Paketa Magnesium bikes rule!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BJC, Dec 24, 2003.

1. frenk

frenk New Member

2. little_chicken

little_chicken New Member

Well here is the update.. I finally recieved my frame ordered at the same manufacturer in Russia than Paketa's and although the process was quite long and painfull (I would recommend ordering straight from Paketa instead and let them have the hassle if you are in NA) the wait was greatly rewarded. Mg frames are absolutely amazing. I have a 54 cm set up with a Mizuno Fiandre fork, CK Headset and C Rec, plus a set of Mavic Cosmic. I was expecting a harsh ride but wow, its so smoth when you are in tuck that it feels like being on my rollers. Don't be fooled as soon as you get out of saddle you have 0 flex and straight acceleration. My only issue is the paint job that stinks, I would recommend having only the protecting coating and get a local paint.

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Very interesting little_chicken. Could you be so kind as to post a photograph of your frame? :)

Thanks!

4. little_chicken

Sorry I don't have a pic of my finished frame, but here is one of an unpainted frame (bare Mg plus coating).

The welds are very similare to the ones you will find on a std Al frame.

5. lokstah

lokstah New Member

So are the tube shapes and sizes. That's a pretty fat downtube!

Definitely keep us posted.

6. little_chicken

The DT (50x38 mm) and TT (41x33 mm) ovalized looks massive but the frame (without fork) is 2 lbs and 11 onces (that the heavier racing version). The amazing part is the dampening since the wall thicness is 2,5 mm .. yepp no bs .. and they can still get it at that weight, the only ? is durability .. time will tell

7. BJC

BJC New Member

I knew you'd love it! In terms of durability, I've got 10,000 miles on mine and it hasn't changed a bit. Isn't the dampening quality astounding?

8. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

Enough! enough!! enough!!!!!

Enough boring arguing theories. Just call me up when you bunch of arguing professors have decided to do the fire test on the thing! Don't wanna miss out on that one! Can't wait to see the Hindenburg effect!! Uhh, BJC....not a Bianchi, right?...:D

Not that I think you arguing overruled professors, by what appeared to be nothing less than a....chicken!, can learn anything from a simple twowheeler like me. Here all I know on Mg..

weight= incredible
    density=half 6061 alu
    weldabiliy= not easy at all (=bad)
    corrosion= very bad
    fire test= chicken tonight :D

A little Dutch humour on the forum.....

9. little_chicken

The dampening factor is probably the strangest. I had read about it and was quite reluctant to believe this.. I thought it was on of those marketing BS .. but after setting up my bike properly and getting in a good tuck, suddenly all the road noise disapperars and it really feels like you ridding on your stationnary.. and suddenly you realize wow.. I am on the road.. but this is only on low Hz .. impacts are still a reminder that you are on high pressure tires .. but I cant live with it ..

10. maxxevv

maxxevv New Member

Chicken, very interesting results with the Mag frame. WOuld love to try one some day. Did you spec your geometry or did they supply with a 'standard' set ? I have a few Ti frames myself with another one on the line. I love them simply for their 'magic carpet feel'.

How does it compare with a well made Ti frame ?

thanks.

11. little_chicken

Std geometry was not good for me since I do Duathlons and was looking for a more agressive position than std.... not pure TT but somewhere in between. Litech had some racing frames available from another order and one just fit my specs. I believe they can't build upon spec but beware of the wait (probably 3-4 months, whatever they tell you .. that's my experience for one they had in stock)

Compare to TI : I can't tell you, I use to race on pure steel (Neuron and SL) and its a world of difference .. but from what I heard its even better (see Duathlon.com/reviews/paketa) then the best TI and CF..

12. maxxevv

maxxevv New Member

Thanks pal, will get in touch with the Litech fellas as I have no problems waiting, neither do I live in North America. ;)

Having 3 bikes to alternate around is more than enough for now... No doubt I'm still searching for that 'ultimate ride'... Hope my new frame coming in July would fulfill that .... :D

I would take the Litech as an 'experiment' instead .... :p

13. polywog

polywog New Member

Hi,

Glad that silly argument is over and we're getting down to what this thread should be about, guys.

I have a Litech mtn frame built up with XT & XTR, Mavic 517, CK hubs and an Indy fork. I had to cheap out here and there but the results are remarkable.

I think magnesium IS the ideal frame material. Further, I think there is a market for a $1500-$2000 bike made with this frame. I am curious if there is anyone here who couldn't go the custom route or for the Paketa ($3-4k range) but is intrigued enough to venture into magnesium?

This bike would weigh in at just over 25#s. Do you folks think there is a market?

14. lokstah

lokstah New Member

There's always a market for well-made bikes in that price range. If the frames live up to promise, I bet there's enough interest in the technology to stoke a demand in that price range.

15. meehs

meehs New Member

What I think we really need is for BaCardi to come around and give all of us the REAL skinny on Magnesium! :D

16. RC2

RC2 New Member

Holly cow. Just read all seven pages of this post (not recommended). It would appear that bacardi has left the bldg, good. Seems like there are a lot of pro's to Mg frames. I'm wondering if anyone has any length of experience with one and can comment on the durabilty/corrosion concern...

17. polywog

polywog New Member

Somebody above claimed 10,000 miles on a Paketa. Isn't that significant?

This isn't the end of the story. A lot of data will accumulate in the comming years as to whether mag lives up to it's promise.

I understand there is a factory being built in Taiwan that will begin turning out mag frames as early as spring '05. By then, mag will no longer be an "emerging" frame technology, but a burgeoning market segment that will displace a lot of steel and alum. What's more, I predict carbon will be relgated to the merely esoteric for the moneyed crowd because of the reletive expense of American lay-up labor. Note, this new factory is not turning out carbon fiber. The Taiwanese would not go the route of mag fab if carbon was viable for mass consumption.

There, I've said it. I've tasted shoe polish before, yes. Maybe I'll be proved wrong again.....

18. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Too pretty; won't happen. ;)

19. RC2

RC2 New Member

OK, 50 mi a week avg, so the frame lasts me 4 yrs. I guess that is significant (but might not be for some riders). Of course it's just one data point... Yep it will be interesting to watch this unfold.

20. little_chicken

I have 2000 km on my frame over the past 3 months and am still very happy ..