"Pajero" IS "wanker" in Spanish.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Flapflapflap, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. Flapflapflap

    Flapflapflap Guest

    Hello everyone,

    In a topic in this group the Spanish word "pajero"'s equivalence to the
    English word "wanker" was said to b a myth. The basis for this
    assertion was the use of Babelfish to try to translate "wanker" from
    English to Spanish. Unfortunately Babelfish is complete rubbish and
    will rarely translate anything correctly- it cannot be relied upon.
    Babelfish also does not translate profanities. Thus the use of
    Babelfish proves nothing.

    I have been studying Castilian Spanish (castellano, or what English
    speakers KNOW as "Spanish") for eight years now, I have many Spanish
    speaking friends and I own several Spanish dictionaries. In a recent
    edition of the Oxford English-Spanish Spanish-English bilingual
    dictionary, the English word "wanker" translates to "pajero/a" or
    "mamón/a". The use of the term in this way is confirmed by all the
    native speakers with whom I have spoken. Hence, a pajero is a wanker,
    and the Pajero car bears this embarrassing name. I would have to agree
    with everyone who says that this name is most accurate

    The term derives from "hacer una paja", to "make a straw". It makes
    little sense of itself, but is indeed a term. One can see another
    example of a strange word having profane significance in the word
    "polla" (feminised "chicken", pronounced "pol-ya" or "poyya" or with a
    particular soft "j" in Argentina), a profane term for the male
    genitals.

    Tags:

  2. Flapflapflap

    Flapflapflap Guest

    By "b" I obviously meant "be". Try typing with an ill fitting ring on
    your thumb. :-S

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    err, no. its based on asking (funnily enuff) SPANISH PEOPLE (their the ones born in spain. duuuhhh).
    this has also applied to: Fuego, Aptiva, GeorgeBush and flapflapflap.
    run along little trolley-troll

    PS fanx for that. i was bored but you have brightened it up for me now

  4. Flapflapflap

    Flapflapflap Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > err, no. its based on asking (funnily enuff) SPANISH PEOPLE (their the
    > ones born in spain. duuuhhh).
    > this has also applied to: Fuego, Aptiva, GeorgeBush and flapflapflap.
    > run along little trolley-troll
    >
    > PS fanx for that. i was bored but you have brightened it up for me now
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    The facts are clear. Pajero means "wanker" in colloquial Spanish. I
    have no reason to lie, I really don't care either way. Look up a
    comprehensive Spanish dictionary.

  5. Flapflapflap

    Flapflapflap Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > err, no. its based on asking (funnily enuff) SPANISH PEOPLE (their the
    > ones born in spain. duuuhhh).
    > this has also applied to: Fuego, Aptiva, GeorgeBush and flapflapflap.
    > run along little trolley-troll
    >
    > PS fanx for that. i was bored but you have brightened it up for me now
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    The facts are clear. Pajero means "wanker" in colloquial Spanish. I
    have no reason to lie, I really don't care either way. Look up a
    comprehensive Spanish dictionary.

  6. Flapflapflap

    Flapflapflap Guest

    I seek not only to brighten, but enlighten, with the benefit of years
    of study. Spanish is my passion, while your passion is for sniffing
    young ladies' bicycle seats. We all have our separate passions.

  7. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "Flapflapflap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > By "b" I obviously meant "be". Try typing with an ill fitting ring on
    > your thumb. :-S

    Now I know it is cold out.. but as you've shown, sticking your thumb up
    there isn't going to help your typing...

    cheers,
    GPL

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Oh Ed of minnesota(or whatever). your back!

    if it were youre passion you'da lived there and know what a dumb urban-myth-made-for-suckers that Pajero-joke is

    runalong now...

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Pfff, bloody kitten murderers! :D

    It's really fapfapfap, isn't it?

  10. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

    > Oh Ed of minnesota(or whatever). your back!
    >
    > if it were youre passion you'da lived there and know what a dumb
    > urban-myth-made-for-suckers that Pajero-joke is
    >
    > runalong now...

