Pancreatitis

Vincent Hauger

Dec 13, 2016
Does anyone out there ride with this condition. I love to ride but have been leary about getting back on my bike because of possible side pain. I was thinking about getting a recumbent trike thinking that I might not get the side pain that I was getting with my upright.

I had pancreatitis inflammation in the past because of heavy drinking and smoking plus a heavy fat diet gave me stones that blocked my pancreatic duct. I can still remember that it was really painful. it's like being stabbed by a hot knife and what's worst you don't know when the pain would strike. I was prescribed a low fat diet and pain killers but what really helped me was drinking lots of hot turmeric tea and getting a steam bath with one of those portable steamers or going to a sauna, it seems the external heat and the turmeric and ginger tea can burn the fat and can melt or dislodge the stones.

My husband was once hospitalized due to pancreatitis which is the swelling of the pancreas. He was about 30 at that time. I think it was due to the food. The prescription was to eat moderately and selectively. Regarding sports, I don't think you can ride if you have abdominal pains brought about by pancreatitis because that sickness requires rest to calm the swelling so the pain will subside. Physical exertion may just aggravate the pan and worse, you can land into a hospital if the pain becomes unbearable.

Pancreatitis can easily be treated in the hospital and is not worth risking your health biking until you have yourself checked and cleared by a doctor to perform physical activities.