Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo Any Good?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shawn, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Hi,

    Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?

    Shawn

    Tags:

  2. "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?
    >
    > Shawn

    Yes. At least they were, especially with the 2.2" front dart. Just don't try to turn toooo quickly.

    Steve E.

  3. Lephturn

    Lephturn Guest

    They are cheap, and worked well for me. I find I wore the smoke down quite a bit, so I'll be
    slapping a new one on this week. The old one would be fine for regular dirt... but it's mud time and
    I need the deep lugs. :)

    Lephturn "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?
    > >
    > > Shawn
    > >

    > Yes. At least they were, especially with the 2.2" front dart. Just don't
    try
    > to turn toooo quickly.
    >
    > Steve E.

  4. "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?

    Sorry, but I am too busy being hard core to answer this.

    CC

  5. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?
    >
    > Shawn

    IMO, they work very nicely in muddy conditions but are slow on harder surfaces. And they wear out
    really quick on tarmac as the rubber seems very soft.

    Andy Chequer

  6. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    >> Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?

    >IMO, they work very nicely in muddy conditions but are slow on harder surfaces. And they wear out
    >really quick on tarmac as the rubber seems very soft.

    Bad pinch flats with the Smoke, IME.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  7. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >> Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?
    >
    > >IMO, they work very nicely in muddy conditions but are slow on harder surfaces. And they wear out
    > >really quick on tarmac as the rubber seems
    very
    > >soft.
    >
    > Bad pinch flats with the Smoke, IME.

    Interesting. Not found that. Though I agree the sidewalls are rather flimsy. Were you using black
    or skinwall?

    Andy Chequer

  8. "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are the Panaracer Smoke & Dart Combo any good?

    I have not tried a lot of different tires, but the smoke and dart have excellent traction in sand
    (compared to some old tires I had). I have also found they are leaques above my stock bontragers in
    all conditions.

    I would highly recommend them and even buy them again. Is there anything better? Don't know.

    ...Michael...

  9. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:33:21 +0100, "Andy Chequer"
    <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> blathered:

    >> Bad pinch flats with the Smoke, IME.
    >
    >Interesting. Not found that. Though I agree the sidewalls are rather flimsy. Were you using black
    >or skinwall?

    Skinwall - got a couple for a fiver a pop last year, but took them off because they weren't cutting
    it. Running Fire XC 2.1s now, only one pinch flat in the last 12 months.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:33:21 +0100, "Andy Chequer"
    > <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> blathered:

    > >> Bad pinch flats with the Smoke, IME.
    > >
    > >Interesting. Not found that. Though I agree the sidewalls are rather
    flimsy.
    > >Were you using black or skinwall?
    >
    > Skinwall - got a couple for a fiver a pop last year, but took them off because they weren't
    > cutting it. Running Fire XC 2.1s now, only one pinch flat in the last 12 months.
    >
    > Pete

    What's a pinch flat?

    Shaun aRe - Maxxis Mobster 2.7 fr, Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6 rr ',;~}~

  11. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:08:53 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >What's a pinch flat?
    >

    >Shaun aRe - Maxxis Mobster 2.7 fr, Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6 rr ',;~}~

    Yikes, them's some big shoes! I just swapped my 2.1" Nokian studdeds out for last summer's pair of
    1.95's, and I have to say - the ride is now a hell of a lot quieter on pavement! Unfortunately I can
    hear how much my drivetrain needs to be cleaned. Squeak squeak squeak squeak...

    I'm almost contemplating buying a new inexpensive wheelset so I can have a pair of nice big thick
    tires for mud riding (2.5's?) and a pair of skinnies (1.25? 1.5"?) ready to go for whichever my mood
    dictates. Anyone else do this? Any recommendations on the skinny tires? Ritchey Tom Slick or
    Continental Grand Prix maybe?

    Oh yeah, which brings up another question - how well do most MTB rims deal with these high pressure
    skinny tires?

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:08:53 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >
    > >What's a pinch flat?
    > >

    > >Shaun aRe - Maxxis Mobster 2.7 fr, Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6 rr ',;~}~
    >
    > Yikes, them's some big shoes! I just swapped my 2.1" Nokian studdeds out for last summer's pair of
    > 1.95's, and I have to say - the ride is now a hell of a lot quieter on pavement! Unfortunately I
    > can hear how much my drivetrain needs to be cleaned. Squeak squeak squeak squeak...

    Heh, yeah, but if I could fit 'em on, I'd be going with 2 x Gazzaloddi
    3.00's ',;~}~

    I love 'em off road, but what a feaking drag (literally) on it! I have to whack the pressure up to
    60 psi in each just so my legs don't explode on my commutes. Gotta get me a lightweight, skinny
    tyred beater soon........

