Panaracer : Hutchinson Tires



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jj

Guest
Picking out a new set of 700x32 tires. I've been to a shop to check out the Hutchinson Globetrotters
and they look good. SO far in my area I haven't been able to find a set of Panarcer Pasela. I've
only found the Pasela online. Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something, sight unseen.

One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer
Pasela are $23.

Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?

JJ
 
J

Jkpoulos7

Guest
>Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something, sight unseen.
>

It's a bike tire not for a Formula 1 car!!!!

>One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer
>Pasela are $23.
>
>Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?
>

Go for the Panaracer . I bought the 700x23 Category Elites from nashbar for $10 each (sight unseen)
and found them to be excellent training/ everyday tires. No flats so far good grip etc. For racing
it may be better to go with high price tires but for most of us cheaper tires are better.
 
S

Scott

Guest
JJ wrote:
> Picking out a new set of 700x32 tires. I've been to a shop to check out the Hutchinson
> Globetrotters and they look good. SO far in my area I haven't been able to find a set of Panarcer
> Pasela. I've only found the Pasela online. Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something,
> sight unseen.
>
> One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer Pasela
> are $23.
>
> Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?
>

I am using the Panaracer Paselas 700 x 32. They are really a 700 x 28. I wish I had ordered the 700
x 35 ( 34 mm wide according to http://www.panaracer.com/e05lineup/e05linupframe.html ). I like fat
tires for training. No need to suffer pointlessly :)
 
T

Tony Doman

Guest
JJ,

You might try looking on the touring groups/lists. I know that on the I-Bob list, for example,
there's a lot of discussion about the size you're interested in. I've seen the Pasela mentioned
often enough in recent months. This seems to be a popular tyre with people who want to be
comfortable, rather than look racy.

BTW, I have used Hutchinsons extensively for the past couple of years, though not in the size and
type you are interested in. So, though not particularly relevantly, FWIW I have used the Excel as a
general/training/high mileage tyre in 23C size and found it to be hard-wearing, if a little
hard-riding initially (especially the kevlar version). This is at recommended pressure of 90 psi.
They have been good at resisting what I would have thought would be certain snakebite (pinch flat)
punctures, but seem to be less proof against thorns. But then again, I don't think there is much
that will withstand a well directed thorn.

I am using Hutchinson Success for road race/sport riding this year and am very pleased with the
overall comfort. I rode with a friend who uses National products (not sure what type) and he is
happy with them as regards ride and wear.

From my side, then, a qualified thumbs up for Hutchinson. I use their tubes, too because I prefer
seamless for puncture repairs.

On an even less related matter, on my racing bike, which has short chainstays, when I use a new
Excel the rear tyre is just about rubbing up against the seat tube. The Success leaves a fraction
more clearance. But the 700 x 23 Conti GP3000s I bought are actually TOO BIG. They need deflating
before they can be mounted -- and actually can't be used inflated to full pressure. Go figure.
 
J

Jj

Guest
[email protected] (Tony Doman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> JJ,
>
> You might try looking on the touring groups/lists. I know that on the I-Bob list, for example,
> there's a lot of discussion about the size you're interested in. I've seen the Pasela mentioned
> often enough in recent months. This seems to be a popular tyre with people who want to be
> comfortable, rather than look racy.
>
> BTW, I have used Hutchinsons extensively for the past couple of years, though not in the size and
> type you are interested in. So, though not particularly relevantly, FWIW I have used the Excel as
> a general/training/high mileage tyre in 23C size and found it to be hard-wearing, if a little
> hard-riding initially (especially the kevlar version). This is at recommended pressure of 90 psi.
> They have been good at resisting what I would have thought would be certain snakebite (pinch flat)
> punctures, but seem to be less proof against thorns. But then again, I don't think there is much
> that will withstand a well directed thorn.
>
OooooooooK here is an off topic question of sorts. How do I find the I-Bob list?
> I am using Hutchinson Success for road race/sport riding this year and am very pleased with the
> overall comfort. I rode with a friend who uses National products (not sure what type) and he is
> happy with them as regards ride and wear.
>
> From my side, then, a qualified thumbs up for Hutchinson. I use their tubes, too because I prefer
> seamless for puncture repairs.
>
> On an even less related matter, on my racing bike, which has short chainstays, when I use a new
> Excel the rear tyre is just about rubbing up against the seat tube. The Success leaves a fraction
> more clearance. But the 700 x 23 Conti GP3000s I bought are actually TOO BIG. They need deflating
> before they can be mounted -- and actually can't be used inflated to full pressure. Go figure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.