Palmares Derivation

Otb

Guest
Does anyone know the derivation of this word? I understand
that is essentially means one's cycling resume but what
language is it, etc?

Just curious

[email protected] (OTB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone know the derivation of this word? I understand
> that is essentially means one's cycling resume but what
> language is it, etc?
>
> Just curious

Palmarès: noun, french; honors, awards, recognition.
Probably originally derived from latin, tho I'm no
latin scholar.

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (OTB) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does anyone know the derivation of this word? I
> > understand that is essentially means one's cycling
> > resume but what language is it, etc?
> >
> > Just curious
>
> Palmarès: noun, french; honors, awards, recognition.
> Probably originally derived from latin,

Yes, it is. It's from "palmaris", "he who merits a palm".

Benjo Maso

benjo maso wrote:
> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] (OTB) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Does anyone know the derivation of this word? I
>>> understand that is essentially means one's cycling
>>> resume but what language is it, etc?
>>>
>>> Just curious
>>
>> Palmarès: noun, french; honors, awards, recognition.
>> Probably originally derived from latin,
>
> Yes, it is. It's from "palmaris", "he who merits a palm".

What's the Latin for "he who merits a back of the hand?"

On 05/03/2004 11:27 PM, in article
[email protected], "Robert Chung" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> benjo maso wrote:
>> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> [email protected] (OTB) wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...

>>> Palmarès: noun, french; honors, awards, recognition.
>>> Probably originally derived from latin,
>>
>> Yes, it is. It's from "palmaris", "he who merits a palm".
>
> What's the Latin for "he who merits a back of the hand?"

There's so many .... Like "Kunichus" and "Trdinas"

--
Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas

On Tue, 04 May 2004 11:16:20 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
>> What's the Latin for "he who merits a back of the hand?"
>
> "Trdinas"

That's Greek, dumbass.

>>>Yes, it is. It's from "palmaris", "he who merits a palm".
>>
>>What's the Latin for "he who merits a back of the hand?"
>
> There's so many .... Like "Kunichus" and "Trdinas"

Almost got a spit take on that one.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> benjo maso wrote:
> > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> [email protected] (OTB) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]
> > om>...

> >> Palmarès: noun, french; honors, awards, recognition.
> >> Probably originally derived from latin,
> >
> > Yes, it is. It's from "palmaris", "he who merits a
> > palm".
>
> What's the Latin for "he who merits a back of the hand?"

A word that sounds remarkably like "Chung".

> On Tue, 04 May 2004 11:16:20 GMT, Steven L.
> Sheffield wrote:
> >> What's the Latin for "he who merits a back of the
> >> hand?"
> >
> > "Trdinas"
>
> That's Greek, dumbass.

As much as I would hate to claim him, I understand that
Trdina, like half of my family, are Croatian.

> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Trdinas"
> >
> > That's Greek, dumbass.
>
> As much as I would hate to claim him, I understand that
> Trdina, like half
of
> my family, are Croatian.

If you're lucky, he might be a first cousin of yours.

> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:-
> [email protected]...
> > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > That's Greek, dumbass.
> >
> > As much as I would hate to claim him, I understand that
> > Trdina, like
half
> of
> > my family, are Croatian.
>
> If you're lucky, he might be a first cousin of yours.

I'd never be first cousin to a monkey.

On 05/05/2004 06:56 AM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Kunich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news-
>> :[email protected]...
>>> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> As much as I would hate to claim him, I understand that
>>> Trdina, like
> half
>> of
>>> my family, are Croatian.
>>
>> If you're lucky, he might be a first cousin of yours.
>
> I'd never be first cousin to a monkey.

Nope ... Just one's girlfriend.