Panaracer Pasela Pressure?

PatC

Guest
I bought a pair of 28c Panaracer Pasela TG's (700c) for a bike tour next
week. I installed them tonight, and inflated them to the PSI stamped on
the tire, which was 105psi.

With the first one, I had trouble keeping it from popping off the rim while
inflating it. Then, I finally got them both installed, and I rode down the
road for a quick test, and BOOM! The tire blew off the rim, and all my
neighbors peeked out, thinking it was a gunshot! (it's always fun to keep
my neighbors wondering what I'm up to!)

Maybe my pump gauge isn't accurate? But, it works fine pumping my sport
bike with 23c Michelins, up to 110psi with no problems. So, I think that
rules the pump out.

I'm running crappy Velocity 36-spoke tires from Performance. I don't know
if that has anything to do with it or not.

Looks like the tube was the only loss. The tire looks like it's OK. So,
what pressure should I run these tires at? REI's website says 90psi.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! I need resolution and a few test rides
before this weekend!

PatC wrote:
> I bought a pair of 28c Panaracer Pasela TG's (700c) for a bike tour next
> week. I installed them tonight, and inflated them to the PSI stamped on
> the tire, which was 105psi.
>
> With the first one, I had trouble keeping it from popping off the rim while
> inflating it. Then, I finally got them both installed, and I rode down the
> road for a quick test, and BOOM! The tire blew off the rim, and all my
> neighbors peeked out, thinking it was a gunshot! (it's always fun to keep
> my neighbors wondering what I'm up to!)
>
> Maybe my pump gauge isn't accurate? But, it works fine pumping my sport
> bike with 23c Michelins, up to 110psi with no problems. So, I think that
> rules the pump out.
>
> I'm running crappy Velocity 36-spoke tires from Performance. I don't know
> if that has anything to do with it or not.
>
> Looks like the tube was the only loss. The tire looks like it's OK. So,
> what pressure should I run these tires at? REI's website says 90psi.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback! I need resolution and a few test rides
> before this weekend!

you don't say what rims you have [unless you mean "velocity 36 spoke
tires"]. are they proper hook bead? i've experienced failures like
this on older style rims where the hook is not as pronounced as modern
rims. if the rims are ok, try a wire beaded 28mm tire like one of the
continentals.

PatC wrote:
> I bought a pair of 28c Panaracer Pasela TG's (700c) for a bike tour next
> week. I installed them tonight, and inflated them to the PSI stamped on
> the tire, which was 105psi.
>
> With the first one, I had trouble keeping it from popping off the rim while
> inflating it. Then, I finally got them both installed, and I rode down the
> road for a quick test, and BOOM! The tire blew off the rim, and all my
> neighbors peeked out, thinking it was a gunshot! (it's always fun to keep
> my neighbors wondering what I'm up to!)

Did you buy the tires via mail-order? Were they folded up like a
pretzel before you installed them?
ie contorted to 1/4 their normal diameter.

I ask because I have experienced this problem with folded up wire
beaded tires. Call me paranoid, but my newly arrived at standard
operating procedure with a new tire is to only inflate it to 40 psi
initially, and to leave it that way, at least for a few hours, before
inflating to "full" pressure. My unfounded belief (and it is just
that, a belief) is that clincher tires need to be on the rim with a
little bit of pressure for a while to assume their correct shape,
especially if they have been folded up.

Later,
Mark Muller

Inflate to low pressure, perhaps 20-40psi, then bounce them around a
bit on a hard surface allowing the beads to seat properly in the rim.
Then pump up all the way.

105psi for a 28mm tire seems really high, you might give 90 a shot,
it's plenty hard, but a bit more comfy. The number on the sidewall is
the *maximum* pressure, not the *best* ;)

maxo wrote:
> Inflate to low pressure, perhaps 20-40psi, then bounce them around a
> bit on a hard surface allowing the beads to seat properly in the rim.
> Then pump up all the way.
>
> 105psi for a 28mm tire seems really high, you might give 90 a shot,
> it's plenty hard, but a bit more comfy. The number on the sidewall is
> the *maximum* pressure, not the *best* ;)

If the tires are properly seated in the rim and the rim is narrow
enough, the tires shouldn't blow up. Something was not right, but it
wasn'the pressure.

