Panaracer TServ for Messenger tires

Jason Settles

Guest
Is anyone familiar with these tires? My LBS recommended them and I like them
so far. However, I can't find much of anything on them from Google.
Thanks for your comments.
*Jason. in Indy

Jason Settles wrote:
> Is anyone familiar with these tires? My LBS recommended them and I like them
> so far. However, I can't find much of anything on them from Google.
> Thanks for your comments.
> *Jason. in Indy

I have had good experiences with other Panaracer tires (Paselas in
three different widths and Stradius Elites in 700x23), but no direct
experience with TServs. However, one knowledgeble RBT regular, Mark
Hickey, seems to have good things to say about TServs. Perhaps he'll
comment here.

"Jason Settles" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with these tires? My LBS recommended them and I like them
> so far. However, I can't find much of anything on them from Google.
> Thanks for your comments.
> *Jason. in Indy

They're excellent tires. Very flat resistant, relatively light, handle
very well, and are relatively cheap (app. $30 each). I get about 3500
miles per pair out of them. Like most Panaracers, they run small, so a
28mm measures more like a 25mm, a 25mm maesures more like a slim 23mm,
etc. I've been using them for several years after having had them
recommended to me by Mark Hickey of Habanero Cycles.

--
Bennett Fischer
Brooklyn, NY

[email protected]
<http://www.auldlangsyne.org>

Jason Settles wrote:
> Is anyone familiar with these tires? My LBS recommended them and I like them
> so far. However, I can't find much of anything on them from Google.
> Thanks for your comments.
> *Jason. in Indy

Haven't got around to trying them yet, although I have little doubt
they're nice tires, as others have said. But thought I'd offer that
probably one reason they're somewhat seldom seen is that they only come
in folding, and the market for folding tires in wider sizes with
built-in flat protection is actually pretty small. Some dealers sell
plenty I'm sure, but many people who want tires like that also don't
particularly want to pay $35-40 for a tire, and are happy with the
cheaper price of steel beaded tires.

I have wanted to try these tires, but spent a lot of time trying to
find a source for them and gave up. Where are you getting them?

Tks,
Bill

spin156 wrote:
> I have wanted to try these tires, but spent a lot of time trying to
> find a source for them and gave up. Where are you getting them?
>
> Tks,
> Bill

qbp sells them so almost any shop in the US can get them

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> I have had good experiences with other Panaracer tires (Paselas in
> three different widths and Stradius Elites in 700x23), but no direct
> experience with TServs. However, one knowledgeble RBT regular, Mark
> Hickey, seems to have good things to say about TServs. Perhaps he'll
> comment here.

It has a thicker tread and a supposedly 'stronger' casing,
full name is something like "TServ for messengers".

Rearding lack of data, Panaracer are generally not sold
through the big discounters but usually through independent
distributors/independent LBS.
TServ folding are available in 700-25, 28, 32 and 35C then
also 26x1.75, 1.5, 1.25.

FWIW the casing doesn't look as finely woven as a Pasela.
The casing material has distinctive yellow 'mesh' laid over
a black thread. Panaracer says 'full kevlar' casing. That
mesh might be to resist casing bruises. They do seem durable
in use.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Haven't got around to trying them yet, although I have little doubt
> they're nice tires, as others have said. But thought I'd offer that
> probably one reason they're somewhat seldom seen is that they only
> come in folding, and the market for folding tires in wider sizes with
> built-in flat protection is actually pretty small.

Which is bizarre...who rides 28-32mm tires? Tourers. Who needs extra flat
resistance when riding long distances unsupported? Tourers. Who NEEDS
folding tires? Tourers.

Guess you just gotta find a touring-friendly shop.

Quoting Hank Wirtz <[email protected]>:
>Which is bizarre...who rides 28-32mm tires? Tourers. Who needs extra flat
>resistance when riding long distances unsupported? Tourers. Who NEEDS
>folding tires? Tourers.

I don't know as we NEED folding tyres. We did the E2E with a steel beaded
spare; the space inside it rolled into a triple loop is perfectly OK for
packing small tools and the like into.
Today is Gorgonzoladay, February - a weekend.

I had one - it is a nice looking tire, but after about 6 months of city
commuting, I found a round hole torn in the sidewall, about 5mm
diameter.

I didn't think it was particularly flat-proof while I was riding it. I
would buy one again, if it was cheaper.

Peter