looks really nice. Here are a couple of mine:

    http://sheldonbrown.org/rambouillet/index.html

    http://sheldonbrown.org/bass/index.html

    These were both done with rattlecan Krylon, after wiping the mudguards=20 down with rubbing alcohol
    to make sure they weren't greasy. Still looks =

    good after quite a few miles.

    On the Rambouillet, I also did the Z=E9fal pump, but the paint didn't=20 adhere at all well to the
    black anodized aluminum.

    Sheldon "Paint" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------+
    | Le beau est aussi utile que l'utile --Victor Hugo | (The beautiful is as useful as the useful) |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  4. Garry Nold

    Garry Nold Guest

    Here is my entry for painted SKS fenders:
    http://home.ix.netcom.com/~lksbks/id1.html

    Garry

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    > clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?
    >
    > Repainting a bike and toying with the idea of doing up a set of fenders while I'm at it.
    >
    > Thanks.

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Dan Daniel wrote:
    > Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    > clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?
    >
    > Repainting a bike and toying with the idea of doing up a set of fenders while I'm at it.

    That sort of material is commonly painted in auto body shops so if you prep the substrate and use a
    good primer sealer there's no reason you can't expect a durable good looking result.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/g'boo.html

  6. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:11:53 -0500, Sheldon Brown
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dan Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    >> clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?
    >>
    >> Repainting a bike and toying with the idea of doing up a set of fenders while I'm at it.
    >
    >Highly recommended, it looks really nice. Here are a couple of mine:
    >
    >http://sheldonbrown.org/rambouillet/index.html
    >
    >http://sheldonbrown.org/bass/index.html
    >
    >These were both done with rattlecan Krylon, after wiping the mudguards down with rubbing alcohol to
    >make sure they weren't greasy. Still looks good after quite a few miles.

    Thanks for the photos. Looks nice.

    >On the Rambouillet, I also did the Zéfal pump, but the paint didn't adhere at all well to the black
    >anodized aluminum.
    >
    >Sheldon "Paint" Brown

    Yeah, you need to prep aluminum well. I don't know what anodizing does for painting, but for regular
    aluminum I'd sand and then use a special etching agent, or a two-part etch primer. Primer is
    important with metals.

  7. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:59:44 -0500, "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    >> clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?
    >
    >What type of plastic are your fenders made from? Many car parts are various types of plastic these
    >days, and I've seen paints applied to plastic using a coat of "Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter".
    >Wont work with lexan, but should work for most else. Some automotive paint manufacturers have very
    >good customer support for such things, try emailing a couple once you know the type of plastic.
    >They're more than happy to sell you paint and also avoiding lawsuits (in case you melt the plastic
    >and kill your family with toxic fumes).

    I am not certain of the type of plastic. From using a dremel on it, I'd say a styrene or ABS.
    Although maybe polycarbonate/Lexan?? That will make things difficult. I'll run some tests at
    work today.

    Thanks for the reminder about Lexan. Planet Bike's fenders are made from polycarbonate, they say.

    Thanks for reminding me about auto paint stores. I know we have some flex agent and some adhesion
    promoter around at work. I'll play around and maybe make some calls.

    >I've had good luck painting plastic with model paints ... specifically, the spray paints used to
    >paint scale radio controlled cars such as this one:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/yw8u5
    >
    >Basically the body is just for show. It's a thin, clear PVC type flexible plastic (you paint from
    >the inside, comes out great). I've trashed my truck over the years and the paint has barely flaked
    >off. The paint tends to etch itself into the plastic.

    Hmmmm... so these radio-controlled cars come in clear plastic and you paint from the inside? That's
    a great solution to chipping and scratching. And it probably gives a nice glossy topcoat effect.

    Too bad the fenders aren't clear plastic- that would be a great look, backpainted clear plastic.

    >I would try a paint specific to plastic first, and paint an unobtrusive part to test, such as
    >the inside of the seat post mount or a part hidden with a metal mounting clip. You should be
    >able to find plastic specific paint that will work good for your application if model paints
    >don't work out.

    I have access to lacquers and other paint types at work, and am painting plastics all the time. Some
    model paints are based on lacquer, I know. I guess I'll be painting the inside of the fenders in
    small pieces over the next few days.

    >Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out (with pictures!).
    >C.Q.C.

    Thanks. It will be a month or more before the bike is back on the road.

  8. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    http://www.krylon.com/product/gp_product_detail.asp?sgID=GP07
    --
    Rick "Say 'I Love You' with Krylon this Valentine's day"

  9. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    "Sheldon Brown" wrote in message ...

    > On the Rambouillet, I also did the Zéfal pump, but the paint didn't adhere at all well to the
    > black anodized aluminum.

    I recently had a fork and frame pump painted to match a frame. The work was done by JP at Rainbow
    Cycle Craft in Niwot, CO. (Thanks to Peter C. for recommending him.) I brought in a Zéfal HPX, but
    he advised against painting it in favor of a plastic frame pump, primarily because of the rough
    surface on the front of the pump (the part Sheldon didn't paint). So I got a Zéfal FPX and he
    painted that instead.

    A couple of pictures here:

    http://photos.yahoo.com/brucedavidlange

    Please excuse the hastily-taken substandard photos, the paint job itself is beautiful. The bike has
    not been built up yet so I can't say how long the paint on the pump will last, but it seems very
    durable to my untrained eye. I highly recommend Rainbow Cycle Craft: 303-652-3009.

    Sheldon, great color scheme on the Rambouillet! :)

    -Bruce-

  10. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:32:48 GMT, "garry nold" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Here is my entry for painted SKS fenders: http://home.ix.netcom.com/~lksbks/id1.html
    >
    >Garry

    Looks nice. I hadn't thought about striping the fenders like yours. I don't see why the painter
    would never do it again. It's a pretty simple mask.

    Any idea what kind of paint was used?

  11. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:41:34 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Dan Daniel wrote:
    >> Anyone ever paint these fenders? Any idea if acrylic lacquer will stick? Do they need a urethane
    >> clear coat? Will it all just crack and/or flake off over time?
    >>
    >> Repainting a bike and toying with the idea of doing up a set of fenders while I'm at it.
    >
    >That sort of material is commonly painted in auto body shops so if you prep the substrate and use a
    >good primer sealer there's no reason you can't expect a durable good looking result.
    >
    >http://www.yellowjersey.org/g'boo.html

    The wood fenders are great. Still making them?

    Any idea what the plastic is in the SKS fenders?