Palmans rider at Michelin Classic

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tim Zlogar, Apr 10, 2003.

  1. Tim Zlogar

    Tim Zlogar Guest

    I know this is a similar thread to the Acqua e Sapone rider at Somerville. But last October at the
    Michelin Classic in Greenville, here in South Carolina there was a Palmans rider in full kit
    riding the pro 1,2 race. I don't doubt that he really is a pro from the team but I was wondering
    if anyone could tell me who he is and what he was doing here for that race. South Carolina is a
    long way from Belgium.

    Thanks, Tim

    Tags:

  2. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    Tim Zlogar wrote in message ...
    >I know this is a similar thread to the Acqua e Sapone rider at Somerville. But last October at the
    >Michelin Classic in Greenville, here in South Carolina there was a Palmans rider in full kit
    >riding the pro 1,2 race. I don't doubt that he really is a pro from the team but I was wondering
    >if anyone could tell me who he is and what he was doing here for that race. South Carolina is a
    >long way from Belgium.
    >
    >Thanks, Tim

    It was Steve Vermaut and he really did ride for Palmans... I think he's retired now...

    Wade

  3. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Tim Zlogar wrote in message ...
    > >I know this is a similar thread to the Acqua e Sapone rider at Somerville. But last October at
    > >the Michelin Classic in Greenville, here in South Carolina there was a Palmans rider in full kit
    > >riding the pro 1,2 race. I don't doubt that he really is a pro from the team but I was wondering
    > >if anyone could tell me who he is and what he was doing here for that race. South Carolina is a
    > >long way from Belgium.
    > >
    > >Thanks, Tim
    >

    > It was Steve Vermaut and he really did ride for Palmans... I think he's retired now...

    That could well have been one of his last races as a pro.

    cheers, Jeff

  4. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote in message <[email protected]>...

    >"Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >> Tim Zlogar wrote in message ...
    >> >I know this is a similar thread to the Acqua e Sapone rider at Somerville. But last October at
    >> >the Michelin Classic in Greenville, here in South Carolina there was a Palmans rider in full kit
    >> >riding the pro 1,2 race. I don't doubt that he really is a pro from the team but I was wondering
    >> >if anyone could tell me who he is and what he was doing here for that race. South Carolina is a
    >> >long way from Belgium.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks, Tim
    >>

    >> It was Steve Vermaut and he really did ride for Palmans... I think he's retired now...
    >>
    >That could well have been one of his last races as a pro.
    >
    >cheers, Jeff

    Just realized a possible connection. Vermaut rode for Postal at one time. Probably friends with
    Hincapie. Michelin Classic is a Hincapie Sports production.

    Wade

  5. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    [email protected] (Tim Zlogar) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I know this is a similar thread to the Acqua e Sapone rider at Somerville. But last October at the
    > Michelin Classic in Greenville, here in South Carolina there was a Palmans rider in full kit
    > riding the pro 1,2 race. I don't doubt that he really is a pro from the team but I was wondering
    > if anyone could tell me who he is and what he was doing here for that race. South Carolina is a
    > long way from Belgium.
    >
    > Thanks, Tim

    Years ago during the Wheat Thins series, there were a couple of young La Vie Claire riders doing the
    circuit. Sort of a active vacation....

  6. "Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jeff Jones wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >"Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > >> It was Steve Vermaut and he really did ride for Palmans... I think he's retired now...
    > >>
    > >That could well have been one of his last races as a pro.
    > >
    > >cheers, Jeff
    > >

    > Just realized a possible connection. Vermaut rode for Postal at one time. Probably friends with
    > Hincapie. Michelin Classic is a Hincapie Sports production.
    >
    > Wade

    Another one was a couple of years ago (September 2001) right after the whole 9/11 thing, and George
    Hincapie and Ekimov were in town to ride the large scale crit the week before the first SFGP (I
    think it was supposed to be in Dallas??), and they both showed up for the Dividing Waters Omnium
    weekend in Greenville, because they had been lurking around Greenville training, and drinking. They
    showed up for the race hungover from the strip bar the night before, and Ekimov pulled back the
    break (7 minutes over 10 miles) to bring the group back together before the finish. I'm pretty sure
    he could have ridden off the front and won solo, but instead he sat up and let the local hacks
    battle it out. It was pretty cool. Although when we first saw Ekimov we were wondering who the
    toolbag with the Postal jersey and the mullet was.

    Tom

  7. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just realized a possible connection. Vermaut rode for Postal at one time.

    He went to the US for heart investigations last year. He found more favorable voices there. The
    doctors here advised him to quit, and some scary experiences with beat changes convinced him.

  8. Tim Zlogar

    Tim Zlogar Guest

    Is Vermaut the one that was forced to retire due to some kind of abnormal heart rhythm?

  9. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "Tim Zlogar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is Vermaut the one that was forced to retire due to some kind of abnormal heart rhythm?

    yes. he could race if an emergency unit rides immediately behind him.

    Mattan too initially , but further diagnoses gave him enough guarantees.