Pancreatic cancer survivors?



"Mr Ducky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > Perhaps, but, your studies notwithstanding, it is very much a question for study.
> >
> > My understanding of conventional cancer treatment is a lot of
oncologists
> > are unaware of how statins, cox 2 inhibitors, lowering glucose and
insulin,
> > and certain fats fight cancer. And the chances of there being any big clinical study like what
> > would be done when a drug is trying to get
approved
> > is pretty small since there's little economic incentive for any big
company
> > to put out the money. None of these things are patentable that are
unique
> > (for example, there are several statins on the market). So unless the
US
> > govt or another govt funds the studies, the studies won't be done. And
thus
> > all the numerous studies (and that's an understatement) on Pubmed about
the
> > effectiveness of statins and cox 2 inhibitors and particular fats will
be
> > ignored.
> >
> > Thus a cancer patient can decide to look at the evidence and decide to
do
> > some thinking and act on all the evidence instead of letting others do
the
> > thinking (or nonthinking) for them. It's similar to smoking and lung cancer.
>
> This is an interesting discussion. Orac, do you think that there is some truth to what Roger is
> saying concerning non-patentable treatments? If not, would you say that the treatments he is
> proposing are not actually promising, or that they are being aggressively pursued?
>
> Roger, what is your background?

Engineer with a great interest in chemistry and biochemistry.

> Are you or someone you know pursing these treatments?

No but I sure would if I had cancer.

Bill

>
> Thanks
 
[email protected] (Jack) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I get furious reading some of these studies because so many "bounce" participants out early due to
> severe side effects. Worse still, because they haven't "completed" the study, no reference is made
> to them or the side effects they suffered. I thought studies were devised to TELL US side effects,
> not HIDE them from us.

Did you read the link? "From January 1993 to April 1996 in the authors' private practice, 10
patients with inoperable, biopsy-proven pancreatic adenocarcinoma were entered into the trial. After
one patient dropped out, an 11th patient was added to the study (however, all 11 are considered in
the data tabulation)."

Unfortunately only the abstract is available online: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?-
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10368805&dopt=Abstract

> By the way, I've found EXCELLENT, current information on break-through pancreatic cancer
> treatments and protocols as well as interviews (video, audio, and transcripts) with some of the
> leading doc's and researchers treating PC. You can find them at http://www.robertsreview.com.

I don't see any useful information on your site. In fact, it looks more like affiliate spam.

>
> Jack
>
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<J_XXb.521794$X%5.348031@pd7tw2no>...
> > "Mr Ducky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Frank Gingrich <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > > Why would anyone want personal experince with the Gonzales treatment? Cancer tries in many
> > > > ways to destroy your dignity, but you don't have to throw it away on snake oil.
> > >
> > > It certainly is peculiar, but while few cancer treatments seem very dignified, this one at
> > > least has some evidence of efficacy. Do you have some personal experience with the treatment,
> > > or are you dismissing it simply because it seems so strange?
> > >
> > > This page has information about a small trial study of the treatment:
> > >
> > > http://www.dr-gonzalez.com/pilot_study_abstract_txt.htm
> > >
> >
> >
> > Why don't you understand the deficiencies of this "study"?
 
"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<J_XXb.521794$X%5.348031@pd7tw2no>...
> > It certainly is peculiar, but while few cancer treatments seem very dignified, this one at least
> > has some evidence of efficacy. Do you have some personal experience with the treatment, or are
> > you dismissing it simply because it seems so strange?
> >
> > This page has information about a small trial study of the treatment:
> >
> > http://www.dr-gonzalez.com/pilot_study_abstract_txt.htm
>
> Why don't you understand the deficiencies of this "study"?

I understand that it is limited and doesn't prove anything. However, I also understand that
unresectable pancreatic cancer quickly leads to death, and that it is unusual for 4 out of 11
patients to survive 3 years.

Perhaps you can explain to me why this "study" should be completely discarded and ignored.
 
"Mr Ducky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<J_XXb.521794$X%5.348031@pd7tw2no>...
> > > It certainly is peculiar, but while few cancer treatments seem very dignified, this one at
> > > least has some evidence of efficacy. Do you have some personal experience with the treatment,
> > > or are you dismissing it simply because it seems so strange?
> > >
> > > This page has information about a small trial study of the treatment:
> > >
> > > http://www.dr-gonzalez.com/pilot_study_abstract_txt.htm
> >
> > Why don't you understand the deficiencies of this "study"?
>
> I understand that it is limited and doesn't prove anything. However, I also understand that
> unresectable pancreatic cancer quickly leads to death, and that it is unusual for 4 out of 11
> patients to survive 3 years.
>
> Perhaps you can explain to me why this "study" should be completely discarded and ignored.

Because any study with a tiny number of patients suffering from a common disease, and accrued over a
fairly lengthy period of time, is certainly a highly selected series. Any highly selected series of
patients will have a better median survival than average.