palestine by Joe Sacco rtk (OT)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Hi Ruth:

    Just finished reading Palestine by Joe Sacco, that you recommended.
    Great book. I also ordered Safe Area Gorazde. These are documentaries
    about Joe Sacco's (a journalist) experiences in the occupied
    territories and in Bosnia told in comic book format. Joe Sacco draws
    and narrates the comics, and he does a wonderful job. For anyone
    interested in politics and history, highly recommended. Thx,

    Andres

    Tags:

  2. cardarch

    cardarch Guest

    Perhaps you mean graphic novel format.
    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi Ruth:
    >
    > Just finished reading Palestine by Joe Sacco, that you recommended.
    > Great book. I also ordered Safe Area Gorazde. These are documentaries
    > about Joe Sacco's (a journalist) experiences in the occupied
    > territories and in Bosnia told in comic book format. Joe Sacco draws
    > and narrates the comics, and he does a wonderful job. For anyone
    > interested in politics and history, highly recommended. Thx,
    >
    > Andres

  3. rtk

    rtk Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi Ruth:
    >
    > Just finished reading Palestine by Joe Sacco, that you recommended.
    > Great book. I also ordered Safe Area Gorazde. These are documentaries
    > about Joe Sacco's (a journalist) experiences in the occupied
    > territories and in Bosnia told in comic book format. Joe Sacco draws
    > and narrates the comics, and he does a wonderful job. For anyone
    > interested in politics and history, highly recommended. Thx,
    >
    > Andres

    I was impressed. Another good one is Spiegelman's Maus, a biography of
    his father. More for women, but full of insights for me about Iran, is
    Persepolis by Satrapi. I think this new genre is surprisingly good, the
    pictures just as valuable as the words. I also read/looked at
    Spiegelman's In the Shadow of the Towers, but I was disappointed. He
    was more interested in the presentation of his ideas than the ideas
    themselves, so I think I'm supposed to admire it more than get really
    into it. Spiegelman himself comes off reminding me very much of Woody
    Allen. Same sort of self-conciously dainty pysche.

    Back on topic: Haunts of the Black Masseur: The Swimmer As Hero, by
    Charles Strawson. Colorful little bios and accounts of swimmers, famous
    and not quite, from ancient times to Byron and Jack London, Kellerman
    and Mishima, and even Mallory and other unlikely water lovers.

    ruth kazez