    Posted from webcache1.itc.griffith.edu.au <-- so either an open proxy, or a
    staff/student/something/someone from that Uni :)

    cheers,
    GPL

  11. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    GPLama <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "flyingdutch" wrote in message ...
    >>
    >> Oh Ed of minnesota(or whatever). your back!
    >>
    >> if it were youre passion you'da lived there and know what a dumb
    >> urban-myth-made-for-suckers that Pajero-joke is
    >>
    >> runalong now...
    >>

    > Posted from webcache1.itc.griffith.edu.au <-- so either an open proxy, or a
    > staff/student/something/someone from that Uni :)

    Yay, my tax dollars at work..

    Wonder if he/she has read the Griffith staff/student IT policy. :)

    --
    ..dt
    1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)

  12. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Flapflapflap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > By "b" I obviously meant "be". Try typing with an ill fitting ring on
    > your thumb. :-S

    Try using your thumb for pressing any key other than the space bar and
    you're in trouble too.

  13. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Flapflapflap wrote:
    > I seek not only to brighten, but enlighten, with the benefit of years
    > of study. Spanish is my passion, while your passion is for sniffing
    > young ladies' bicycle seats. We all have our separate passions.

    Please excuse him, he's from Barcelona.

    Marty

  14. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Flapflapflap wrote:

    > flyingdutch wrote:
    >
    >>err, no. its based on asking (funnily enuff) SPANISH PEOPLE (their the
    >>ones born in spain. duuuhhh).
    >>this has also applied to: Fuego, Aptiva, GeorgeBush and flapflapflap.
    >>run along little trolley-troll
    >>
    >>PS fanx for that. i was bored but you have brightened it up for me now
    >>

    >>--
    >>flyingdutch

    > The facts are clear. Pajero means "wanker" in colloquial Spanish. I
    > have no reason to lie, I really don't care either way. Look up a
    > comprehensive Spanish dictionary.

    You're too late. Someone brought this up about a month ago and we've
    been through it all, checked the various facts, spoken to people from
    Spain and established it as an urban myth.

    Marty

  15. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    <snip>
    > if it were youre passion you'da lived there and know what a dumb
    > urban-myth-made-for-suckers that Pajero-joke is

    I don't think it's a joke. I've heard confirmation from multiple sources
    that Pajero does mean wanker. The best source was my Spanish teacher who
    knew a lot about all the different forms of spanish around the world. She
    couldn't believe we drove cars called Pajeros. She seemed to think that the
    name came from a particular variety of Spanish (can't remember which) where
    it meant something slightly more relevant to what the car maker intended.
    The Pajero is called a Montero in most other parts of the world for this
    very reason.

  16. Duncan wrote:

    > I don't think it's a joke. I've heard confirmation from
    > multiple sources that Pajero does mean wanker. The best
    > source was my Spanish teacher who knew a lot about all the
    > different forms of spanish around the world. She couldn't
    > believe we drove cars called Pajeros. She seemed to think
    > that the name came from a particular variety of Spanish
    > (can't remember which) where it meant something slightly more
    > relevant to what the car maker intended. The Pajero is called
    > a Montero in most other parts of the world for this very
    > reason.

    This reminds me of the time that Wang Computer issued all its
    field engineers T-shirts with the slogan "Wang cares".
    Australian engineers were saved from a fate worse than death
    only when local managment rang the US and explained that
    Aussies like to run words together.

    Can I bring this back on-topic by saying that computers in
    Australia run on 50 cycles?

