Pair of SpeedMachines spotted in Central IL

Barry S.

Guest
Last weekend there was a 30-something couple from Terra Haute, IN riding a pair of SpeedMachines on
our local C-U Across the Prairie tour. The bikes looked pretty sleek; but I could tell that they
were twitchy at low speeds. They weren't riding very fast at all - we easily overtook the
SpeedMachines on our upright road bikes, and we were running 14 mph average. Apparently one of the
SpeedMachine riders dropped his chain, locked up a wheel and dumped it. He said this was the 2nd
time in a month that this had happened. I didn't get a chance to examine the bike; but that's not
something you expect to happen on a $3,000+ bike.

I've test ridden a SpeedMachine. Very cushy, feels nice; but isn't very fast. The only local owner
of a SpeedMachine (AFAIK) agrees with me on this. He calls his bike the "SlowMachine" :) I don't
want to dump on 'em too much; but I can't say that these SpeedMachines are impressing me much from
what I've heard and experienced. They sure do look great, though.

Barry

Any bike can throw the chain and lock up the rear wheel, if the derailluer is out of adjustment. It
is a simple thing to correct and should have been done after the first time. Why would someone
continue to ride a bike that has this dangereous problem? Ben Fox "Barry S." <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:k8QHa.60023$YZ2.222150@rwcrnsc53...
> Last weekend there was a 30-something couple from Terra Haute, IN riding a pair of SpeedMachines
> on our local C-U Across the Prairie tour. The bikes looked pretty sleek; but I could tell that
> they were twitchy at low
speeds.
> They weren't riding very fast at all - we easily overtook the
SpeedMachines
> on our upright road bikes, and we were running 14 mph average. Apparently one of the SpeedMachine
> riders dropped his chain, locked up a wheel and dumped it. He said this was the 2nd time in a
> month that this had
happened.
> I didn't get a chance to examine the bike; but that's not something you expect to happen on a
> $3,000+ bike.
>
> I've test ridden a SpeedMachine. Very cushy, feels nice; but isn't very fast. The only local owner
> of a SpeedMachine (AFAIK) agrees with me on this. He calls his bike the "SlowMachine" :) I don't
> want to dump on
'em
> too much; but I can't say that these SpeedMachines are impressing me much from what I've heard and
> experienced. They sure do look great, though.
>
> Barry

I've had mine for two and a bit years and coming up 11,000 km and have had no chain troubles at all.
As my grate frend Parry once said, this smacks of managerial incompetence...

As to speed, it averaged about 23 mph for two hours around Castle Combe in 2001 with the "race"
tailbox; last Sunday Big Iain averaged about 21 on his (no tailbox, Rohloff transmission) for the
same time.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Barry S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<k8QHa.60023$YZ2.222150@rwcrnsc53>...
> Last weekend there was a 30-something couple from Terra Haute, IN riding a pair of SpeedMachines
> on our local C-U Across the Prairie tour. The bikes looked pretty sleek; but I could tell that
> they were twitchy at low speeds. They weren't riding very fast at all - we easily overtook the
> SpeedMachines on our upright road bikes, and we were running 14 mph average. Apparently one of the
> SpeedMachine riders dropped his chain, locked up a wheel and dumped it. He said this was the 2nd
> time in a month that this had happened. I didn't get a chance to examine the bike; but that's not
> something you expect to happen on a $3,000+ bike.
>
> I've test ridden a SpeedMachine. Very cushy, feels nice; but isn't very fast. The only local owner
> of a SpeedMachine (AFAIK) agrees with me on this. He calls his bike the "SlowMachine" :) I don't
> want to dump on 'em too much; but I can't say that these SpeedMachines are impressing me much from
> what I've heard and experienced. They sure do look great, though.
>
> Barry

I certainly would not categorize the Speedmachine as a "Slowmachine". I admit that the namesake
alone may set up loftly expectations but, as with every other bike; your performance may vary
depending on the motor. IMO the only short coming it does have is it's gravitational impairment.
Starting just under 40lbs and then adding real world riding essentials places the bike in the low
40-something lbs. range. I suppose that's the price you pay when you have dual suspension and disc
brakes. These are features that are not usually found together on your typical "go fast" bent. I
believe HPV's intent with the Speedmachine's offering wasn't to compete with lowracer crowd
(Jester, Baron, M-5 etc..). I see the Speedmachine more as a refined light-tourer with above
average speed potential, especially on down-hills.

Pierre

I think the speed of this particular instance was dictated by the riders, not the Speedmachine. These bikes have a good reputation.

I would imagine the slowness you feel is because you are used to riding a lighter bike. Here's an example: I ride a Canto. It is way faster and lighter than my older BikeE. I can average speeds untenable on my BikeE. But to someone riding a Baron or some light bike, the Canto is slow.

The derailleur, IMHO, is a matter of either poor shifting or poor adjustment. One can throw a chain like that by shifting from 1-1 to 3-1 (unacceptable gear to use). Or the derailleur is in bad need of adjustment.

