palestine by Joe Sacco rtk (OT)

Hi Ruth:

Just finished reading Palestine by Joe Sacco, that you recommended.
Great book. I also ordered Safe Area Gorazde. These are documentaries
about Joe Sacco's (a journalist) experiences in the occupied
territories and in Bosnia told in comic book format. Joe Sacco draws
and narrates the comics, and he does a wonderful job. For anyone
interested in politics and history, highly recommended. Thx,

Andres

Perhaps you mean graphic novel format.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi Ruth:
>
> Just finished reading Palestine by Joe Sacco, that you recommended.
> Great book. I also ordered Safe Area Gorazde. These are documentaries
> about Joe Sacco's (a journalist) experiences in the occupied
> territories and in Bosnia told in comic book format. Joe Sacco draws
> and narrates the comics, and he does a wonderful job. For anyone
> interested in politics and history, highly recommended. Thx,
>
> Andres

I was impressed. Another good one is Spiegelman's Maus, a biography of
his father. More for women, but full of insights for me about Iran, is
Persepolis by Satrapi. I think this new genre is surprisingly good, the
pictures just as valuable as the words. I also read/looked at
Spiegelman's In the Shadow of the Towers, but I was disappointed. He
was more interested in the presentation of his ideas than the ideas
themselves, so I think I'm supposed to admire it more than get really
into it. Spiegelman himself comes off reminding me very much of Woody
Allen. Same sort of self-conciously dainty pysche.

Back on topic: Haunts of the Black Masseur: The Swimmer As Hero, by
Charles Strawson. Colorful little bios and accounts of swimmers, famous
and not quite, from ancient times to Byron and Jack London, Kellerman
and Mishima, and even Mallory and other unlikely water lovers.

ruth kazez