Andres

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> PatC wrote:
>> I bought a pair of 28c Panaracer Pasela TG's (700c) for a bike tour
>> next week. I installed them tonight, and inflated them to the PSI
>> stamped on the tire, which was 105psi.

> you don't say what rims you have [unless you mean "velocity 36 spoke
> tires"]. are they proper hook bead? i've experienced failures like
> this on older style rims where the hook is not as pronounced as modern
> rims. if the rims are ok, try a wire beaded 28mm tire like one of the
> continentals.

They're actually "Velocity Glider Touring Wheelset" from Nashbar. I went
to hunt a link, and it appears they don't list them any more. Hmmm...
From other sources, it looks like they're 26.5mm wide, single wall. It was
a way to keep the bike inside budget. I don't know if they have a decent
"hook" or not!

I may try them at 90psi. From other posters, they are the folding version,
and may need to take shape?

"maxo" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1126587155.472300.301490
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Inflate to low pressure, perhaps 20-40psi, then bounce them around a
> bit on a hard surface allowing the beads to seat properly in the rim.
> Then pump up all the way.
>
> 105psi for a 28mm tire seems really high, you might give 90 a shot,
> it's plenty hard, but a bit more comfy. The number on the sidewall is
> the *maximum* pressure, not the *best* ;)

I'll give the 90psi a shot. I sort of suspected this when I was pumping
them up. These are pretty crappy rims too.

[email protected] wrote in news:1126613119.642294.27030
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> maxo wrote:
>> Inflate to low pressure, perhaps 20-40psi, then bounce them around a
>> bit on a hard surface allowing the beads to seat properly in the rim.
>> Then pump up all the way.
>>
>> 105psi for a 28mm tire seems really high, you might give 90 a shot,
>> it's plenty hard, but a bit more comfy. The number on the sidewall is
>> the *maximum* pressure, not the *best* ;)

> If the tires are properly seated in the rim and the rim is narrow
> enough, the tires shouldn't blow up. Something was not right, but it
> wasn'the pressure.
>
> Andres

What is "narrow enough"? These are pretty wide rims. From what I can
find, they're 26.5mm wide. They do look wide.

On 12 Sep 2005 20:48:31 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Did you buy the tires via mail-order? Were they folded up like a
>pretzel before you installed them?
>ie contorted to 1/4 their normal diameter.

Don't you mean 1/3? Pretzeling only works with odd numbers, 1/1 (aka
normal), 1/3, 1/5 (which is already too small to do to most 622 tyres).

Jasper

PatC wrote:

> What is "narrow enough"? These are pretty wide rims. From what I can find, they're 26.5mm wide. They do look wide.

Is that the inside width between the rim flanges? 26.5mm would be way
too wide for 28mm tires. See:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

It's doubtful that a modern rim would not have hooks to engage the tire
bead, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ho-z.html#hook

I suspect that the tire bead wasn't seated properly and/or the rim is
too wide for the tire you're using.

Have you used these rims with other tires without a problem?

Art Harris

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> PatC wrote:
>
>> What is "narrow enough"? These are pretty wide rims. From what I
>> can find, they're 26.5mm wide. They do look wide.

> Is that the inside width between the rim flanges? 26.5mm would be way
> too wide for 28mm tires. See:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
>
> It's doubtful that a modern rim would not have hooks to engage the
> tire bead, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ho-z.html#hook
>
> I suspect that the tire bead wasn't seated properly and/or the rim is
> too wide for the tire you're using.
>
> Have you used these rims with other tires without a problem?
>
> Art Harris

I have used Harris Cyclery's 30c Ritchey Tom Slicks without a problem.
They have about 600 miles on them. I'll have to measure the inside width
of the rim and get back on that.

