Panaracer Fire XC Pro's

Paul

Guest
Hi,

I've got a Specialized Epic with Tioga DH 2.1's on it at
the mo, I'm looking for something with a bit more of a good
XC reputation and I see the Panaracers Fire XC's are
heavily recommended. Could any help me choose between the
2.1's and 1.8's ??

I ride mostly Singletracks that aren't shodden with 10ft
deep mud though do occasionaly come accross it. I feel like
I should be buying the 1.8's but do you lose any grip
compared to the 2.1's on climbs or anythign else notable?

Help appreciated!

Regards

Paul.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:44:56 +0100, paul wrote:

> I've got a Specialized Epic with Tioga DH 2.1's on it at
> the mo, I'm looking for something with a bit more of a
> good XC reputation and I see the Panaracers Fire XC's are
> heavily recommended. Could any help me choose between the
> 2.1's and 1.8's ??

I've not tried the Panaracers, but I do use Tioga Factory SL
1.8s, and TBH, I cant tell much difference in grip between
them and the 2.1 tyres I had fitted before(which had really
lumpy tread),but they are definitely easier to turn. I think
a lot of it is down to riding style, if you are a 'light'
rider who doesnt bash into roots/stones etc, then the
thinner tyres are ok, if you are heavy on the tyres, then a
bigger tyre may be better to stop punctures a little more.
My cross bike has tubulars that are quite thin, with very
little tread, but I never seem to lose grip with them - only
when pedaling uphill on loose/wet ground does the back wheel
start losing grip,and this is usually corrected by putting a
bit more weight to the rear. Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North
Midlands.

"paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Specialized Epic with Tioga DH 2.1's on it at
> the mo, I'm
looking
> for something with a bit more of a good XC reputation and
> I see the Panaracers Fire XC's are heavily recommended.
> Could any help me choose between the 2.1's and 1.8's ??

I are mostly riding 2.1 Fire XC's and do loike 'em. My mate,
who is lighter at 10 1/2 Imperial Doings, has 1.8 and 2.1
XC's. Mostly he are riding the 2.1's in the Peak District
but do put the 1.8's on occasionally for local bridleways
but I don't think he really likes 'em, just uses 'em to
justify the folly of the purchase.

Pete

"paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Specialized Epic with Tioga DH 2.1's on it at
> the mo, I'm
looking
> for something with a bit more of a good XC reputation and
> I see the Panaracers Fire XC's are heavily recommended.
> Could any help me choose between the 2.1's and 1.8's ??
>
> I ride mostly Singletracks that aren't shodden with 10ft
> deep mud though
do
> occasionaly come accross it. I feel like I should be
> buying the 1.8's but
do
> you lose any grip compared to the 2.1's on climbs or
> anythign else
notable?

> Help appreciated!
>
> Regards
>
> Paul.

Get the 2.1's, much better "all round" capability than the
1.8's (which have a different, less 'agressive' tread).

paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Specialized Epic with Tioga DH 2.1's on it at
> the mo, I'm looking for something with a bit more of a
> good XC reputation and I see the Panaracers Fire XC's are
> heavily recommended. Could any help me choose between the
> 2.1's and 1.8's ??
>
> I ride mostly Singletracks that aren't shodden with 10ft
> deep mud though do occasionaly come accross it. I feel
> like I should be buying the 1.8's but do you lose any grip
> compared to the 2.1's on climbs or anythign else notable?

Velociraptors model? in the winter and lovely Panaracer Fire
XC 1.8 for the rest of the year, and I love them.

But they come from two sources ? and on the cheaper ones
riders have complained that the knobbly bits get ripped
off. Sorry I cant give you details but a google of the
NG's may help.

"taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> But they come from two sources ? and on the cheaper
> ones riders have complained that the knobbly bits get
> ripped off.

Some are sourced from Japan and have a stencilled effect
marking, supposed to give them a prototype appearance.
Others are sourced from Taiwan and have a more normal label.
It's been alleged that the Taiwanese ones have a lower TPI
carcase so don't ride so well, I've used both types in 2.1
and can't notice a difference and the knobs certainly
haven't broken off even though now well worn down by use.
Easy to ID them, one sort has Made In Japan embossed on the
sidewall and the other has Made In Taiwan embossed on the
sidewall, so unsubtle even I noticed :)

Pete