Paketa Magnesium bikes rule!

BJC

Sep 11, 2003
I just received my new Paketa Magnesium bike and it simply rules! The characteristics of Mg are that of carbon, titanium, steel and aluminum materials rolled into one super light bike. It has the dampening qualities of Carbon but doesn't feel dead; it has the comfort of titanium and steel but is way lighter and it has the agility of aluminum but stronger (due to thicker tube walls). Paketa did a beautiful thing. I just thought I would pass along to fellow cyclists. Later, I'm heading out and doing a century.

How much did that set you back? Do you have any links, or pictures?

Magnesium has long been overlooked as impractical and too problematic to be used for frames -- I'm wondering if you're worried about its corrosion issues, or its longevity.

Happy for you nonetheless. Sounds like a real gem; love to hear more about it. Best of luck, and happy riding!

Originally posted by lokstah
How much did that set you back? Do you have any links, or pictures?

Magnesium has long been overlooked as impractical and too problematic to be used for frames -- I'm wondering if you're worried about its corrosion issues, or its longevity.

Happy for you nonetheless. Sounds like a real gem; love to hear more about it. Best of luck, and happy riding!

I believe it's www.paketa.com or paketabike.com. The frame/fork set me back 1200. Much nicer than my colnago which set me back 1700 for the frame alone. No lie, it's a better ride than the dream.

I've heard the it's longevity is that of aluminum; basically a 3-5 year bike. Who knows though? I'm pretty light so I doubt I'm taxing the chainstays as much as a 200lb rider would.

Happy riding to you!

Originally posted by BaCardi
They're claiming that aluminum bike is magnesium?

I understand they have proof it is 94% Mg. It rides much nicer than even the nicest aluminum bikes.

Originally posted by BJC
I understand they have proof it is 94% Mg. It rides much nicer than even the nicest aluminum bikes.

:D HAHA! Yeah right. I'd like to see that "proof".

Originally posted by BaCardi
:D HAHA! Yeah right. I'd like to see that "proof".

Hi BaCardi,

My name is Jim Malmgren of Paketa Magnesium Cycles. We have had our tubing tested in an independent lab to show the exact composition of the alloy.

As BJC claims, our alloy is in fact 94% magnesium. Send me an e-mail at: [email protected] and I will be happy to forward the analysis to you.

Best regards,
Jim

Originally posted by Jim Malmgren
Hi BaCardi,

My name is Jim Malmgren of Paketa Magnesium Cycles. We have had our tubing tested in an independent lab to show the exact composition of the alloy.

As BJC claims, our alloy is in fact 94% magnesium. Send me an e-mail at: [email protected] and I will be happy to forward the analysis to you.

Best regards,
Jim

sounds like you have your proof there Bacardi!

lol

Hi BaCardi,

Best regards,
Jim

So Jim.
I´d like to know what is the STW (stiffness to weight) on your frame?

Hi BaCardi,

Best regards,
Jim
Jim, cool of you to drop by! Maybe you could share some thoughts on magnesium with us curious folks... I've heard buzz, rumours, and caveats, but they're coming from the mouths of a carbon and aluminum -domintated industry. I've got to confess, I'm using a magnesium stem (the EM90 from Easton).

How serious is the corrosion potential? How does Paketa combat it? How would you characterize magnesium when compared to steel, carbon, aluminum, and titanium?

Thanks again.

I think magnesium bikes actually have magnesium as the main ingredient. After Scandium, people aren't going to fall for the same trick again.

Originally posted by mrowkoob
So Jim.
I´d like to know what is the STW (stiffness to weight) on your frame?

We have some results from a DIN test, but these results really do not give us hard data to answer this type of question (unfortunately). The DIN test just shows that the frame has met their "highest standard". We were in the process of having the old Schwinn Lab here in Boulder do exactly the kind of tests we really wanted, and Pacific sold/moved/got rid of their testing equipment and facilities. We have found it extremely difficult to find a vendor who can provide us this service, and at a reasonable cost.

Luckily, one of the former Schwinn employee's is tooling up as we speak to offer this service again here in Boulder. He has almost everything he needs at last report, so we are hoping to have the kind of test analysis to answer your question within the next 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for your interest, and hope you can be patient for just a little while longer!

Best regards,
Jim

Originally posted by Squint
I think magnesium bikes actually have magnesium as the main ingredient. After Scandium, people aren't going to fall for the same trick again.

Unfortunately, we have seen a few companies try to make the "Magnesium" claim regarding alloys in much the same way the Scandium alloy was presented.

This is not the first time, nor will it be the last, we will have to set the record straight. At least regarding the Paketa frame (and the Pinarello Dogma for that matter). Both frames use an alloy in excess of 90% mg.

Originally posted by lokstah
Jim, cool of you to drop by! Maybe you could share some thoughts on magnesium with us curious folks... I've heard buzz, rumours, and caveats, but they're coming from the mouths of a carbon and aluminum -domintated industry. I've got to confess, I'm using a magnesium stem (the EM90 from Easton).

How serious is the corrosion potential? How does Paketa combat it? How would you characterize magnesium when compared to steel, carbon, aluminum, and titanium?

Thanks again.

I'd love to give my two-cents, however, I've recently had a bit of an accident involving a screwdriver and my hand (don't ask). I'm having to type one-handed and it's just taking forever. Give me a few days to regain the use of my fingers again, and I can supply you with some worthwhile comments to your questions.

Best regards,
Jim

Originally posted by BJC
I just received my new Paketa Magnesium bike and it simply rules! The characteristics of Mg are that of carbon, titanium, steel and aluminum materials rolled into one super light bike. It has the dampening qualities of Carbon but doesn't feel dead; it has the comfort of titanium and steel but is way lighter and it has the agility of aluminum but stronger (due to thicker tube walls). Paketa did a beautiful thing. I just thought I would pass along to fellow cyclists. Later, I'm heading out and doing a century.

sounds pretty nice. give another report after you've logged some more miles!

I'd love to give my two-cents, however, I've recently had a bit of an accident involving a screwdriver and my hand (don't ask). I'm having to type one-handed and it's just taking forever. Give me a few days to regain the use of my fingers again, and I can supply you with some worthwhile comments to your questions.

Best regards,
Jim
Sheesh, good luck with that. Take care.

Originally posted by Squint

What's the "trick" with Scandium? I recently spent good money on a 2000 Ciocc Challenger which supposedly is Scandium.

Originally posted by toseley
What's the "trick" with Scandium? I recently spent good money on a 2000 Ciocc Challenger which supposedly is Scandium.

It's really aluminum with small amounts of other elements mixed in there, including scandium. It's no more scandium than Litespeeds are vanadium.

Regarding Paketa Magnesium bike frames. I think you are asking questions to wrong people. To my knowelege, all magnesium frames that Paketa sells come from Litech company, wich is in Moscow, Russia. Those are the people for a serious conversation about magnesium frames, welding techology and etc. It's rather patheic to read Paketa's web page with all their statements and claims. They may asked the russians to make minor changes in the frame angles when they ordered them and callred it "two years of hard reserch work".