Panaracer : Hutchinson Tires

Jj

Guest
Picking out a new set of 700x32 tires. I've been to a shop to check out the Hutchinson Globetrotters
and they look good. SO far in my area I haven't been able to find a set of Panarcer Pasela. I've
only found the Pasela online. Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something, sight unseen.

One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer
Pasela are $23.

Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?

JJ

>Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something, sight unseen.

It's a bike tire not for a Formula 1 car!!!!

>One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer
>Pasela are $23.
>
>Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?

Go for the Panaracer . I bought the 700x23 Category Elites from nashbar for $10 each (sight unseen)
and found them to be excellent training/ everyday tires. No flats so far good grip etc. For racing
it may be better to go with high price tires but for most of us cheaper tires are better.

JJ wrote:
> Picking out a new set of 700x32 tires. I've been to a shop to check out the Hutchinson
> Globetrotters and they look good. SO far in my area I haven't been able to find a set of Panarcer
> Pasela. I've only found the Pasela online. Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something,
> sight unseen.
>
> One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer Pasela
> are $23.
>
> Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?

I am using the Panaracer Paselas 700 x 32. They are really a 700 x 28. I wish I had ordered the 700
x 35 ( 34 mm wide according to http://www.panaracer.com/e05lineup/e05linupframe.html ). I like fat
tires for training. No need to suffer pointlessly :)

JJ,

You might try looking on the touring groups/lists. I know that on the I-Bob list, for example,
there's a lot of discussion about the size you're interested in. I've seen the Pasela mentioned
often enough in recent months. This seems to be a popular tyre with people who want to be
comfortable, rather than look racy.

BTW, I have used Hutchinsons extensively for the past couple of years, though not in the size and
type you are interested in. So, though not particularly relevantly, FWIW I have used the Excel as a
general/training/high mileage tyre in 23C size and found it to be hard-wearing, if a little
hard-riding initially (especially the kevlar version). This is at recommended pressure of 90 psi.
They have been good at resisting what I would have thought would be certain snakebite (pinch flat)
punctures, but seem to be less proof against thorns. But then again, I don't think there is much
that will withstand a well directed thorn.

I am using Hutchinson Success for road race/sport riding this year and am very pleased with the
overall comfort. I rode with a friend who uses National products (not sure what type) and he is
happy with them as regards ride and wear.

From my side, then, a qualified thumbs up for Hutchinson. I use their tubes, too because I prefer
seamless for puncture repairs.

On an even less related matter, on my racing bike, which has short chainstays, when I use a new
Excel the rear tyre is just about rubbing up against the seat tube. The Success leaves a fraction
more clearance. But the 700 x 23 Conti GP3000s I bought are actually TOO BIG. They need deflating
before they can be mounted -- and actually can't be used inflated to full pressure. Go figure.

[email protected] (Tony Doman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> JJ,
>
> You might try looking on the touring groups/lists. I know that on the I-Bob list, for example,
> there's a lot of discussion about the size you're interested in. I've seen the Pasela mentioned
> often enough in recent months. This seems to be a popular tyre with people who want to be
> comfortable, rather than look racy.
>
> BTW, I have used Hutchinsons extensively for the past couple of years, though not in the size and
> type you are interested in. So, though not particularly relevantly, FWIW I have used the Excel as
> a general/training/high mileage tyre in 23C size and found it to be hard-wearing, if a little
> hard-riding initially (especially the kevlar version). This is at recommended pressure of 90 psi.
> They have been good at resisting what I would have thought would be certain snakebite (pinch flat)
> punctures, but seem to be less proof against thorns. But then again, I don't think there is much
> that will withstand a well directed thorn.

OooooooooK here is an off topic question of sorts. How do I find the I-Bob list?