    Shaun aRe - But when I drop 'em to sub 20 psi (been as low as 14 front and 12 rear!) off road,
    whooooo, such smoothness, cush and grip!

  13. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    > Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:08:53 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> scribbled:
    > >
    > > >What's a pinch flat?
    > > >

    > > >Shaun aRe - Maxxis Mobster 2.7 fr, Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6 rr ',;~}~
    > >
    > > Yikes, them's some big shoes! I just swapped my 2.1" Nokian studdeds out for last summer's pair
    > > of 1.95's, and I have to say - the ride is now a hell of a lot quieter on pavement!
    > > Unfortunately I can hear how much my drivetrain needs to be cleaned. Squeak squeak squeak
    > > squeak...
    >
    > Heh, yeah, but if I could fit 'em on, I'd be going with 2 x Gazzaloddi
    > 3.00's ',;~}~
    >
    > I love 'em off road, but what a feaking drag (literally) on it! I have to whack the pressure up to
    > 60 psi in each just so my legs don't explode on
    my
    > commutes. Gotta get me a lightweight, skinny tyred beater soon........
    >

    > Shaun aRe - But when I drop 'em to sub 20 psi (been as low as 14 front and 12 rear!) off road,
    > whooooo, such smoothness, cush and grip!

    I'm running the 2.7 Mobster on the front and I love it as well. It's heavy as shit, but I don't
    care. I haven't flatted in over 6 months, but now that I said that it'll be flat when I go home
    to ride it.

    Alex

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    AlexN <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:08:53 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    > > > Yikes, them's some big shoes! I just swapped my 2.1" Nokian studdeds out for last summer's
    > > > pair of 1.95's, and I have to say - the ride is now a hell of a lot quieter on pavement!
    > > > Unfortunately I can hear how much my drivetrain needs to be cleaned. Squeak squeak squeak
    > > > squeak...
    > >
    > > Heh, yeah, but if I could fit 'em on, I'd be going with 2 x Gazzaloddi
    > > 3.00's ',;~}~
    > >
    > > I love 'em off road, but what a feaking drag (literally) on it! I have
    > > whack the pressure up to 60 psi in each just so my legs don't explode on
    > my
    > > commutes. Gotta get me a lightweight, skinny tyred beater soon........
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - But when I drop 'em to sub 20 psi (been as low as 14 front
    and
    > > 12 rear!) off road, whooooo, such smoothness, cush and grip!
    >
    > I'm running the 2.7 Mobster on the front and I love it as well.

    I ove it too, but no where near as much as the Gazz - only got it because I needed a big tyre quick,
    and couldn't get another Gazz in time.

    > It's heavy as shit, but I don't care.

    Hehehe - yeah, they both are, but with the Gazz weighing in heavier.

    > I haven't flatted in over 6 months, but now that I said that it'll be flat when I go home to
    > ride it.

    I've never pinched with either of these tyres, even when I ran down to 12
    psi on the rear (let pressure out on the trail without a gauge and over did it, several times.....)
    and dinged the rim several times on big rocks.

    Shaun aRe - makes the HT ride like a Softail.

  15. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    > > I'm running the 2.7 Mobster on the front and I love it as well.
    >
    > I ove it too, but no where near as much as the Gazz - only got it because
    > needed a big tyre quick, and couldn't get another Gazz in time.

    Maybe I'll have to save up for that one, it was on my list but the Mobster was on sale, and hey,
    I'm cheap.

    > > It's heavy as shit, but I don't care.
    >
    > Hehehe - yeah, they both are, but with the Gazz weighing in heavier.

    What rims are you running? The Rhynolite XLs I've got barely take a 2.3, and you still get a hernia
    trying to pry them on. Although they've stayed true like no other wheel I've had.

    > > I haven't flatted in over 6 months, but now that I said that it'll be flat when I go home to
    > > ride it.
    >
    > I've never pinched with either of these tyres, even when I ran down to 12
    > psi on the rear (let pressure out on the trail without a gauge and over
    did
    > it, several times.....) and dinged the rim several times on big rocks.
    >
    > Shaun aRe - makes the HT ride like a Softail.

    Amen to that. Squishy rubber good.

    Alex

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    AlexN <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > I'm running the 2.7 Mobster on the front and I love it as well.
    > >
    > > I ove it too, but no where near as much as the Gazz - only got it
    because
    > > needed a big tyre quick, and couldn't get another Gazz in time.

