Pandora's Krapfen recipe [was:Krapfen?]

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Pandora, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
    Cheers
    Pandora

    Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)

    Category: cakes
    Nb persons: 14

    500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
    100g milk - (lukewarm)
    3 eggs - (whole)
    5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
    7g salt
    70g sugar
    100 g butter - softened a little
    200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
    peanuts oil - for fying
    custard - for stuffing

    1) Boil potatoes with skin and then mush them; set aside.
    2) In a food processor or in a dough machine, provided with special plastic
    hook accessory, prepare a sort of Biga with 90 g. of flour, milk and yeast;
    let it rise for about one hour.
    3) After one hour add eggs, salt, sugar and 300 g of flour. Set the machine
    going at medium speed till dough is well mixed. Then add mashed potatoes at
    room temperature and the remaining 200 g of flour; add also butter (just
    softened but not liquid) and set again the machine going using pulse button.
    You will obtain a very soft and elastic dough, very diffiuclt to work; for
    this reason, if your food processor doesn't turn, keep the dough away and
    continue by hand with the help of a spatula. The important thing is you must
    not add other flour. When the dough is homogeneous, you can let it rise in
    the same machine or in a bowl (covered with a dishcloth) for about two hours
    or more.
    4) When the dough is risen, transfer it over a floured rolling board giving
    it a round shape, then press a little with your hands and begin the "turn
    technique": pull gently a border of the disk toward external and then fold
    it toward the disk centre. Go on like this with the other 3-4 corners till
    you finish the turn. Repeat this action a second time, then turn over the
    dough, cover with a film (to avoid drying) and with an overturning salad
    bowl.
    Let the dough rise for another hour.
    5) Turn over the dough again, fold it in two and, with a rolling pin, level
    it at about one centimeter thickness.
    6) Using a glass of about 8 centimeters of diameter, cut the disks (knead
    again scraps of dough) , cover with a film and let them rise for another
    half an hour.
    Fry them preferable in a wok filled with a lot of oil putting inside oil the
    part of disk which was up.
    Temperature of oil is very important: It must be not very hot; I would say
    160°-170°. Because if the oil is very hot, your krapfen will burn out, while
    inside it will remain raw. Fry your disk (about 5 minutes for side), few at
    a time; you will see they rise a lot inside oil.
    Dry over absorbent paper and spread with some sugar. Let them cool before
    stuffing (using a sac a poche provided of a long mouth) with very hard
    custard.

    Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
    Calories 231kcal
    Protein 6g (12%)
    Total Fat 8g (12%)
    Sat. 4g (21%)
    Chol. 56mg (19%)
    Carb. 34g (11%)
    Fiber 1g (4%)
    Sugars 6g
    Calcium 23mg (2%)
    Iron 2mg (10%)

    ----------

    Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)

    Tags:

  2. On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

    > For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
    > Cheers
    > Pandora
    >

    > Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)
    >
    > Category: cakes
    > Nb persons: 14
    >
    > 500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
    > 100g milk - (lukewarm)
    > 3 eggs - (whole)
    > 5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
    > 7g salt
    > 70g sugar
    > 100 g butter - softened a little
    > 200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
    > peanuts oil - for fying
    > custard - for stuffing

    Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list, I am
    reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts. It was
    a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah. "Spuds" is a
    nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops did, indeed,
    contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the fryer. There
    are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone and I don't think
    new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
    >

    >> For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
    >> Cheers
    >> Pandora
    >>

    >> Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)
    >>
    >> Category: cakes
    >> Nb persons: 14
    >>
    >> 500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
    >> 100g milk - (lukewarm)
    >> 3 eggs - (whole)
    >> 5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
    >> 7g salt
    >> 70g sugar
    >> 100 g butter - softened a little
    >> 200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
    >> peanuts oil - for fying
    >> custard - for stuffing

    > Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list, I
    > am
    > reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts. It was
    > a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah. "Spuds" is a
    > nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops did, indeed,
    > contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the fryer. There
    > are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone and I don't think
    > new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

    Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough. In this
    way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
    cheers
    and happy to here of you again
    Pandora

    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    > ____________________
    >
    > BIOYA

  4. On Tue 28 Feb 2006 08:45:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:[email protected]
    >> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Pandora?
    >>

    >>> For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Pandora
    >>>

    >>> Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)
    >>>
    >>> Category: cakes
    >>> Nb persons: 14
    >>>
    >>> 500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
    >>> 100g milk - (lukewarm)
    >>> 3 eggs - (whole)
    >>> 5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
    >>> 7g salt
    >>> 70g sugar
    >>> 100 g butter - softened a little
    >>> 200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
    >>> peanuts oil - for fying custard - for stuffing

    >> Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list,
    >> I am reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts.
    >> It was a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah.
    >> "Spuds" is a nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops
    >> did, indeed, contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the
    >> fryer. There are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone
    >> and I don't think new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

    > Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough. In
    > this way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
    > cheers
    > and happy to here of you again
    > Pandora

    I think the potatoes also make the them more moist. Anyway, Spudnuts are
    delicious. I bet yours are even better!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  5. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue 28 Feb 2006 08:45:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
    >

    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
    >> messaggio news:[email protected]
    >>> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >>> Pandora?

    >>> Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list,
    >>> I am reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts.
    >>> It was a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah.
    >>> "Spuds" is a nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops
    >>> did, indeed, contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the
    >>> fryer. There are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone
    >>> and I don't think new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

    >> Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough. In
    >> this way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
    >> cheers
    >> and happy to here of you again
    >> Pandora

    > I think the potatoes also make the them more moist.

    Yes!

    Anyway, Spudnuts are
    > delicious. I bet yours are even better!

    It's a pity I can't taste Spudnuts :)
    Cheers
    Pandora

    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    > ____________________
    >
    > BIOYA

  6. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:[email protected]
    >> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 08:45:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Pandora?
    >>

    >>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
    >>> messaggio news:[email protected]

    >>> Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough.
    >>> In
    >>> this way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
    >>> cheers
    >>> and happy to here of you again
    >>> Pandora

    >> I think the potatoes also make the them more moist.

    > Yes!
    >
    > Anyway, Spudnuts are
    >> delicious. I bet yours are even better!

    > It's a pity I can't taste Spudnuts :)
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    Hi Pandora; I've been watching for your recipe and I must be missing some
    posts and i did check. I never saw your original for the recipe, but I
    have it now.

    Thanks so much!

    MoM

  7. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "MoM" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi Pandora; I've been watching for your recipe and I must be missing some
    > posts and i did check. I never saw your original for the recipe, but I
    > have it now.
    >
    > Thanks so much!
    >
    > MoM

    Thank you to you! It's a long time we don't talk :)
    I Am happy to hear of you again ;)
    Cheers
    Pandora