    John

  17. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    Duncan wrote:
    > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > <snip>
    >
    >>if it were youre passion you'da lived there and know what a dumb
    >>urban-myth-made-for-suckers that Pajero-joke is

    > I don't think it's a joke. I've heard confirmation from multiple sources
    > that Pajero does mean wanker. The best source was my Spanish teacher who
    > knew a lot about all the different forms of spanish around the world. She
    > couldn't believe we drove cars called Pajeros. She seemed to think that the
    > name came from a particular variety of Spanish (can't remember which) where
    > it meant something slightly more relevant to what the car maker intended.
    > The Pajero is called a Montero in most other parts of the world for this
    > very reason.

    its also called "shogun" in the UK.

    cheers,

    kim

  18. Marty <[email protected]> writes:

    > Flapflapflap wrote:
    >> flyingdutch wrote:
    >>
    >>>err, no. its based on asking (funnily enuff) SPANISH PEOPLE (their the
    >>>ones born in spain. duuuhhh).
    >>>this has also applied to: Fuego, Aptiva, GeorgeBush and flapflapflap.
    >>>run along little trolley-troll
    >>>
    >>>PS fanx for that. i was bored but you have brightened it up for me now
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>flyingdutch

    >> The facts are clear. Pajero means "wanker" in colloquial Spanish. I
    >> have no reason to lie, I really don't care either way. Look up a
    >> comprehensive Spanish dictionary.
    >>

    > You're too late. Someone brought this up about a month ago and we've
    > been through it all, checked the various facts, spoken to people from
    > Spain and established it as an urban myth.

    Well unestablish it, and then apologise to the OP.

    Collins Spanish Concise Dictionary (1993):

    pajero nm (fam!) tosser (fam!), wanker (fam!)

    wanker n. (Brit fam!) pajero/a m/f (fam!)

    Or perhaps you think Collins is in on the conspiracy...

    David

    --

    David Trudgett
    http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

    The sad fact of the matter is that when you break international law
    and start a completely unprovoked war on a sovereign country based on
    a pile of lies, and then engage in a brutal occupation murdering and
    torturing innocent civilians, everyone is going to be in the
    resistance. Not everyone has the ability to fight in the same way, and
    the most active fighters may very well be Sunni veterans of Saddam's
    army. Blaming the resistance on foreign fighters or Sunni deadenders
    is just another in the long series of American lies about Iraq
    intended to fit this conflict into the American mythology that
    everything the United States does is good, and all its opponents are
    bad. This mythology - proven to be a complete lie so many, many times
    - is so ingrained into American thinking that even the best
    commentators cannot grasp the reality of the ongoing resistance of the
    people of Iraq to the evil American oppression. It isn't going to be
    psychologically possible for Americans to end the occupation until
    Americans start to accept the reality of the fact that they are not
    noble liberators but brutal occupiers, and the whole country of Iraq
    wants them out, now.

    -- Xymphora,
    <http://xymphora.blogspot.com/2005/05/mystery-of-iraqi-resistance.html>

  19. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    I believe it may have been me who introduced this important linguistic issue
    to the group a few months ago. My sources are Argentinian and gave me the
    story when I was living in the UK. They said that literally pajero had
    something to do with straw (the grass type) and their is some colloquial
    relationship to the male anatomy in this respect. My source also said that
    the meaning is colloquial and varies from place to place, so that not all
    spanish speaking places would call a wanker a pajero. In my long search to
    vindicate my initial statement to the group (I did a 5 second search for
    "Pajero Wanker Spanish" on Google), I found the following website which
    gives a reasonable sounding description of the word (I hasten to add that I
    don't always believe everything I read on the web).
    http://chameleon-translations.com/Index-Companies-pajero.shtml

    Having said all that, I think it was dave who put it best: "Pajero means
    wanker in all languages."

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Flapflapflap wrote:
    > > I seek not only to brighten, but enlighten, with the benefit of years
    > > of study. Spanish is my passion, while your passion is for sniffing
    > > young ladies' bicycle seats. We all have our separate passions.
    > >

    > Please excuse him, he's from Barcelona.
    >
    > Marty

  20. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Flapflapflap wrote:

    > I seek not only to brighten, but enlighten, with the benefit of years
    > of study. Spanish is my passion, while your passion is for sniffing
    > young ladies' bicycle seats. We all have our separate passions.

    Is that you Ed Dolan?

    Tam