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2005 20:48:31 -0700, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Did you buy the tires via mail-order? Were they folded up like a
>>pretzel before you installed them?
>>ie contorted to 1/4 their normal diameter.

> Don't you mean 1/3? Pretzeling only works with odd numbers, 1/1 (aka
> normal), 1/3, 1/5 (which is already too small to do to most 622 tyres).

If you mean that pretzeling is a *good idea* only with odd numbers, then
yes. But mail order places have been known to do it wrong and kink the
wire bead. Bend out the kinks by hand as best you can before installing
the tire; that is usually enough to keep my mail-order wire bead tires
on the rim (though your rims may vary).

See: http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/tirefolding/ for an illustrated
public service announcement about tire folding.

Mark

PatC <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I bought a pair of 28c Panaracer Pasela TG's (700c) for a bike tour
> next week. I installed them tonight, and inflated them to the PSI
> stamped on the tire, which was 105psi.
>
> With the first one, I had trouble keeping it from popping off the rim
> while inflating it. Then, I finally got them both installed, and I
> rode down the road for a quick test, and BOOM! The tire blew off the
> rim, and all my neighbors peeked out, thinking it was a gunshot!
> (it's always fun to keep my neighbors wondering what I'm up to!)
>
> Maybe my pump gauge isn't accurate? But, it works fine pumping my
> sport bike with 23c Michelins, up to 110psi with no problems. So, I
> think that rules the pump out.
>
> I'm running crappy Velocity 36-spoke tires from Performance. I don't
> know if that has anything to do with it or not.
>
> Looks like the tube was the only loss. The tire looks like it's OK.
> So, what pressure should I run these tires at? REI's website says
> 90psi.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback! I need resolution and a few test
> rides before this weekend!

I'm running the same tire and had 2 tubes blow while installing them on
Torelli Master rims. I thought it was from 20mm tubes at first, but now
I think the bead wasn't seated correctly. Like someone else suggested,
take it up to about 30 psi and inspect. I'm now actually using 35 mm
tubes, but i don't know if it was the wider tube or my extra care that
got it to stay on the third try.

And the wheel required truing after the second blowout, without ever
having been between the dropouts.

FWIW, I run them anywhere between 80-100, depending on conditions. Once
you get them on, they ride really nicely.

Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> PatC <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> I bought a pair of 28c Panaracer Pasela TG's (700c) for a bike tour
>> next week. I installed them tonight, and inflated them to the PSI

> I'm running the same tire and had 2 tubes blow while installing them on
> Torelli Master rims. I thought it was from 20mm tubes at first, but now
> I think the bead wasn't seated correctly. Like someone else suggested,
> take it up to about 30 psi and inspect. I'm now actually using 35 mm
> tubes, but i don't know if it was the wider tube or my extra care that
> got it to stay on the third try.
>
> And the wheel required truing after the second blowout, without ever
> having been between the dropouts.
>
> FWIW, I run them anywhere between 80-100, depending on conditions. Once
> you get them on, they ride really nicely.

Thanks for the info. I finally did everything everyone recommended that
didn't involve any more spend. I replaced the tube, pumped them to about
35psi, and let them sit out in the sun for an hour or so and warm up a
little. Brought them in and let them sit overnight.

Finally, I pumped them both to 90psi. Cautiously, I rode them up and
down my dead end road successfully, then went out for a 20 mile ride.
They did fine. I ran them over railroad tracks, manhole covers, small
potholes and over curbs. No pinch flats, no blowouts, everything seems
fine (knock on wood!)

They do feel differently than the Tom Slick 32c's. They handle a little
better, and the ride is somewhat more harsh. But, that's all to be
expected. Next week, I'll put another 350 miles on them (with the Tom's
in the SAG truck as backup!) We'll see how it goes!