Panaracer tyre - puncture proof!!!

Anders S. Claus

Guest
I know that Panaracer makes a puncture proof tyre .... and NOT for mountain bikes. Does anybody know
what it is called and is it being sold in the UK online????

Cheers.

Anders

"Anders S. Clausen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know that Panaracer makes a puncture proof tyre .... and NOT for
mountain
> bikes. Does anybody know what it is called and is it being sold in the
UK
> online????

Is it a pnuematic tyre? If so it's not puncture proof.

use Google Groups to find UK Panaracer dealers. SJS is one.

~PB

"Anders S. Clausen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know that Panaracer makes a puncture proof tyre .... and NOT for
mountain
> bikes. Does anybody know what it is called and is it being sold in the UK online????

I flatted quite a few puncture-proof Panaracer Tourguard tubulars before they stopped production. No
worse than any other tire of the same weight but no better, either.

I am not convinced that Kevlar/Aramid tread liners are any better than sprinkling gris-gris
powder on your wheels. Others seem to get good results and attribute their good fortune to the
Aramid layer.

Panaracer labels their lined models "Tourguard" and offer this feature in several clincher models.

"Anders S. Clausen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know that Panaracer makes a puncture proof tyre .... and NOT for
mountain
> bikes. Does anybody know what it is called and is it being sold in the UK online????

You can buy a lightweight kevlar felt liner for tyres from Panaracer if that's any use

Tony

"Anders S. Clausen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know that Panaracer makes a puncture proof tyre .... and NOT for
mountain
> bikes. Does anybody know what it is called and is it being sold in the UK online????

I've yet to try a tyre that didn't get a puncture at some time or other. The current Hutchinson
Globetrotter I'm using hasn't had one yet, but it's only been on a month. A Panaracer 737 I had on
last year had about half a dozen punctures in it's short life.

"Anders S. Clausen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know that Panaracer makes a puncture proof tyre .... and NOT for
mountain
> bikes. Does anybody know what it is called and is it being sold in the UK online????

And your Unix question is??

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:36:36 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've yet to try a tyre that didn't get a puncture at some time or other. The current Hutchinson
>Globetrotter I'm using hasn't had one yet, but it's only been on a month.

I use Globetrotters as winter tyres on the tourer. Although I've only done about 3,500 miles on
them, I never got a puncture. They seem pretty good - although I'm told the Conti Top Touring
is better.

Guy
===
Now available in both wedgie and bent flavours!

dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:53:53 -0700, "Cold Cathoid" <[email protected]> wrote:

>And your Unix question is??

Obviously he needs the appropriate Perl script to replace all instances of hole with patch,
recursively.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Guy Chapman <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've yet to try a tyre that didn't get a puncture at some time or other. The current Hutchinson
> >Globetrotter I'm using hasn't had one yet, but it's only been on a month.
>
> I use Globetrotters as winter tyres on the tourer. Although I've only done about 3,500 miles on
> them, I never got a puncture. They seem pretty good - although I'm told the Conti Top Touring
> is better.

I like my Conti TT's, but I'm not looking forward to flatting with them--they're the tightest tires
I've ever put on a wheel, and I've changed many a flat in my day. I remember a training ride where
several people struggled to install a Conti tire.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

In rec.bicycles.misc Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
: Obviously he needs the appropriate Perl script to replace all instances of hole with patch,
: recursively.

that's in perl6 along with the kitchen sink and every other feature request made by anyone in the
past 8 years. of course it's a bit heavy to take along while cycling.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"zeldabee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Guy Chapman <[email protected]> wrote:

> I like my Conti TT's, but I'm not looking forward to flatting with them--they're the tightest
> tires I've ever put on a wheel, and I've
changed
> many a flat in my day. I remember a training ride where several people struggled to install a
> Conti tire.

Yeah, really. It it took skill, patience, tools, and not a little cursing to get my TT2k's on
and off my Mavic 519 rims. They're great tires and I never had a flat, though; I just finally
wore them out.

I put Panaracer Pasela TG's on (because I had them already) and I can mount and unmount them with my
hands in no time at all. Good thing, because I've flatted twice in the first thousand miles, both
times from glass nuggets that I believe (without proof) would never have penetrated the Conti's.

But the Pasela is a nice, light, smooth, fast, easy-to-mount tire, I'll give 'em that.

RichC

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "zeldabee" <[email protected]> wrote...
> > Guy Chapman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I like my Conti TT's, but I'm not looking forward to flatting with them--they're the tightest
> > tires I've ever put on a wheel, and I've
> changed
> > many a flat in my day. I remember a training ride where several people struggled to install a
> > Conti tire.
>
> Yeah, really. It it took skill, patience, tools, and not a little cursing to get my TT2k's on and
> off my Mavic 519 rims. They're great tires and I never had a flat, though; I just finally wore
> them out.
>
> I put Panaracer Pasela TG's on (because I had them already) and I can mount and unmount them with
> my hands in no time at all. Good thing, because I've flatted twice in the first thousand miles,
> both times from glass nuggets that I believe (without proof) would never have penetrated the
> Conti's.

Of course, I'd rather not flat as often, and have more difficulty changing the tire, but then I
think I've mastered the technique of getting the TTs on. Once I get the tire all the way on but for
the last bit, I go back to the valve end and wiggle the tire a bit, working my way around on both
sides. I might have to do this twice. I'll still have a hard time getting it in, but it seems to
help. It also helps if I stay calm, stare off toward the horizon, and hum a little, as if I don't
really care whether the tire goes in or not. Seems to work.

> But the Pasela is a nice, light, smooth, fast, easy-to-mount tire, I'll give 'em that.

Ah, now I like a slick tire, and the tread on the TT took some getting used to. I like them much
better now that I've reversed the rear tire back the way I think it should be (Conti says to install
it backward FSR). I've got slicks on The Toy (racing-style road bike), and I do enjoy a spin on it
now and then. Like buttah.

--

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:35:18 -0500, "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I put Panaracer Pasela TG's on (because I had them already) and I can mount and unmount them
>with my hands in no time at all. Good thing, because I've flatted twice in the first thousand
>miles, both times from glass nuggets that I believe (without proof) would never have penetrated
>the Conti's.

These are the only tyres which have ever given me significant numbers of flats. They roll nicely,
but ultimately they pucture far too easily, so they're consigned to the back of the bike shed as
emergency replacements.

Guy
===
Now available in both wedgie and bent flavours!

dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Guy Chapman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:35:18 -0500, "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I put Panaracer Pasela TG's on (because I had them already) and I can
mount
> >and unmount them with my hands in no time at all. Good thing, because
I've
> >flatted twice in the first thousand miles, both times from glass nuggets that I believe (without
> >proof) would never have penetrated the Conti's.
>
> These are the only tyres which have ever given me significant numbers of flats. They roll nicely,
> but ultimately they pucture far too easily, so they're consigned to the back of the bike shed as
> emergency replacements.

My first PP TG's were 23mm and suffered pinch flats at the rate of 1 every 30 odd miles ('cos I'm a
fat *******). Since putting 28's on I've had no trouble -- which pretty much guarantees they will
flat cycling to the letter box & back :(

The World Tour's before that went many miles without problems (except for that magic season when
Farmer Giles celebrates his EU Subsidy cheque by distributing hedge clippings all over the roads).

The Specialized nuke proofs on my MTB punctured with a wincey little thorn straight through the
centre of the tread (and a fair chunk of rubber) first time out :(

Both the PP & Specs have Kevlar bands. The WT's don't.

**** & punctures happen. Get used to it.