Pancakes for breakfast

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jmcquown, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Jmcquown

Jmcquown Guest

I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix. Using
    my new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet I shall prepare pancakes (sans bunny -some of you know what that
    means! - if you want to know, email me.)

I have maple syrup and I do love maple syrup. But I think this morning I shall use pure cane syrup
    instead. I rarely treat myself to something this sweet... the bunny made me do it!

Jill

Tags:

2. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Guest

jmcquown wrote:

> I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    > Using my new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet I shall prepare pancakes (sans bunny -some of you know
    > what that means! - if you want to know, email me.)
    >
    > I have maple syrup and I do love maple syrup. But I think this morning I shall use pure cane syrup
    > instead. I rarely treat myself to something this sweet... the bunny made me do it!

I hate the thought of wasting good buttermilk on Bisquick. A cup of flour along with a teaspoon of
    sugar, teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and baking soda, and egg and a few
    tablespoons of oil or melted butter would give you the real McCoy. And of course it would be a shame
    not to use real maple syrup on them.

3. Hahabogus

Hahabogus Guest

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

>
    >
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    >> Using my new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet I shall prepare pancakes (sans bunny -some of you know
    >> what that means!
    >> - if you want to know, email me.)
    >>
    >> I have maple syrup and I do love maple syrup. But I think this morning I shall use pure cane
    >> syrup instead. I rarely treat myself to something this sweet... the bunny made me do it!
    >
    > I hate the thought of wasting good buttermilk on Bisquick. A cup of flour along with a teaspoon of
    > sugar, teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and baking soda, and egg and a few
    > tablespoons of oil or melted butter would give you the real McCoy. And of course it would be a
    > shame not to use real maple syrup on them.
    >
    >
    >

Instead of the norm...a syrup of some sort. Try thinking of the pancake as a thick crape. And spread
    some fruit compost/preserves on them and roll them up. Of course you might need to make larger
    diameter pancakes but I believe it to be worth the effort.

--
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

4. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Guest

"hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    > >> Using my new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet I shall prepare pancakes (sans bunny -some of you know
    > >> what that means!
    > >> - if you want to know, email me.)
    > >>
    > >> I have maple syrup and I do love maple syrup. But I think this morning I shall use pure cane
    > >> syrup instead. I rarely treat myself to something this sweet... the bunny made me do it!
    > >
    > > I hate the thought of wasting good buttermilk on Bisquick. A cup of flour along with a teaspoon
    > > of sugar, teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and baking soda, and egg and a
    > > few tablespoons of oil or melted butter would give you the real McCoy. And of course it would be
    > > a shame not to use real maple syrup on them.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Instead of the norm...a syrup of some sort. Try thinking of the pancake as a thick crape. And
    > spread some fruit compost/preserves on them and roll them up. Of course you might need to make
    > larger diameter pancakes but I believe it to be worth the effort.
    >
    I love pancakes this way. They work out best if you add an extra egg and a tablespoon or two extra
    of milk, Mix well and let sit for five minutes to set-up and achieve proper consistency.

5. Jmcquown

Jmcquown Guest

Dave Smith wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    > I hate the thought of wasting good buttermilk on Bisquick. A cup of flour

You are assuming I have the appropriate amounts of flour... I haven't been to the grocery store in
    a while :)

Jill

6. Jmcquown

Jmcquown Guest

hahabogus wrote:
    > Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    >>> Using my new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet I shall prepare pancakes (sans bunny -some of you know
    >>> what that means! - if you want to know, email me.)
    >>>
    >>> I have maple syrup and I do love maple syrup. But I think this morning I shall use pure cane
    >>> syrup instead.

>> I hate the thought of wasting good buttermilk on Bisquick. A cup of flour

(snip)
    >>
    > Instead of the norm...a syrup of some sort. Try thinking of the pancake as a thick crape. And
    > spread some fruit compost/preserves on them and roll them up. Of course you might need to make
    > larger diameter pancakes but I believe it to be worth the effort.

Silly you... when I make crepes they are always the savory kind and 8 inches in diameter to be
    filled. I like to fill them with cooked cubed chicken and (yes!) sauteed with mushrooms and cover
    them with a white wine cream sauce and then bake them. The crepes you speak of are for dessert, not
    what I want for my breakfast. But thanks for thinking of me ;o)

Jill

7. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Guest

jmcquown wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    > > I hate the thought of wasting good buttermilk on Bisquick. A cup of flour
    >
    > You are assuming I have the appropriate amounts of flour... I haven't been to the grocery store in
    > a while :)

Silly me. I had assumed that anyone who participates in a cooking forum would have such as staple
    ingredient on hand :)

8. Jmcquown

Jmcquown Guest

Dave Smith wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Smith wrote:
    >>> jmcquown wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    >>> I hate the thought of wasting good buttermilk on Bisquick. A cup of flour
    >>
    >> You are assuming I have the appropriate amounts of flour... I haven't been to the grocery store
    >> in a while :)
    >
    > Silly me. I had assumed that anyone who participates in a cooking forum would have such as staple
    > ingredient on hand :)

You'd normally be correct except that I got lazy and didn't bother to replenish the staples. I
    wasn't planning to make pancakes... that's something I rarely do. I do have enough flour to say,
    make a roux. Guess I'd better go to the store, huh?

Jill

9. The Joneses

The Joneses Guest

jmcquown wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
    > > Silly me. I had assumed that anyone who participates in a cooking forum would have such as
    > > staple ingredient on hand :)
    > You'd normally be correct except that I got lazy and didn't bother to replenish the staples. I
    > wasn't planning to make pancakes... that's something I rarely do. I do have enough flour to say,
    > make a roux. Guess I'd better go to the store, huh?

Say friends, wouldn't all those staples make for a heavy batter? I couldn't pass that one up. I had
    leftover spanish rice absolutely covered with a couple of those mozzarella cheese stick thingys.
    High protein and no caffiene. Edrena

10. Hw

Hw Guest

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix.
    > Using my new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet I shall prepare pancakes (sans bunny -some of you know
    > what that means! - if you want to know, email me.)
    >
    > I have maple syrup and I do love maple syrup. But I think this morning I shall use pure cane syrup
    > instead. I rarely treat myself to something
    this
    > sweet... the bunny made me do it!
    >
    > Jill had 3 waffles from Trader Joe's this morning at 1:00 am when I got home
    from work...w/maple syrup & unsalted butter....good snack before bedtime.. harriet & critters

11. The Cook

The Cook Guest

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have some buttermilk left over from making cornbread. I also have some Bisquick baking mix. Using
    >my new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet I shall prepare pancakes (sans bunny -some of you know what that
    >means! - if you want to know, email me.)
    >
    >I have maple syrup and I do love maple syrup. But I think this morning I shall use pure cane syrup
    >instead. I rarely treat myself to something this sweet... the bunny made me do it!
    >
    >Jill
    >

Did the rabbit die?
    --
    Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.