While motorcycle camping in Tennessee last weekend, I rode the Cherohala Skyway (on the motorcycle)
There was an organized ride of 116 miles in the mountains.

I saw one bent, I believe a V**2 . Anyone we know here.

If you finished that ride, my hat's off to you.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

Thank You Pierre and Dave L. for great comments A good bike put together and adjusted poorly or
poorly maintained is a piece of **** no matter what the pricetag. What does it mean when Dave
Larrington on his 40 lb SpeedMachine passes me on on grammed down 22lb AERO. It means he is a better
athlete. So should I go home and drill more holes it the seat, get a 1200 gr. wheelset? or lose
20lbs and train for speed? Duh....Get the drill and buy a lighter wheelset of course.

news:[email protected]...

Pierre wrote:

> I certainly would not categorize the Speedmachine as a "Slowmachine". I admit that the namesake
> alone may set up loftly expectations but, as with every other bike; your performance may vary
> depending on the motor. IMO the only short coming it does have is it's gravitational impairment.
> Starting just under 40lbs and then adding real world riding essentials places the bike in the
> low 40-something lbs. range. I suppose that's the price you pay when you have dual suspension
> and disc brakes. These are features that are not usually found together on your typical "go
> fast" bent. I believe HPV's intent with the Speedmachine's offering wasn't to compete with
> lowracer crowd (Jester, Baron, M-5 etc..). I see the Speedmachine more as a refined light-tourer
> with above average speed potential, especially on down-hills.

For what it is worth, the "SlowMachine" owner's primary bike is an Easy Racers GRR with a Super
Zzipper and a bodysock.

Tom Sherman - Test road the "SlowMachine" a couple of weeks ago Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

bentcruiser wrote:
> ... The derailleur, IMHO, is a matter of either poor shifting or poor adjustment. One can throw a
> chain like that by shifting from 1-1 to 3-1 (unacceptable gear to use)....

Not on a bike or trike with a step-up jackshaft. :)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer :)

"Barry S." wrote:
> ... I've test ridden a SpeedMachine. Very cushy, feels nice; but isn't very fast. The only local
> owner of a SpeedMachine (AFAIK) agrees with me on this. He calls his bike the "SlowMachine" :) I
> don't want to dump on 'em too much; but I can't say that these SpeedMachines are impressing me
> much from what I've heard and experienced. They sure do look great, though.

When I rode the "SlowMachine" a couple of weeks ago, a couple of things struck me. The bike seemed
huge compared to my Sunset and the complex rear suspension was inferior in terms of pedaling induced
pogo and shock absorption to the simple set-up on my Dragonflyer.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer :)

> Pierre wrote:
> >
> > I certainly would not categorize the Speedmachine as a "Slowmachine". I admit that the
> > namesake alone may set up loftly expectations but, as with every other bike; your performance
> > may vary depending on the motor. IMO the only short coming it does have is it's gravitational
> > impairment. Starting just under 40lbs and then adding real world riding essentials places the
> > bike in the low 40-something lbs. range. I suppose that's the price you pay when you have dual
> > suspension and disc brakes. These are features that are not usually found together on your
> > typical "go fast" bent. I believe HPV's intent with the Speedmachine's offering wasn't to
> > compete with lowracer crowd (Jester, Baron, M-5 etc..). I see the Speedmachine more as a
> > refined light-tourer with above average speed potential, especially on down-hills.
>
> For what it is worth, the "SlowMachine" owner's primary bike is an Easy Racers GRR with a Super
> Zzipper and a bodysock.
>
> Tom Sherman - Test road the "SlowMachine" a couple of weeks ago Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Tom, Also FWIW. If a rider's natural default is to the BB height of a GRR, it stands to
reason as to why they might be challenged for performance on a Speedmachine. The SM's BB
height is drastically higher than that of the GRR's. It's been my observation that for most
riders the higher BB bikes take longer to become acclimated to, especially if they are
accustome to a lower BB.

Another observation that MAY apply,(No disrespect intended); Your typical aero-belly can excel
on a GRR but, would be challenged in the tight cockpit of the SM.

-Pierre

Pierre wrote:

> > For what it is worth, the "SlowMachine" owner's primary bike is an Easy Racers GRR with a Super
> > Zzipper and a bodysock.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Test road the "SlowMachine" a couple of weeks ago Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
>
> Tom, Also FWIW. If a rider's natural default is to the BB height of a GRR, it stands to reason
> as to why they might be challenged for performance on a Speedmachine. The SM's BB height is
> drastically higher than that of the GRR's. It's been my observation that for most riders the
> higher BB bikes take longer to become acclimated to, especially if they are accustome to a
> lower BB.
>
> Another observation that MAY apply,(No disrespect intended); Your typical aero-belly can excel
> on a GRR but, would be challenged in the tight cockpit of the SM.

The "SlowMachine"'s owner has also ridden a P-38 extensively which has a BB above seat level and a
very closed hip angle position.