    I'm a bit late back here (missed this somehow), bet what the heck, eh?

    > Maybe I'll have to save up for that one, it was on my list but the Mobster was on sale, and hey,
    > I'm cheap.

    I find them much nicer tyres than the Maxxis, but they wear a little faster. Like I said, I've run
    mine down at silly low pressures (12 psi one time), and they _really_ grip. Climbing slimy rocks in
    the wet, no problem. Coming down a slimy wet rocky route (off the hill at Grizedale forest
    (Cumbria), polished slate slab and boulder strewn bridleway, ripped down in torrential rain and
    never even nearly lost it), held on better than I could have hoped.

    > > > It's heavy as shit, but I don't care.
    > >
    > > Hehehe - yeah, they both are, but with the Gazz weighing in heavier.
    >
    > What rims are you running? The Rhynolite XLs I've got barely take a 2.3, and you still get a
    > hernia trying to pry them on. Although they've stayed true like no other wheel I've had.

    I'm using Mavic D521's laced to Deore (flangeless) hubs. Tyres come off with one lever, easy, and go
    back on with just my hands.

    > > > I haven't flatted in over 6 months, but now that I said that it'll be flat when I go home to
    > > > ride it.
    > >
    > > I've never pinched with either of these tyres, even when I ran down to
    12
    > > psi on the rear (let pressure out on the trail without a gauge and over
    > did
    > > it, several times.....) and dinged the rim several times on big rocks.
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe - makes the HT ride like a Softail.
    >

    > Amen to that. Squishy rubber good.
    >
    > Alex

    Oh aye! It's a sucker on the road/hardpack though, really saps momentum. Sometimes, you even have to
    pedall downhill to keep moving.............heheheheh.............

    Shaun aRe

  17. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > I ove it too, but no where near as much as the Gazz - only got it
    > because
    > > > needed a big tyre quick, and couldn't get another Gazz in time.
    >
    > I'm a bit late back here (missed this somehow), bet what the heck, eh?
    >
    > > Maybe I'll have to save up for that one, it was on my list but the
    Mobster
    > > was on sale, and hey, I'm cheap.
    >
    > I find them much nicer tyres than the Maxxis, but they wear a little
    faster.
    > Like I said, I've run mine down at silly low pressures (12 psi one time), and they _really_ grip.
    > Climbing slimy rocks in the wet, no problem.
    Coming
    > down a slimy wet rocky route (off the hill at Grizedale forest (Cumbria), polished slate slab and
    > boulder strewn bridleway, ripped down in
    torrential
    > rain and never even nearly lost it), held on better than I could have
    hoped.

    > > > Hehehe - yeah, they both are, but with the Gazz weighing in heavier.
    > >
    > > What rims are you running? The Rhynolite XLs I've got barely take a
    2.3,
    > > and you still get a hernia trying to pry them on. Although they've
    stayed
    > > true like no other wheel I've had.
    >
    > I'm using Mavic D521's laced to Deore (flangeless) hubs. Tyres come off
    with
    > one lever, easy, and go back on with just my hands.

    > > > I've never pinched with either of these tyres, even when I ran down to
    > 12
    > > > psi on the rear (let pressure out on the trail without a gauge and
    over
    > > did
    > > > it, several times.....) and dinged the rim several times on big rocks.
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe - makes the HT ride like a Softail.
    > >

    > > Amen to that. Squishy rubber good.
    > >
    > > Alex
    >
    > Oh aye! It's a sucker on the road/hardpack though, really saps momentum. Sometimes, you even have
    > to pedall downhill to keep moving.............heheheheh.............
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Yeah, I hear you on that one. It's definately a trade-off, but I'm willing to forgo the crappy
    road/hardpack handling and rolling resistance. I just wish the DH rubber didn't hurt the wallet so
    much, you could get a damn car tire for just as much.

    Alex

  18. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    AlexN <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Amen to that. Squishy rubber good.
    > > >
    > > > Alex
    > >
    > > Oh aye! It's a sucker on the road/hardpack though, really saps momentum. Sometimes, you even
    > > have to pedall downhill to keep moving.............heheheheh.............
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > Yeah, I hear you on that one. It's definately a trade-off, but I'm
    willing
    > to forgo the crappy road/hardpack handling and rolling resistance. I just wish the DH rubber
    > didn't hurt the wallet so much, you could get a damn
    car
    > tire for just as much.

    Gazz 2.6 = £40 each from the LBS (minus 15% club discount), but I can get one for £30 net-side.
    Bloody makes me wanna cry it does.....

    Shaun aRe