Pandora's Krapfen recipe [was:Krapfen?]

Pandora

Guest
For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)

Category: cakes
Nb persons: 14

500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
100g milk - (lukewarm)
3 eggs - (whole)
5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
7g salt
70g sugar
100 g butter - softened a little
200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
peanuts oil - for fying
custard - for stuffing

1) Boil potatoes with skin and then mush them; set aside.
2) In a food processor or in a dough machine, provided with special plastic
hook accessory, prepare a sort of Biga with 90 g. of flour, milk and yeast;
let it rise for about one hour.
3) After one hour add eggs, salt, sugar and 300 g of flour. Set the machine
going at medium speed till dough is well mixed. Then add mashed potatoes at
room temperature and the remaining 200 g of flour; add also butter (just
softened but not liquid) and set again the machine going using pulse button.
You will obtain a very soft and elastic dough, very diffiuclt to work; for
this reason, if your food processor doesn't turn, keep the dough away and
continue by hand with the help of a spatula. The important thing is you must
not add other flour. When the dough is homogeneous, you can let it rise in
the same machine or in a bowl (covered with a dishcloth) for about two hours
or more.
4) When the dough is risen, transfer it over a floured rolling board giving
it a round shape, then press a little with your hands and begin the "turn
technique": pull gently a border of the disk toward external and then fold
it toward the disk centre. Go on like this with the other 3-4 corners till
you finish the turn. Repeat this action a second time, then turn over the
dough, cover with a film (to avoid drying) and with an overturning salad
bowl.
Let the dough rise for another hour.
5) Turn over the dough again, fold it in two and, with a rolling pin, level
it at about one centimeter thickness.
6) Using a glass of about 8 centimeters of diameter, cut the disks (knead
again scraps of dough) , cover with a film and let them rise for another
half an hour.
Fry them preferable in a wok filled with a lot of oil putting inside oil the
part of disk which was up.
Temperature of oil is very important: It must be not very hot; I would say
160°-170°. Because if the oil is very hot, your krapfen will burn out, while
inside it will remain raw. Fry your disk (about 5 minutes for side), few at
a time; you will see they rise a lot inside oil.
Dry over absorbent paper and spread with some sugar. Let them cool before
stuffing (using a sac a poche provided of a long mouth) with very hard
custard.

Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
Calories 231kcal
Protein 6g (12%)
Total Fat 8g (12%)
Sat. 4g (21%)
Chol. 56mg (19%)
Carb. 34g (11%)
Fiber 1g (4%)
Sugars 6g
Calcium 23mg (2%)
Iron 2mg (10%)

----------

Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)

On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

> For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
> Cheers
> Pandora
>

> Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)
>
> Category: cakes
> Nb persons: 14
>
> 500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
> 100g milk - (lukewarm)
> 3 eggs - (whole)
> 5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
> 7g salt
> 70g sugar
> 100 g butter - softened a little
> 200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
> peanuts oil - for fying
> custard - for stuffing

Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list, I am
reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts. It was
a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah. "Spuds" is a
nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops did, indeed,
contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the fryer. There
are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone and I don't think
new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
>

>> For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

>> Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)
>>
>> Category: cakes
>> Nb persons: 14
>>
>> 500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
>> 100g milk - (lukewarm)
>> 3 eggs - (whole)
>> 5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
>> 7g salt
>> 70g sugar
>> 100 g butter - softened a little
>> 200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
>> peanuts oil - for fying
>> custard - for stuffing

> Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list, I
> am
> reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts. It was
> a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah. "Spuds" is a
> nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops did, indeed,
> contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the fryer. There
> are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone and I don't think
> new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough. In this
way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
cheers
and happy to here of you again
Pandora

> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

On Tue 28 Feb 2006 08:45:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Pandora?
>>

>>> For thos interested, here is my recipe for Krapfen.
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora
>>>

>>> Pandora's KRAPFEN (recipe)
>>>
>>> Category: cakes
>>> Nb persons: 14
>>>
>>> 500 g strong flour - (I have used manitoba flour)
>>> 100g milk - (lukewarm)
>>> 3 eggs - (whole)
>>> 5 g dry yeast - (or 15 g fresh)
>>> 7g salt
>>> 70g sugar
>>> 100 g butter - softened a little
>>> 200 g mashed potatoes - weighted with skin
>>> peanuts oil - for fying custard - for stuffing

>> Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list,
>> I am reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts.
>> It was a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah.
>> "Spuds" is a nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops
>> did, indeed, contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the
>> fryer. There are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone
>> and I don't think new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

> Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough. In
> this way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
> cheers
> and happy to here of you again
> Pandora

I think the potatoes also make the them more moist. Anyway, Spudnuts are
delicious. I bet yours are even better!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 08:45:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
>> messaggio news:[email protected]...
>>> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 02:08:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> Pandora?

>>> Those look lovely, Pandora. As I see potatoes in the ingredient list,
>>> I am reminded of a long ago donut chain here in the US called Spudnuts.
>>> It was a franchise chain that originated in the 1940s in Utah.
>>> "Spuds" is a nickname for potatoes. The donuts from the Spudnut shops
>>> did, indeed, contain potatoes, and were usually available warm from the
>>> fryer. There are still a few Spudnut shops around, but most are gone
>>> and I don't think new franchises are available. Just a bit of trivia.

>> Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough. In
>> this way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
>> cheers
>> and happy to here of you again
>> Pandora

> I think the potatoes also make the them more moist.

Yes!

Anyway, Spudnuts are
> delicious. I bet yours are even better!

It's a pity I can't taste Spudnuts :)
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue 28 Feb 2006 08:45:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Pandora?
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel
>>> messaggio news:[email protected]...

>>> Oh! It's a pity. In this recipe potatoes are used to soft the dough.
>>> In
>>> this way it seams you will taste a cloud :)
>>> cheers
>>> and happy to here of you again
>>> Pandora

>> I think the potatoes also make the them more moist.

> Yes!
>
> Anyway, Spudnuts are
>> delicious. I bet yours are even better!

> It's a pity I can't taste Spudnuts :)
> Cheers
> Pandora

Hi Pandora; I've been watching for your recipe and I must be missing some
posts and i did check. I never saw your original for the recipe, but I
have it now.

Thanks so much!

MoM

"MoM" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> Hi Pandora; I've been watching for your recipe and I must be missing some
> posts and i did check. I never saw your original for the recipe, but I
> have it now.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> MoM

Thank you to you! It's a long time we don't talk :)
I Am happy to hear of you again ;)
Cheers
Pandora